OC-Centric "Universe-Hopping" Crossover interest?

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Boy Wonder, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I've had an idea once for a crossover RP styled after Kingdom Hearts.

The story starts out in an original world where technology has advanced to a point where people can mimic abilities native to other universes (anime, video games, movies, books, etc.) through the use of an object. John Doe, for example, doesn't have any special abilities by himself, but by using one of his special items, he'll end up with the abilities of a Shinigami from Bleach, or magic and equipment from a Final Fantasy game, or maybe a wand and robe from Harry Potter. Each character will have more than one (but will only start with one or two) and the story of the RP will take the characters into the worlds of different universes in order to...stop some threat.

Each world might have a storyline taken directly from whatever show/game/book/whatever it is from or an original storyline that fits within the canon, depending on what's best for the RP. For each world, different canon characters may come under the control of the RPers, but will have to be left behind when it's time to move on (at least, for the beginning!).

Is this something anybody would be interested in?

2. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

A friend and I had discussed something similar to this when we were getting bored of DnD campaigns. I honestly I think this is a great idea; albeit it obviously needs work.

3. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

I might have interest in something like this as long as it doesn't look too messy.
    To me, Mario's High School Days looks kinda like a mess.. @_@

4. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Sounds similar to Project X Zone, where people know that Hadoukens and demons and all exist and just take it stride then end up universe and time hopping...

Count me in.[DOUBLEPOST=1442932542][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Rude much? Not to get off-topic but bashing on another RP isn't really warranted.

5. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

Sorry to be rude. Just looking at the topic left me cross-eyed.

6. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I'd give it a shot.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Awesome! It looks like there's at least some interest. The way I'm imagining it at the moment is that there's some object -which I'm tentatively calling a "Crossover Medal"- that houses the abilities/powers/equipment of a certain person and, when activated, allows its user to "wear" said abilities/powers/equipment. It'll function in a way that keeps the RP somewhat fair (Looking for a way to limit Superman-like powers, for example) and lets the users adopt the "physics" of whichever universe from which its borrowing power. Using a ninja from Naruto or a Soul Reaper from Bleach will let someone harness chakra and reishi, respectively, or a Saiyan from Dragon Ball will use chi, etc. regardless of which world they're currently on.
    I think, I'll come up with the first list of worlds to visit depending on which characters people decide to "wear." Then start coming up with new ones. Everyone's OC will start out with one or two Medals, tops, but will be able to gain more as we visit worlds. I think at some point, I'll institute a max (five or six?), but let people trade them out between missions a la a Pokemon storage system.
    I'm also thinking about letting people permanently play as non-OCs and actual canon characters. Maybe they'll get recruited into the mission and be able to obtain their own Medals? An idea I'm playing with -if I go with that- is that OCs have to wear a specific character's powers, but a canon character can maybe come up with original powers based on the universe ze's borrowing from? So my OC can wear Ichigo Kurosaki's powers and weapon from Bleach, but if I claim Ichigo, he can come up with his own ninjutsu and stuff from Naruto. However, that sounds a bit more complicated.
    The other issue I was wondering about was a setting: I'm currently trying to decide between the cliche academy setting (students training to be "reality defenders" get chosen to travel and stop the threat) or a kind of military corps setting (actual officers/soldiers enlisting to stop the threat). That's more of a jumping off point than any huge plot, but it'll decide on what the threat is, exactly. There's even an in-between option (the academy trains students to be in the corps). What would you guys prefer?[DOUBLEPOST=1443059084][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: One thing I meant to mention earlier, I think it would be a cool idea -after obtaining the right permissions of course- to even crossover into another RP's world. It might not happen as we'd either have to have both sets of RPers together or "borrow" their characters (which I'm leaning against, honestly), but it'd be something to consider.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Count me in if this ever gets rolling. Been enjoying all your RP's, this one's got the most interest from me so far!

9. Hiro ✩ Guardian

@Boy Wonder i feel like the medals should just be copies of powers as opposed to Canon Character using other medals. Like keep Canons with fixed stuff, but the medals just house copies of powers so both characters can have them all at once.

Crossing over into another RPs reality would be really good, but that shouldn't be until way later when we have a good pacing and a way better idea of how it could work.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Yeah, after posting them, I decided against that idea. It'd be more complicated than needed to be.
    I think it would be an amazing achievement to have something like that. Regardless, it's not something to attempt until we get quite into the story.[DOUBLEPOST=1443160191][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: Here's what I have so far.

If "space" is where and "time" is when, then "infinity" is all. There is a never-ending number of universes inside Infinity, held apart by dimensional barriers. Many of these universes are parallel versions of each other, alternate copies of the same people, places, and even history. Each universe has its own laws of physics, magic, divinity, and reality; as far as its inhabitants are concerned, their universe is infinity. However, the real Infinity is bigger, holding all that is, was, and ever will be as well as the dimensional barriers that divide them. Travel between universes is not impossible, but dependent on the universes themselves.

Unless you are from Crux, of course.

Crux is a planet with no alternate version. It is completely unique. Its trademark characteristic is its malleable nature. Existing outside of space and time itself, but at the very center of Infinity, those born on Crux have the strange genetic ability to exist in any universe within Infinity. Unlike the other universes, the planet of Crux is completely aware of Infinity and the other universes; they are able to monitor other universes and copy their physics and technology. Cruxian scientists have long since discovered how to take abilities native to one universe and copy into Crux itself. The creation of "Crossover Medals" even allows average Cruxians to temporarily "wear" the abilities, powers, equipment, and nature of anyone from any universe. The use of Crossover Medals, however, is very regulated.

Because of its nature, the citizens of Crux have tasked themselves with defending Infinity from cross-dimensional threats -those that would endanger the fabric of reality and the peace between universes. To that end, the Reality Defender Brigade was assembled. Using government-issued Crossover Medals, the RDB is tasked with traveling between universes and preventing them from learning Infinity's true nature, as well as defending them from outside threats.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  11. Lite The Future

I really like the sound of this concept, especially the Crossover Medals. Count me in if/when it gets going.

12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Well, alright, then! Guess I'll try to finalize a main thread today, then!

13. Hiro ✩ Guardian

As OC centric as this would be, are we going to be able to have one or two canon characters to go along with it all? I have like two characters I want to try writing and I'm curious.

14. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

As of right now, I'm leaning towards temporary canon characters. They'll stay in their own world while OCs are there. I've been playing with the idea of maybe a few canon characters being recruited and moving world-to-world with the OCs. However, if you want someone from the beginning, I do think I have a way of implementing that into the story, depending on the character(s).

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Just an update. This is still being developed. I was planning on staggering it with my other RP so as not to start them at the same time, but it should have been posted by now. I had a good bit typed up and then lost it when my laptop died (#irresponsibletechie) so now it's just regaining the motivation to type everything back up again.
    If anyone is wanting to help with any aspect of it, feel free to share (in this thread or personally with me). Hopefully, I'll have it retyped up within the next couple of days.

16. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

If anybody from this thread is still interested in the idea, I have everything virtually done except for character forms. If you want a peek at it before it's posted, let me know~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.