[TUTORIAL] Setting up a Servers [Minecraft & More to come]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Noroz, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

So I figured I should set up a tutorial for how to set up servers for different games.

You will need Hamachi for these tutorials, and if you have any questions regarding how to set up or edit, simply ask in this thread.

I will start off with Minecraft, because I have already written it, and my next tutorial will be Terraria. I plan on showing how to set up a dedicated Counter-Strike 1.6 server as well, with AMX built in. If anyone wants to contribute, you are more than welcome to.

If you want me to set up a tutorial for another game, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do

Minecraft
    Ill edit this post with an explanation. I'm just posting so that someone else won't have to start writing and realize there is already a post. I'll have it explained within 15 minutes.

Okay, let's see.

First of all, download Hamachi. Choose Unmanaged, as you won't need managed.

Both computers must have it installed, as you might already know.

Anyhow, after installation, launch and give yourself a name (Just hit the "power button" in Hamachi). It'll take a while, but just give it time. There should be a pop-up saying there has been a new network discovered. Give it the "home" settings (You can choose from Home, Work or Public network)

Now, create a new network.
    This is what you should see.

[​IMG]

Now, your friend will connect using the "server" name, and password (Both are case-sensitive)
    [​IMG]

Now. Download Minecraft_Server.exe or Minecraft_Server.jar (Depending on which one you are able to run. You could potentially use bukkit, but I'm going to go with the vanilla, standard minecraft server)

Create a folder where you put the file.

Run the application once, and allow it through the firewall (should be an automatic popup).

Quit the Minecraft_server.exe/.jar

Now, there should be several files in the folder where the server executable is located.

What you want to do now, is to open the the file named "server.properties". Open it with Notepad, and you should see this:

Now, This, is where you will view your IP in Hamachi. (Or your friends' IP, depending on who will host it)

Focus on these parts:

The two most important ones are;

and
    First, find your Hamachi ip, and put that as the server-ip.
    In my case, it's

I believe

has to be changed to

I'm not certain you have to, but you might as well.

If you want to play creative mode, change

to

And you can change the difficulty to what you like. (If memory serves me right, 0 is peaceful, 1 is easy, 2 is normal, and 3 is hard)

Save the file, which should look as such;

With your Hamachi IP, not mine.

Now, run the server executable file, and you are good to go!

Connect using the port 25565, so it should look like this;

[​IMG]

Also, you want to OP (make admin) yourself and your friend, which you do by simply entering;

op "username"

In the server console.

In my case it is like this;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jⱥy King's Apprentice

Will the created server be public or private?

3. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Considering you set the server up using Hamachi, only the ones connected to your Hamachi "server" will be able to connect.
    You could potentially set up a server using your IP, but I decided not to get into that this time. I might on a later occasion.