Should Young People Get To Vote?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Amethyst Grave, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amethyst Grave Hollow Bastion Committee

People always forget about kids! I think we should get to vote!

What do you think?

2. Donaut Banned

I think we should on account of what happens to the country affects us as well, so I don't see the problem with letting us vote.

3. Tootsie coquí

I think there's nothing wrong for us,young people to vote.

4. Deathsight44 Kingdom Keeper

I wish I could say yes since I am indeed 14, and I would LOVE, to vote, but the fact is is that there are many people out there who are not like us. 2 factors could be played here. First thing, is that if you look at the kids of today, for instance the kids at my school, there are so many trouble makers, and other things like that. Also, with you being able to vote, your parents could try to convince you, sort of sway your mind to choosing a specific president, ya know what I mean. Yes, the rule stinks that we can't vote, but there are so many idiots out there who could mess up elections. Funny part about it all is that I just realized this a minute ago

5. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

No, Kids shouldn't vote. Because then the whole family will just vote for one person. Kids are not old enough to choose for themself.

6. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

It depends on how young you are talking about. Should kids younger than 15 get to vote? No I really don't think so (no offense to anyone).

I think that below a certain age children do not have the maturity and experience (for lack of a better word) to fully comprehend and be involved in voting.

I acknowledge that yes it does involve and affect all ages but I do not think young children should be allowed to vote.

Like I say no offense to anyone intended ^^ this is just my opinion! :)

7. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I think it's fine as it is right now.

Sure, there are some politically ept people out there who could probably vote and know what they're doing, but let's face it. Most young people who've just become 'of age' to vote, along with most of its younger population, care very little about politics and don't really know about a lot of the things that are going on.

Check your statistics and see where most of the votes come from age-wise. Not only does a large amount of a nation's vote-able community not vote, but most of these non-votees come from the younger groups.

8. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

No...

The reason I say this is because:

1. Our votes aren't nessecary.

2. The minds of toddlers, children, and teenagers are all capable of understanding the voting system, but are hardly capable of having a well educated and smart opinion of the world. There are a lot of dumb-*** people in America, who should not vote but do anyway, really, opening the poles to people younger then 18 is just a waist of time, and truthfully it will only make an improper and worse desicion for who our leader will be.

3. Most kids don't care at all whatsoever.

If it's legal for children to vote, there should at least be a non-biased test or something to give them the oppporunity. I know this may sound racist but the voting taxes and literacy tests and such used in the voting process, (Mostly used to stop Blacks from voting until the late 1960's), might need to be put back into affect, only concerning different age groups rather then races. The test would be given to anyone under the age of 18 and would test their knowledge of the government and the own views and wether or not the fully understand and comprehend what and why they're voting for. If they fail, they don't get to vote that election, if they pass, congrats they get a vote.

9. DanteOkami Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree it doesn't really seem fair that we can't vote.

Though little kids shouldn't vote only kids who understand should

10. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Tbh, I think that adults aren't fit to vote, and anyway since when has a vote counted for anything? Doesn't in the UK anyway. There are some young people who have much more of a clue whats going on than adults and many adults who wouldn't know what was good for them if it hit them over the head with a fish.

In conclusion I just don't see the point in changing it.

11. Darkandroid Gets it Together

No 18 is a good age.

Just 3 years ago I thought I knew about poltics but looking back now I knew barely anything. At 15/16 you don't have the maturity for such a big thing, poltical parties can easily manupliate the younger people into voting for them for the wrong reasons.

And besides teenagers have enough to worry about at that age to worry about poltics which most don't even care about.

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Hell no. You don't look at politics the right way until you've matured enough, for some that's 15, for some that's 18, for some that's 28... Personally, I started seeing politics the way I should at 17. For most people, that's not the case though.

13. saxoR_vs_aroS Hollow Bastion Committee

i wouldnt lower it. i must say, (no offense) that some younger people dont see the whole scheme of politics. thats why i oppose it.

14. MisuzuKamio Destiny Islands Resident

Right of passage?

I don't really see what the problem is. We can debate about this, saying that some people can comprehend politics and some can't, but figuring that out would be too much of a hassle.
    I know things aren't universal acros the board as for getting driving licenses (i got mine at 16 but i know some friends who got it at 15ish) and people usually drink way before 21 anyway, but it's almost like--it makes being certain ages special for some reason or another.
    16 is generally for driving, 18 is legall adultiness and voting, and 21 is drinking. I know people don't follow it, but it's kinda like...just makes the birthday better. Like--hooray! now i can vote! (yeah that sounds kinda dorky)
    I'm not an uber TRADITION kinda person at all, but I think that if we let younger kids vote it takes away some of the fun of becoming a legal adult. I like the way it is just because it's something to look forward to. And even if people aren't really that interested in politics, I think the wait to FINALLY BE ABLE TO VOTE is what helps people actually get up off the couch and do it the first couple of times.

15. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I'm sort of torn on this issue as I am with many of the topics in this debate corner.

Arguments For

I find it odd in the US {And using the US since that's where I live} that at 16 you can drive a car legally and legally have sex. Age of consent in most states is in the 16-17 range. We can potentially die in a car crash and have an STD /have a child before we even reach the age of 18. Now I'm not saying because of these things that we should have a say but those who abuse such things could ADD to the problems of teen pregnancy and drunk driving.

Now some kids are mature and have a decent understanding of the government and it's doing. We'd need some way to measure maturity.

Arguments Against

I agree with numerous people in this thread that kids are just plain dumb nowadays. Many also don't care about what is going on in the world. I'd be surprised if some adolescents could locate their home state on a map of the US. Let alone Iraq or Afghanistan. They don't know that Vladimir Putin is the Prime Minister of Russia or Tony Blair is Prime Minister of Great Britian but they can name Paris Hilton and all these other airhead celebrities.

Conclusion

I would say the arguments Against would outweigh the arguments For. I really think 18 is a good age to leave it at. Yes I think kids have a right to be heard but not necessarily voting.

16. Darkvincent Gummi Ship Junkie

I think kids should vote at the age of 14 cuz thats wen we get more mature and begin to think more wisely

17. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I disagree.

Pardon my generalization, but kids are far too emotional at 14. As well, thinking wisely isn't the same as understanding politics. Many 14 year olds couldn't care less about who's in office and how we can improve our country as a whole.

I sure didn't.

18. orgXIIIfan King's Apprentice

Everyone should speak their opinion! Even kids! That is, if they are mature.

But yes.Children should vote because we will vote in the later years so I think it should only be a mass exercise in schools,not the real thing.

It can also be NO! because political parties can bribe the kiddos to vote for them.

19. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

NO WAY. If kids could vote, think of the IDIOTS that would be in office! That's the whole reason that kids can't vote- because most of them don't have enough knowledge to vote for a capable politician.

20. Xigbar The Freeshooter

Yes and No.

Yes: Many of us will vote how we want and we will vote wisely.

No: There are other kids out there who get persuaded easily into voting for the wrong people. Some examples are in school. It almost always seems that the "popular" kids ge voted for everything, which isn't fair. Well, what if the "popular" president got voted for would you like that ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.