Audio The KH-V Collab

Discussion in 'Production Studio' started by Advent, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

The idea of this thread is to bring the musicians of the site together to collaborate casually (or hardcore, whatever you wanna do) on a song. It'll work like the graphics worm: someone will start by posting an audio sample of something they wrote (ideally 30 seconds or longer so that there's something substantial to work with), then the next person will download the sample and lay down another layer of sound over it. Then that person uploads that new audio, and the cycle continues with people adding layers and layers onto the audio until it sounds complete.

General Guidelines
    • The easiest way to get a full-fledged song going would probably be to start with a short clip, get a few people contributing to it, then expand on it if you think that the initial short collab sounds good. But that's just one man's opinion.
    • If you're uploading the first audio sample of a collab, post the key, time signature, and tempo along with a link to the sample (clyp.it is pretty solid for this). You should also give it a unique name in order to distinguish it from any other collabs in the thread.
    • I'd highly recommend putting in headphones and listening to a metronome at the appropriate BPM while recording; even if your rhyhm and timing are naturally great, it couldn't hurt. Search "metronome" on Google to use one right in your browser.
    • As long as the recording isn't full of static, it should be fine; that being said, please try to make your recordings as high-quality as possible.
    • Save the individual tracks you record for the collab; if adjustments need to be made to your track of the collab (volume, timing, etc.) they can be made easily without necessarily having to rerecord.
    • Constructive critique is encouraged, just don't be a butthole about it.
    • If you wanna be super helpful, include in your first post a list of the instruments (including vocals, obvi) and audio software you're proficient with and capable of recording. I'll keep a master list of this going in the OP.
    • If there's a collab actively being worked on that you're not interested in participating in, you can go ahead and start your own.
    Recording Your Samples/Adding Onto Collabs
    • There are a number of ways to record and add onto audio tracks, but the best free option (in my opinion) is Audacity. You can download this software (again, for free) here.
    • In order to export recorded tracks as MP3s, you need to download the file lame_enc.dll. You can download it here. Put it in a location where you'll remember it, because Audacity will ask you to locate it the first time you try to export an MP3.
    • If you aren't familiar with Audacity, here's a pretty solid beginner tutorial.
    • If you don't feel like watching all of that, here are the basic steps to contributing to collabs:
      (Skip to step 2 if you're starting a new collab.)
      1. Open the latest iteration of the collab you're working on in Audacity and mute the track.
      2. Find the picture of a microphone underneath the play/pause/stop/record buttons. Click on the dropdown menu to the right of it and make sure that the recording device is set to whatever microphone you're trying to use.
      3. Hit the record button and start jamming.
      (Skip to step 7 if you're starting a new collab.)
      4. With the in-progress collab track still muted, export the MP3 of your recorded track (File -> Export Audio...).
      5. Unmute the in-progress collab track so that you can hear it along with your newly recorded audio. Allign your track with the in-progress collab track so that the measures line up properly. You can do this by selecting and deleting silence from the beginnings of the tracks, or by adding silence to the beginnings of the tracks (Generate -> Silence).
      6. Adjust the volume of your track so that it's appropriately loud relative to the rest of the collab (Effect -> Amplify). After this step, your new track should sound blended in with the rest of the collab.
      7. Export the audio as an MP3 (File -> Export Audio... -- make sure all tracks are unmuted).
      8. Upload the MP3 to a file-sharing website (like I said earlier, I'm fond of clyp.it) and post it in this thread as a response to the last person who contributed to the collab.

On that note (hah, I'm goddamn hilarious), let's jam.

Participant Master List
    • Advent - Acoustic guitar, electric guitar
    • jafar - Acoustic guitar
    • Laplace - Electric guitar, bass, vocals
    • . : tale : . - Vocals, viola
    • Marushi - Vocals

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Collab I (if anyone has some clever name ideas, go ahead and post 'em)
    Key: A# minor
    Time signature: 4/4
    Tempo: 120 BPM
    Sample: https://clyp.it/zj4vrb3e

I'm contributing rhythm guitar played on an acoustic. My recording setup is kinda lackluster. Really it's just my laptop's microphone. So if you guys think that this recording is too low-quality or for whatever other reason you think I should rerecord it, just let me know.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. jafar custom title

Can you post the chord progression as well? plus i dig the lo-fi vibe

4. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Yeah man, no doubt.
    So the sample goes: First bit - Second bit - First bit - Second bit (slightly modified)
    First bit: C#M, C#M 7th, A# Suspended 4th Sharp 5th, A# Augmented, F Suspended 4th Sharp 5th, C Suspended 4th Sharp 5th
    Second bit: C#M, C#M 7th, G# Major, F# barre, A# Suspended 4th Sharp 5th, A# Augmented, F Suspended 4th Sharp 5th, C Suspended 4th Sharp 5th, C#M

Sorry that so many of them are mad weird. I kinda just put a capo on the first fret and put some chords together that sounded nice. Didn't realize they'd be such weirdos when I put them into chord-naming software.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  5. jafar custom title

naw man, it's good. i'm just not well-versed in that ****, even though i've been playing for 10 years. it's just a casual thing for me. that said, this will make it easier for me to come up with the next part (unless someone beats me to it). i only have an acoustic guitar, so i can't do much much more than that. i'll try to put up something tomorrow, cheers.

6. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

I'm very much a casual player as well, no worries. I'm confident you'll put something nifty together; I'm really excited to hear what you've got in mind.

7. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

Laps can (SOMEWHAT) play the electric guitar and the bass ontop of singing. O:

Depends how creative I get and if I hit a skill wall, I won't use samples period. But if not, I could atleast offer my services on mixing the whole thing. owo

Incase anyone asks:

Guitar: Fernandez Revolver X, Standard Tuning.

Bass: Epiphone Tobias Deluxe IV, again standard tuning.

Mic: Audio Technica AT2020.

Recording setup: A Focusrite 2i2 Audio Interface and a rather basic tube preamp lol.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Don't have anything to add to the sample yet, but figured I'd throw my hat in the ring. I can do vocals, and maybe some viola (I'm super rusty though lol), and I've got a Blue Yeti microphone for recording.

9. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Once it gets a bit more rounded (and someone else sings first) My specialty is in backup and harmony vocals, so I can contribute with something there. :)

Unfortunately, I don't play any instruments, even though I'd had easy access to a piano for around 15 years, a violin for three, drums for 2, and harmonicas for 2. XD I love them all and intend to learn to play them, but I haven't. XD

And all I have for a mic is my laptop.