Re:CoM FMV Extractor

Discussion in 'Video Showcase' started by Daydreamer, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Daydreamer

Updated tool: link

Continued from KH2, here are the scripts and utilities needed to rip Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories FMV's.

Windows 9.88 MB
    Linux 47.74 KB

These scripts and utilities should work with any Linux distribution with a desktop environment and Windows 2000 or later.

The scripts use common Unix programs, made available on Windows through Cygwin. Other required programs are MPlayer and PSS_demux. All programs are included on the Windows ZIP file. Linux users should already have all the common Unix tools installed, but just in case, I have made a list of them below. Linux users will also need to install MPlayer, you can do so through your package manager. PSS_demux works under Wine with Visual C++ 6 libraries.

List of required Linux/Unix programs:
    bash, dd, echo, expr, grep, head, hexdump, printf, rm, uname
    Programs in italics are not included in GNU's coreutils package.

Hardware requirements include a disk drive that can read PS2 disks, about 7 GB of free hard drive space, and a working sound card.

Windows users, execute the console.bat file found in the ZIP file and follow on-screen instructions.

2. Misty gimme kiss

Awesome, definitely going to give these a go. <3 Thanks a bunch, Crisp!

Edit: Alright, so I have the M2V and the WAV files, but I'm trying to mux them together in Vegas. Because Vegas doesn't accept M2V files, I used VirtualDub Mod to convert it to a losless AVI. That seems to create a problem with the aspect ratio.

M2V:
    [​IMG]

AVI:
    [​IMG]

Thinking it might be VirtualDub Mod's fault I tried it in DVD2AVI and got the same results. Any ideas?

3. Daydreamer

Ah, I had forgotten to mention the thing about aspect ratios. There is nothing wrong with Virtualdub Mod's output, Re:CoM FMV's have a resolution of 320×352, and a display aspect ratio of 16:10. This DAR (display aspect ratio) is non-standard for MPEG2's, so instead they are flagged as having a DAR of 4:3. Programs like Vitualdub Mod display videos in their native resolutions, this is why you see two different aspect ratios. To correct this, you can re-encode the FMV's with a pixel aspect of 44:25, or upscale them with a resolution of 640x400.

Square Enix probably decided to encode their FMV's in such a weird resolution to save space on the PS2 disk.

Tryout this in MPlayer:
    Code:
    mplayer 001.m2v -audiofile 001.wav -aspect 16:10
    This method of compression and stretching the video when played is called anamorphic encoding. It's commonly used on DVDs as a workaround on it's limitations.