Support Several Processes Running with Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I switched to Google Chrome this morning for two reasons:
    • Just for a change
    • It was getting annoying to have to keep going to More Options to edit posts on here
    I plan on moving back to Mozilla Firefox when KH-Vids is upgraded to XenForo 1.2. However, one thing I noticed is that, unlike Mozilla Firefox where there's only one process, Google Chrome has several processes running (chrome.exe).

Does this have any impact on performance?

(Just for the hell of it, I'm including all the processes, just in case they have something to do with it.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit - 11:24 PM PT: I may just go back to Mozilla Firefox now -- not sure, though. The other problems just overtake the pros of Google Chrome.

Hopefully, this question can still be answered, though.

2. Graxe King's Apprentice

Going by Chrome's task manager, there's one process for the browser itself, one process for every open tab including the small mini-tab to open a new one, one process for every installed plugin and extension that's currently active, and one process used for what I believe is utilizing the GPU. Whether or not this affects performance, I don't know, but just throwing this out there in case it helps.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Welp, after using Google Chrome for a few days, my computer started locking up without anything intensive running, such as WMM saving a video, and it was especially bad just now.

I think Google Chrome is definitely the issue because it consumes a lot more memory than Mozilla Firefox, and the lockups started after I switched to Google Chrome. Just look and compare the two images below:

Google Chrome:
    Google Chrome Memory.png

Mozilla Firefox:
    Mozilla Firefox Memory.png

Notice how Mozilla Firefox only has one process for itself.