Support Roxio Easy VHS to DVD Not Displaying Video

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

When my friend and I went to go record our Dragon Quest VIII LP yesterday, I could not get Roxio to work, and it's still not working today. I can get sound, but I get no video display.

It's important that I get it working because this is also impacting my current walkthrough.

2. Misty gimme kiss

1. Are you using splitters so you can play off your TV's display and record at the same time?
    2. What software are you using to record?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

1. No. I'm hooking my PS2's display and audio cables to the Roxio USB plugin that's in the computer.
    2. Roxio Easy VHS to DVD.

4. Misty gimme kiss

If you hook the PS2 directly into your TV, does it work?

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yes, it does.

It being the yellow display cable was one of my first thoughts, but since it works when I hook it up to my VCR, which is hooked to my TV, it can't be the yellow cable.

6. Misty gimme kiss

Then it's your device or your software. Do you have an S-video cable for your PS2? you could test it with that

Also go through your settings and make sure everything is correct. Particularly that it's set to use the composite input, not the s-video.

7. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Another thing to try is recording a bit of video blind and checking the resulting file.

If the file has video, then we know the software receives the video stream but isn't displaying live properly. In that case I would first reinstall the software and if the problem persists look for conflicts (I know Nvidia can be a bit overzealous with settings sometimes).

If the file does not have video then it is likely that the software is not receiving the video stream. And since we know that it is leaving the system OK that the would mean the USB device has an error somewhere. You could try to enter Windows' device manager to update/reinstall, but odds are good that it is a hardware error and you just need a new one.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Where do I check, I'm assuming, Roxio's connection settings?

The record button won't light up unless video is displaying, so I'm unable to do that.

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Sounds like you are in case 2 then unfortunately. Though it is admittedly hard to tell since it gets difficult to test that far in because of it being made as a single purpose system. Feel free to test any or all of the fixes I mentioned above, best case scenario the software just isn't recognizing the video stream as valid input and is discarding it.

I do find it interesting that the audio is working though. Most ways that this would mess up would break that too. Maybe the composite rca video cable attached to the USB device is bad? You could try moving that around to see if the display will at least flicker on.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'll try that.

Which driver would I reinstall?

Device Manager.png

Also, if it's of any help, this is the USB plugin that goes in the back of the computer:

Roxio.jpg

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm thinking it might be where the display and audio cables hook up to the USB plugin. Kinda stupid how they didn't make it all one thing.

I could be wrong, though.

Edit - 9:15 AM PT: And, you know, I've had this capture card since December 2010, so it's actually lasted a pretty good time. Everything goes out eventually, like my PS2s every two years or so.

I found Roxio on Amazon for $30; my mom's going to get it when she can.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so I'll be getting this one, where it's all connected with one cable, unlike the last one, seen in post #10, where the composite cables can be unhooked from the USB plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.