Support Problem with YouTube Video Streaming

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Has anyone else been having this problem lately? The video is self-explanatory.

The video shown, for example, has a length of 20:18, but watch closely, and you'll see the issue clearly:

The issue seems to be buffering issues. However, if the buffer bar isn't completely loaded, it should just stop until it loads more, not act as if the video reached the end and act as if it were shorter in length. Additionally, I know it's not our ISP, as it's supposed to buffer to the end almost instantly, and it hasn't been a problem until today. I tried clearing my browser data, and that didn't work. I tried Google Chrome, and it was the same issue, so it's not Mozilla Firefox.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a side effect of our stupid modem problems that shouldn't be happening, in which case completely resetting the modem and router might help?

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I don't seem to have this problem. Link to the specific video?

It could just have been youtube running a maintenance or change to the server/site. It could have been a problem during uploading of the video. It could have been a problem with your modem. I'm afraid cases like these can't be narrowed down with just a short explanation. There are a number of possibilities and, without being able to investigate in person, it's highly unlikely we'll be able to find it.

Have you tried on a different network (ISP, like at a restaurant or library or something) to see if it's just a local anomaly? If you do that, and it narrows it down to just being at your place, and seeing as you're having/had modem problems, I'd say your modem would most likely be the answer.

Hope this helped ^^

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Video I was watching:

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I'm going to go ahead and hazard a guess, if this problem is still occuring for you, it's your modem. I have no problems loading or watching the video you linked. You may want to contact your ISP and make ask them to come and take a look at the modem for you, or even send you a replacement.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

If you fully read my OP, the only thing I can guess is that it's a side effect from possibly the last modem reset that SHOULDN'T be happening. I guess I can try to reset it

If I watch in 240p, it seems to be problem free. Obviously, I don't want that.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Just another really quick question. You've never had problems before with watching videos in higher resolution, right?

You could try resetting but if it keeps acting up I'd contact your ISP about it.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

It started about a week ago.

While I do often miss days, I try every day to have Music Time, which is where I play seven music videos for my mom to hear in the living room. Oddly enough, there were no issues with them buffering / loading at 480p, 720p, and 1080p last night.

8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Okay, another really quick question. How often through the day does it occur? Does it happen around the same general time, or does it happen at varying times?

Alright, I agree it's 95% likely a fault with your modem. If the problem persists, again, I'd recommend contacting them to see about repairs/replacement.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Always. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence-type deal or what, but it seems to affect game videos and not official channel music videos and such.

Well, it's not my computer. It's doing the same on my mom's.

I guess I'll try resetting the modem and router.[DOUBLEPOST=1366320755][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, I tried it at the GED place, and it didn't seem to have problems.

Guess we'll be calling the ISP idiots.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

That's about the only way your going to figure out what is going on. They'll be able to inspect the problem and solve it for you (if it has to do with the modem). If it isn't the modem and it's your computer, you'll have to see a computer technician, but I'm pretty positive it's your modem. Good luck with it all ^^

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so we never called, but this seemed to resolve itself a while ago. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Lock, por favor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.