Should Swearing Be Allowed in School?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Shadow Keyblade Newbie, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Should Swearing be allowed in school

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. If you choose Yes I dont know what to say

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. If you choose No Your intelligent

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Keyblade Newbie Merlin's Housekeeper

This has been bugging the hell outta me for ages of course swearing is is apart of our language most like **** and ******* isnt realy swearing exept for using the N word around African American and blacks yet most modern people use it amongst themselves as a term which I find a little stupid sense it pisses a lot of people off to begin with.

Anyway A lot of us may or may not have been suspended from school from swearing even the slightest thing a lot of teachers dont give a rats ass about it yet other teachers and staff members swear yet we the student/ex student have been suspended for swearing.

I'm making a poll to see what you guys think on this issue I'm out of school believe me I'm just fed up with how many like my self have been suspended for something SO damn stupid in school.

I apologise for swearing too much in this post
    Also the poll is sarcasim to why I switched rolls to wear Yes should have been what no should be especialy for those who think Swearing should be allowed maybe I thought from a teaches point of view or something why I switched Yes should be Your Intelligent nt the other way around

2. Azure Flame Banned

I almost got in trouble for saying sex in 4th grade with the Pricipal in the room. I got her to believe that I actually said six, so I was off the hook. But I think it's stupid that, as a 4th grader, you couldn't even say the word sex, even though in some things they say sex instead of gender.

Anyways, swearing is okay, only if it is in moderation. If they allow swearing in schools, kids would swear all the time and it would just get annoying. They would just go overboard and swear so much that just about every other word they would say, would be a swear. So, I'm going to have to say no on this.

3. Repliku Chaser

I can see why in school it is not permitted. It is kind of important to know when and where crass language is acceptable versus where it is inappropriate. In a class room, learning a subject etc, it's not really the right place to be using those kinds of terms and such. When at work, doing a job, it's the same, or at some formal gathering etc.

I have nothing wrong with cussing as I do it often, but will avoid doing so in some areas because it just isn't the right place for it. In school, in hallways and such, I cussed in high school, but really it was usually because I was ticked off at something. I don't really see so much of a problem with it then, but in the class rooms, it shouldn't be permitted. In a way, if you use other words as it is, it does help expand the vocabulary so it's not a bad thing to not allow cussing in school. Too many people do expect that they should be able to talk however amongst various crowds and it can get them in some trouble so it's a lesson best learned early on in life, where the worst you get is a detention. Later on, it can cost you jobs, friends in high places and such so it just makes sense to get it in your head early on.

4. Explode Who?!

It certainly depends on how the words are used. I think that our society is way too sensitive about swears. Although they definitely should be used in moderation, otherwise you won't have much of a vocabulary, sometimes swears maximize the impact of your ideas in a way that other words can't. What I'm getting at is they can be used in good ways too, and by banning the use of curses in all contexts is the equivalent of outlawing kitchen knives because some people use them as weapons.

I don't really have this problem in my school; teachers generally don't say anything when they hear cursing, even if it is used as a part of an answer to their question XD It probably sounds odd to some of you, but I think it creates a more comfortable atmosphere, because you can be more "real" with each other.

That being said, when curses are used in a completely malicious way, there should be a consequence.

5. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

As Repliku said there isn't really a place for swear words in the classroom. All they would do is cause disruption so why allow them? But in the corridors I don't see why non-excessive swearing couldn't be allowed (I know people who swear nearly every other word and there is really no need).

What I can't stand is swear words being censored in songs, but that is a different debate entirely >_>

6. Finale Wannabe Nobody

The only thing it would do is hurt feelings. especially if it is directed at the teacher, people aren't payed to be insulted.

7. childofturin Why?

Even if it's not, the kids still do it, and getting in trouble for it only reinforces the kid's vision of school as a prison or dictatorship, making them less likely to at least try to enjoy it. OF course, swearing should be in moderation, but that's what they could teach in English classes. I personally only swear when another word just isn't powerful enough, or when another insult just won't work, and never at teachers or administrators, of course. Mostly, it is just to myself when I do or feel stupid. That is how it should be.

8. EvilMan_89 Code Master

no. students need to learn where and when swearing is acceptable and school isn't the place. i know it's probably going to happen anyway but i don't think it should be allowed.

9. childofturin Why?

Oh, by the way, your poll is incredibly biased. It basically criticizes us for having a view different than yours. I am not any less intelligent than you for voting "yes", and I'm probably more open-minded.

10. Johnny Bravo Chaser

honestly, i find no reason that swearing should be allowed at schools, there is seriously no point in swearing at school.

11. Bond of Flame I'm an alien

Like 'damn'? I think it's okay to say that. The F-word? Yes.

12. Dr. Mythril Roxas Merlin's Housekeeper

Its inapprpriate for school...go swear at home or with your friends on your own time. But I don't believe in seveare punishment for those caught swearing in school. U shouldn't be called to the office, or get a detention (unless you swear like daily in front of a teacher), but maybe a grade deduction by like 0.0005%?

13. childofturin Why?

It's inappropriate when directed at an authority figure. Let em swear (with moderation) with and at their friends, but not to teachers/staff.

14. EvilMan_89 Code Master

yea i noticed that as well. i hate when people do that.

15. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I didnt vote because it doesnt matter if its allowed or not. Although swearing tends to be vulgar and sometimes annoying, how could it be reinforced? Seriously, unless schools had 1984 style surveillance over students, teachers/school rules could not/cannot stop swearing. And I guess just a tip for next time, just put yes or no and let the users decide, regardless of your opinion. =/

16. Yukichin Traverse Town Homebody

I honestly see nothing wrong with it, as long as it's not used excessively; if it's an occasional swear word, it's fine, but if every other word is the f-word, then that's just obnoxious.

17. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

Yes or no, its going to continue anyway.

18. Shadow Keyblade Newbie Merlin's Housekeeper

I kinda messed up with the poll by accident and noticed ah crap oh well make a joke or have it in an authority point of view I had a feeling I get critisied for it, my bad people. Anyway I agree with a lot of you actualy you guys made sense to something so freakin stupid . I do think certain swearing should be allowed like ass damnit even hell and **** I mean Every living soul knows the word Hell so it isnt a swear word yet we get in trouble in school or saying it...accept in church-_-..

Believe it or not I actualy got in trouble for saying the word Freaking and got suspended for a weak for it right when I had a Doctor's appointment that morning too god women teachers.

Anyway I think we all can agree on is atleast mild swear words should be allowed and yes like another said before staff who swear in front of students dont get in trouble yet we do even in high school its utter bs if students cant swear staff cant simple as freakin that but no it dosnt work that way in society or life for that matter. I wanted to get this subject off my chest that is all

19. Jayn

I don't know why it matters.
    I can see why in maybe Elementary school.
    But in Middle and High, it should be allowed.

I really hate it if you're in the middle of something you feel very strongly about and you swear while you're discussing it, and the teachers and the students just get on your case about it.

I mean, you're passionate about something and maybe you swear to emphasize that. Why do people care? xD

20. Repliku Chaser

This is basically what I feel. If you use foul language around friends and it's just expressing yourself I don't see a problem with it really in high school grades and probably middle school, but in a class room, it just doesn't need to be heard by staff or students at all. It shouldn't also be used in a way that is harassing to other students really. There are exceptions such as this, where talking to friends, I think people could just turn a deaf ear but it's hard to control since some students will push boundaries regardless. It is pretty much how it works in college though that we can say whatever amongst ourselves but we give the teachers the respect of maintaining their class room environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.