The 13th Reflection [Re-orchestrated]

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Miles, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Replaced all the instruments with real sounding ones and using the high quality drum loop from StylusRMX.
    (Where it originally came from and what Yoko used)
    Maybe 2.5 could sound like this or better!
    Enjoy!​

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Ooh, I like it. Very faithful recreation. Piano seemed a lil quiet but besides that the levels were all good.

3. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

That's what I thought but now that I listened to it with earphones it sounded fine but a little soft. I need to make the timpani louder too I just noticed.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I can't provide any kind of musical critique but, for what it's worth, this sounds brilliant to me. I'm excited to see what Yoko Shimomura comes out with for 2.5 but I also love hearing fan versions.

5. A Zebra Chaser

Main melody stuff, the piano and strings are too quiet. KH2 used these magical strings that were half way to being an accordion, which gave them a punch that a lot of orchestral synths don't have
    The rest is pretty incredibly well recreated, unfortunately the sounds that would be easiest to identify for enhanced quality, the strings and piano, are muffled. Stuff like a harp are easily simulated, so the difference there isn't very noticeable, and the drum loop simply has more definition
    It's something I learnt from remastering music as a hobby, when you make something more realistic, play to the strengths of what sounds the most noticeably higher quality, or nobody will notice the difference

6. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

That's what happens when you use real instruments and not synths. They sound natural. Piano for example in real life would actually get soft when you play it quietly and as for the PS2 it would just make it low volume instead of getting realistically soft. (I have set the mic to the players POV) Things are going to have expressions, articulation and softness that the original didn't have. PS2 the instruments are instantly loud and the attack is immediate. You are forcing yourself to hear it the exact same way. The strings are actually the loudest right beside the french horns. You know I starting to make things loud immediately and unrealistically then I though "wait. Why? This is naturally how instruments sound." so I didn't get rid of the softness in the piano and other things.

7. A Zebra Chaser

They sound more natural, softer, and as an extension they blend easier, and that needs to be compensated for. Instruments don't HAVE to be soft and blenty, they can have plenty of attack, that's just a bit harder to do with synths

8. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Yes I know. It's not really possible for a live piano NOT to get soft when it plays quiet. I also do prefer the original "hard" sound but I'm not doing that for this. For all we know the KH2 version wasn't even suppose to sound like that and only did because of PS2 limitations. I mean a lot of the tracks for 1.5 were soft and a little soft for my taste but it's because of the live instruments. Also which piano part were you referring too? There are 2 pianos.

9. A Zebra Chaser

OOOH, that actually explains a lot. I'm talking about the high sharp pianos, not he piano bass. Those, as far as I'm concerned could have more attack. The bass piano is perfect, honestly.
    On the PS2 limitations thing... I hope not. A properly talented musician would work to make something sound the best it can with the resources given, not make something in a quality nobody can hear and downgrade it for the version people actually get to hear. A lot of the songs in KH1 did come out soft, and I think that was something being lost in translation, not their true form being revealed

10. The Fuk? Dead

Sounds good. The only thing I'll say for now is to improve the stereo separation. "Give each instrument some room to breath" is what I say.

11. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Even so it's more than likey what it would sound like.
    Oh yes! Do you really think musicians wanted there music to be heard in 8 bit beeps and boops. and KH1.5 sounded like that because that's how it would sound in reality. Something Yoko couldn't do to the limitations.

That I definitely did. I panned the trombones to the right a bit and strings to the left slightly just like the original. I cant remember what else I did. It's probably the reverb. I set it as a large room. I wanted to mix it like a studio recording and stage recording.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. The Fuk? Dead

What reverb plugin are you using?

13. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Kompact/kontakts reverb

14. A Zebra Chaser

er... yes? It's called techno. When you don't create music based on your limitations it sounds awkward, like a midi of an orchestral piece. Instead you work with the punchy sounds and make it worth that way. KH1.5 sounds closer to reality, sure, but they didn't take proper care in preserving all the tracks. It works fantastically for the soft songs, like Neverland, but the punch shouldn't have been removed from the more action oriented pieces. They definitely weren't quite matches for Yoko's style, to be sure.

I have my doubts

15. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

No I'm talking about NES 8-bit like things. That's not techno... Also you are comparing a live played orchestration track to a studio recording. Those both sound different. That's doesn't sound punchy. It's sound loud and reverb-y. That's how it would sound on stage. I'm comparing to studio recording. That's more than likely how it would sound. 1.5 was studio recorded. In a studio. 1.5 was pretty much dead on with the track. 2.5 I'm not gonna be happy if it sounds like that you posted above. (not that it's bad) Also Yoko was the supervisor of 1.5 music. That's how it's always supposed to sound. Yoko has ZERO involvement with 2.5 music.

EDIT
    I take that back. I emailed video game orchestra and the said they "worked" with yoko very closely on this. They said "worked". I wonder if that means they are done with their part.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  16. A Zebra Chaser

we've got the real deal now

thought it might be interesting to have a comparison

17. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

I personally don't like it. I don't think mines any better either.

18. Dredica SNES was the best.

I don't like the 2.5 version nearly as much. It doesn't have that impact its predecessor did.

19. A Zebra Chaser

interesting
    I think they improved on the original significantly

20. Fellangel Bichael May

I actually rather like the new songs. It's a cleaner and much crisp sound. The drum beats are a nice addition. Hopefully, more songs will also be re-orchestrated. Though I hope they leave Sanctuary alone. That song is good as it is unless they can puff up the quality of that song