Unpopular music opinions

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chad Thundercucc, May 24, 2014.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Do you hold an unpopular/controversial music opinion? Do you think a certain band/musician that gets a lot of flak is actually pretty good? Do you think a certain genre is just completely terrible? Post whatever unpopular opinions you have here.

I think New Order is a lot better than Joy Division.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'm not a fan of Beyonce. Have you seen that SNL skit with Andrew Garfield; that's basically how people react to me whenever I say that. To me, she has a nice voice, but it all just feels generic.

I also don't like a lot of stuff that plays on the "pop hits" radio stations. Talk Dirty. Stuff by One Direction. Anything by Justin Bieber or those who came after him to be like him. All of it is basically the same thing. Yeah, the music playing in the background may be catchy, but I need something more than that for me to get interested in a song. Probably the only song that I genuinely like that's been on the radio for the past year is "Get Lucky", which is generally a good song. It has a good beat, the lyrics aren't just filler, and there's some soul (pun not intended) put into the song.

I'll use Wrecking Ball as an example of what I mean by soul. I like Wrecking Ball; I like the lyrics and everything about it...except Miley Cyrus. Now, she has good pitch, but she doesn't not have any emotional depth. Wrecking Ball is this deep and serious song about the pitfalls of loving someone who is closed off, but Cyrus just sings it so dead pan that it loses all meaning when she sings it.

Another is that I like Linkin Park. Like, I legitimately like that band. I know that they sound like generic "white boy rock" but there are some songs that really hit me in a good place. I'm looking forward to their next release.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I'm pretty sure I have reached controversy zen when I say that my favorite System of a Down is not their first, nor their last—It is Steal This Album!, riiiight in the middle. /brick'd

In all seriousness though, I usually scoff at people who say they hate a band when their style changes. Disturbed, Green Day, and Slipknot all come to mind. A change should be examined more finely than that, if you ask me.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Well let's see

• I love Avenged Sevenfold and every "real metal fan" thinks they are gay and don't deserve the hype / popularity that they have acquired.
    • One of my favorite clean vocalists is Jonny Craig who was at one point in time a ridiculous heroine addict, criminal, and all around D-bag. However his vocals have always been kickass

Jonny Craig sings that ^
    • Oh and an overall musical opinion I have that always pisses people off: it's harder to learn screams than it is to learn to sing clean "regular" vocals.
    etc, the list could go on

5. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Also, Charles Manson was actually a pretty awesome musician.

6. 61 No. B

I mean I guess here on khv my unpopular musical opinions are that I like bands such as

• Panic! at the Disco
    • My Chemical Romance
    • Fall Out Boy
    • The All-American Rejects.
    but that's not all I like so whatev

I went to a local show a couple months ago to see the band that was opening for him but left before he came on because I refused to give him my time and attention due to him being such an
    I have a friend who will literally stop listening to a band, no matter how much he likes them, if they change at all. We used to get into heated "debates" about this but I'm just like "whatever it's your bad opinion" now. What's really weird is that he is a musician and and produces local bands so you would think he would be more open to variety. I understand not liking the change itself and wanting something more in the vein of what they used to be like, that's reasonable I guess, but hating change by virtue of it being change is totally unreasonable.

7. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

I hear a lot of dislike for Demi Lovato. I think her voice is very powerful especially for someone so young. And I'm one of those who preferred her version of "Let It Go" over the original (that being said, I have some issues with Idina Mendzel anyway lol). And knowing her situation in real life, the song is truly befitting and makes it personally special.

But some of my favorites include "Skyscraper" and "Heart Attack." I don't really own her albums, but have heard some of the tracks and would like to indulge in them someday. c:

8. Hayabusa Venomous

Not sure at all how unpopular it is to say this, but I find country artists to be some of the most untalented/unoriginal musicians around these days; they all sound the same to me, with the southern drawl vocals that only sound different in how high or low their voices are, songs that generally have the same few themes (love, break-up, partying [usually with beer], or patriotic,) and the same typical instrument configuration (electric & acoustic guitars, drums, and some kind of twangy instrument like a banjo or fiddle or something along those lines.) I respect country music for having helped create rock music, but that's as far as my positive feelings for the genre go.

