Kingdom Hearts II So, I used to think he said "Pie"...?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Light-Rune Maven, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Light-Rune Maven Seer

I mean right when Setzer begins the Fight in KH2 it sounded like "My life is a chip in your pie!"... That confused me. Having no knowledge of Final Fantasy VI, and not being very well versed in the ways of the internet, i just let it Slide. Even though i was pretty sure that wasn't what he said. For years I would laugh when I suddenly thought "My Life is a chip in your pie!" lol. I know i'm an idiot. I just assumed he meant he was out of place or something like that. Later when i learned about the usefulness of the internet, i watched some of a walk-through of FF6. Thus finally acknowledging that what he had said was "Pile". But I also learned that he says this when he joins the party. Don't get me wrong, I learned all this years ago. It just suddenly struck me, Shouldn't there be a different line to start the battle? One that doesn't propose Loyalty to the character? So I ask you FF6 experts, if there is a Setzer line you think should have opened the fight.

2. Misty gimme kiss

_MOVED
    to the Kingdom Hearts II section.

I think it was likely just a reference without considering the context. I haven't played FFVI so I can't vouch for better quotes.

3. Light-Rune Maven Seer

Thank you. I'm sorry i'm horrible at judging where these should go.

4. Light-Rune Maven Seer

...anyone?.....at all.... no contributors?

5. A Zebra Chaser

There's... not really a whole lot to say on the subject.
    Uh
    I played FFVI first, but didn't notice the reference until I replayed both games years later

6. Light-Rune Maven Seer

Ok Then. Anyone want Pie?
    (If no one has anything to say, this can just be locked or closed or something.)

7. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I've always considered the line somewhat forced, but I didn't know it was a reference. I thought the following line "Time to ante up" was a kind of threat. That a "life" was the bet and he's devoted himself to the tournament to earn the title and anyone taking it from him would need to give their lives. Though when you break it down like that he sounds rather like a serial killer...

8. A Zebra Chaser

The reference really does make no sense. In FFVI he says it when he joins your party. Which makes sense.
    Fighting a kid in a tournament, after attempting to bribe him into losing... not so much

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It sort of works if you change what pile he's talking about. As the pot it is forced but not entirely out there; as the player's stack, not so much.

10. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Setzer likely means he's here to stop Roxas from becoming struggle champion by being a chip in his pile. That's what I gathere

11. Light-Rune Maven Seer

I'm seeing some interesting theories and analysis. ( Why am i getting messages as soon as i said it could be closed? not that i am complaining.)