Smartphones vs. Mobile Phones

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Splodge, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

My smartphone recently broke, and I had to get a new phone, but since I was on a tight budget I decided to get a cheap Nokia 215. I was a little skeptical at first, since I've gotten so used to using smartphones, but I have to say, I'm liking my mobile phone (of whatever you want to call them) a lot better than my smartphone.

For starters, it actually has a battery life. I haven't had to charge the Nokia even once in the week and a bit I've had it. That simply doesn't happen with smartphones; there's even charging stations you can pay for to give your phone more life in it, which seems all kinds of wrong to me. Its really nice to not have to worry about your battery all the time. The phone also has actually good build quality. I could throw this thing against a concrete floor multiple times and it would still work, which I can't say for a smartphone. I don't know why the "dropping a nokia" joke even exists, "look, this phone doesn't break easily!" doesn't seem like much of a joke to me.This next point is purely personal, but I also much prefer getting kinect feedback from pushing actual buttons instead of a touchscreen. I hadn't noticed it before, but within a few minutes of using actual buttons on my phone I realised how much more pleasing it is to text with.

So what do you guys think? Smartphones are pretty handy with all of their apps, granted, but for me at least they lose to older mobile phones on usability.

2. Patman Bof

My phone is an old Nokia as well. A prehistoric one, it doesn' t even know what a smiley is. It' s the first and only cellphone and I' ve ever had. I' ve dropped it numerous times but it never broke. And if it ain' t broke ...

The only drawback I can think of is that it can' t read some messages sent from modern smartphones, but I always receive a copy of those in my e-mail box so ... whatever.