(Also, nitpicking, but I think the fact that the genre is even called "country" is dumb. Music native to, say, India or Germany isn't called "country" as far as I know.)

Hell yes it is. When I used to do karaoke at the nearby Applebee's (wow that sounds so lame now) I was pretty much the go-to guy in my friend group for songs that involved screaming; nobody else did it well, while for me I pretty much figured it out after lots of practicing (mostly just singing along to , which came to me a lot more slowly than clean singing (which I learned to do in a concert choir class.) The only people who think screaming is easy to do are the ones who can't even differentiate what sounds good or bad when it comes to screaming (probably due to general dislike for that vocal style.)

9. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Glad to see someone agrees with me on this, its also crazy risky because if you do it incorrectly long enough, your voice can get destroyed.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I prefer Linkin Park and Rise Against's current music to their earlier works.
    That and I love Ke$ha. I just adore listening to her songs and jamming along and singing along. If you ever see me driving and I'm singing with my windows rolled up, I'm probably trying to hide the fact that I'm singing Ke$ha.

11. Hayabusa Venomous

Just my $0.02:

while I generally don't care for a majority Linkin Park's albums post-Meteora, they still manage to make a couple fantastic songs on each album that I end up loving, for example: "What I've Done", "Leave Out All the Rest", "Hands Held High", and "The Little Things Give You Away" from Minutes to Midnight, "Burning in the Skies", "Jornada del Muerto", "Wretches and Kings", and "The Catalyst" on A Thousand Suns, and "Lost in the Echo" and "Castle of Glass" on Living Things. Haven't heard much from the newest one.

Sadly, just about every other song on those albums, I really just can't find enjoyment in. Linkin Park's pretty hit-or-miss to me now, over all. Just thought I'd share that.

And I dunno why anyone wouldn't like Rise Against's current music: they've sounded pretty much the same since The Sufferer and The Witness to me. (Siren-Song of the Counter Culture is still my over all favorite album)

EDIT: meant "Jornada del Muerto," not "Robot Boy"

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  12. 61 No. B

alright while we're talking about LP

I think A Thousand Suns is gold and Living Things is mediocre. I say this because the general consensus among people who still like LP seems to be the opposite. The only songs on Living Things that I genuinely like are Lost in the Echo, Lies Greed Misery, Tinfoil (which almost doesn't count), and Victimized is okay I guess. Whereas the only song I don't like on Suns is Robot Boy. Seriously why is this song so liked. It's bland and boring.
    A Thousand Suns is very artistic and experimental and more of an experience from start to finish than a collection of songs, so it's no surprise that coming from Minutes to Midnight (which I associate with old LP in my head and like nearly every song on the album), and Meteora before that, that there would be people who did not take to it. And I get it, it's not what people had come to expect. I didn't like it at first either. But giving it a good listen and stopping to appreciate all of the nuances present, I'm hard-pressed to not call it my favorite LP album. but then there's meteora

And about Rise Against

The only album of theirs that I seem to be able to fully get into is Sufferer, and I love Sufferer. Appeal is okay, but nothing else seems to do it for me. Couldn't get into Endgame, which I somewhat expected to, and couldn't get into Siren Song either, which I have listened through multiple times to try and find something to latch onto. At one point I listened through their entire discography and still the only stuff I found myself caring about was Sufferer and a handful from Appeal. maybe it's the nostalgia that I actually like? I bought sufferer in like 2006 or whenever around the time it came out so idk. And my favorite song of there's is The Good Left Undone, which was the sole reason I bought the album.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  13. Hayabusa Venomous

Some more of my opinions now:

