Pokkén Tournament

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Meilin Lee, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Basically, this is a Pokemon version of Tekken (and is overseen by Tekken series director Katushiro Harada). Only announced for a Japanese release in 2015 as an arcade game, but it's expected to be released to the Wii U eventually.

2. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Magikarp better damn well be playable. >:C

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

magikarp 2 op pls nerf

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Japanese arcades- we'll probably never see this.

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

EDIT: Seriously, I really want Magikarp to be playable.
    I've read that in Japan the arcade version of fighters come out first followed by the console version. We'll see it in a few months after release.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Uhhhh.... That's... not at all true? Like, yes, the arcade versions of fighters come out... for big name fighters.

7. Antidote Façade

A Pokemon version of Tekken. Wow that's...honestly something I would've never imagined!

I'm curious to see what Pokes will be in this. The trailer has Lucario and Machamp who are fighting types but also have humanoid stances- they're on two legs and are able to throw punches and kicks. I wonder how other kinds of Pokemon would be worked into this since it's like Tekken.

8. burnitup Still the Best 1973

*shrug* I don't know. I'm just telling you what I've heard. :\

It'll come out eventually to console.

9. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

10. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

So why did it have a super quiet reveal? Why did it say "Japanese Arcades"? I don't think we're going to get this one.

11. Antidote Façade

Dude, I honestly don't know why you think that we wouldn't get this. Like most fighting games, it is making its debut in Japanese arcades, then a console release on the Wii U will follow most likely in JP first then in other territories.

Look at it this way; Pokemon as a franchise is huge worldwide- there has -never- been a Pokemon game, main entry or otherwise, that hasn't made it over to NA/EU. I don't see them starting with this one.

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Nintendo has made a couple of exclusive arcade machines before. Mario Kart rings a bell. We got that Mario Kart, but only in cab form. It never hit consoles.

I don't know why I'm being berated here- it's not uncommon for a Japanese company to release a Japanese only arcade cab based off a pre-existing franchise for a quick buck. In the old days, this is what SEGA did with SegaSonic the Hedgehog. It's happened recently. It's speculation just as much as it's speculation on your end to say it's coming for console.

The facts we have now:

-Uploaded video says "coming to Japanese arcades"
    -Nothing in video showed a targeted console release
    -No press release given out for announcement to English journalists
    -Not announced in a Nintendo Direct

The only support we have to an English release is that they're responding to English fans.

13. Hayabusa Venomous

I bet half my brain that the game comes to consoles outside of Japan. The video was uploaded on YouTube by The Official Pokemon Channel, a channel that has been used for a bunch of reveal videos for Pokemon games that have been released (and will be released, as in the case of Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby) internationally, with English captions in the video. Plus, it's Pokemon, which saw Pokemon X and Pokemon Y sell 1 million copies in a day, much of those sales I'm just going to assume were U.S. Plus, Tekken (which part of the the development team for Pokken Tournament developed) is still a pretty big fighting game series in the U.S.

Anyway, I hope that we get characters like Scrafty, Toxicroak, Mewtwo, and maybe even a tank like Aggron.

14. Darkandroid Gets it Together

Was not expecting anything like this.

I'm quite liking the idea of Nintendo pimping out their licenses to other publishers to pout their spin(off) on things.

15. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

I want this.

So much.

16. 61 No. B

This isn't something I ever wanted. Like I'm sure it will be good and if it ever comes to the 3ds of course I'll play it, but for me Pokemon is about partnering with Pokemon, not being Pokemon. I'm not trying to put the game down or anything, but for my personal experience it would be really weird.

17. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Which is a reason why I have zero interest in the Mystery Dungeon games, but I think with Pokken being a fighting game, it's to show off Fighting-types actually, you know, fighting.

18. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

New info from Famitsu:

Source

19. Fellangel Bichael May

I thought it would be something similar to Pokemon Stadium, but apparently not. I really don't know how to feel about this game. I'll need to see how the game functions. Even then, it may be a pass for me.

20. Antidote Façade

You're not being berated dude. We're having a discussion about a video game. I'm just failing to understand your reasoning as to why this wouldn't be released on consoles or in the West. You're using Mario Kart and Sonic as examples of Japan's history of arcade-only releases, but that's not how fighting games work. I'm not sure how much of a follower you are of the genre, but fighting games made in Japan will firstly debut in arcades, and this will be the case for months/maybe a year or so until a console release date is announced. I could understand if this was Melty Blood or another niche fighting game for example, but it's not. It's Pokemon in the vein of Tekken, two huge franchises that are popular worldwide. I just can't see them not going all the way with this.