The Protomen: A Rock Opera Tribute to Mega Man

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ars Nova, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

It occurred to me that there was no thread for this.

And thus that some of you.

MAY NOT HAVE HEARD THIS BAND BEFORE.

That some of you.

MAY NOT BE BEHOLDEN TO THE GLORY.

THE MAJESTY.

THE GRACE.

THE ROCK.

LET US FIX THAT, SHALL WE?

[​IMG]

Official site
    Wikipedia article
    Merch1 (Zambooie)
    Merch2 (Sound Machine Records)

So? Thoughts? Anybody into the band before this thread? Anyone now getting into it because of this thread?

2. Krowley Moderator

"Breaking out" caught my eye first, and after that, I just went back and listened to all of the second album. Will need to listen to the first when I get the chance. Wouldn't say I'm into them, but I probably haven't heard most of their great music,. So for now, I'll just say that I like what I hear thus far.

Listening to their Bohemian Rhapsody cover on their fansite now, and I think it's pretty well done. A lot of people like to cover Queen and it's usually not done well, but this rendition is really great.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Imo the first album is a lot more scattered in sound, but has more heart. The second sounds a tad too uniform by comparison, though it has its stand-out tracks regardless. I love both, but I'm still partial to the first. If you do listen to it though, you should definitely also check out the remix album by Makeup and Vanity Set. It's on the Protomen's main site and I think a couple of the tracks are on Youtube. All chiptunes... <3333 "Vengeance?" is a particularly good mix.

4. Stardust Chaser

ooo so excited to see this thread

I like The Protomen a lot but their music is pretty intense imo, and a lot of their songs have to grow on me as a result. For example's sake, The Sons of Fate is a great track, but gat dang is it long, and those speaking and crowd-chant parts are so heavy that I don't find it easy to just listen to in the background or something, you know? I've gotta be in the right mindset to take all that in and give it my undivided attention. Or something. Haha. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.

Off the top of my head, Light Up The Night, Unrest in the House of Light and The Hounds are all particular favorites of mine. I feel bad, but I've never actually sat down and listened to the entirety of the opera so far in order.

That Act III song (Hold Back the Night) they've been promoting is pretty rad too. Can't wait. And their covers tend to be great as well; the Queen album of course and I'm also partial to this track.