I almost consider Minutes to Midnight to be in its own middle-age as far as the albums sound. Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora are the band's best albums to me because they all felt like the band's most confident, consistent, focused, and personal efforts. No song on any of those three albums is bad to or even just average to me. Minutes to Midnight was a clear departure, with obvious focus shifting to less personal, more...global(?) lyrical themes, and a very inconsistent and generally pretty generic rock band sound (seriously, half of that album's songs sounded like any other rock band could have written/played them. "Shadow of the Day" is boring and uncreative. "Given Up" is any hard rock band with a screaming vocalist. "Valentine's Day"...ugh.) The release of "New Divide" (or "What I've Done" 2.0) is when Linkin Park seemed to switch to their new sound (in my mind,) ranging from fantastic ("Lost in the Echo" and "The Catalyst" and "Castle of Glass") to, unfortunately, annoying ("The Messenger" and "Victimized") or boring ("Burn It Down" or "Until It Breaks".)

14. 61 No. B

Oh it totally is. I'm just saying when I think of LP in my head, there's LP before Suns, and there's LP after Suns.
    I mean, yeah, those are fair complaints that I can't really argue against (mainly because it's entirely opinionated har), but they're still nice songs that I enjoy (regarding Minutes to Midnight). My biggest complaint about Minutes to Midnight is that it's waaay too political (and this is a criticism of newer LP in general, though they seem to be getting away from it). I really don't care for blatant political commentary in my music, so songs like Hands Held High are not for me at all. My favorite song from Minutes is Little Things, if anyone wants to know. Kinda like Shadow of the Day but... better.

You don't like Victimized? I don't love it, but I find that interesting because it seems to be the song many dissatisfied LP fans hold up as "old LP" from their newer stuff. Which I don't personally agree with, but still.

15. Willis Haughey Merlin's Housekeeper

I think Christina Grimmie is awesome.
    I respect Justin Beiber as an artist, but hate his actual music. I respect him for making it from YouTube videos.

I agree with you guys for sure about the screaming thing! And not that Asking Alexandria has a great vocalist or anything (Danny Worsnop), but he is definitely a great example of injuring your voice if you don't scream properly. He even posted a video on youtube showing a trip to his doctor.

And I think Asking Alexandria is a great band. ;P

16. Antidote Façade

I love music with lots of screaming and people usually get on my ass about it but I'm just like waheva.

17. Arch Mana Knight

I prefer music without any vocalists. I'm a huge progressive metal/post rock fan and most of the time you can't convey the same musical messages when you have a vocalist around. A guitar virtuoso can really shine when there's no singer to drown out their complex melodies and rhythmic progressions. That's not to say I don't like bands with singers. I love all sorts of rock and metal but in my opinion...ditching the singer just makes everything sound so much better.

Animals As Leaders master race.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

THAT IS NOT AN UNPOPULAR OPINION I WILL PUNCH ANYONE WHO TRASH TALKS MY BB CHRISTINA

Actual unpopular opinion: High School Musical is kinda fun, even if it is cheesy and cliché. And some of the songs are actually good—as in, if they weren't in HSM, I feel like people would like them.

19. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Most music from every genre is horrible. There are gems in every genre, but they are the ones that stand out. All genres are horribly generic.

The best music is the kind that cannot be classified and questions your concept of what music is.

20. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I quite like Ke$ha and find her music quite catchy even if the lyrics aren't great and she's just singing about the same old things. I also love dubstep, I don't really know if this is unpopular opinion or not but I just love the beat and even if it is noise I can really attach myself to it and it's great to work to because it just revitalises me.

I used to hate chart music just because it was generic and annoying but I've started listening to the radio whilst at work and just love some of the mainstream songs that come on. Currently, I love Macklemore "Can't hold us" and OneRepublic "Counting stars" with some others.

Now, I absolutely adore 70s and 80s music because it just makes me happy but (I know they are more 60s but I am still including them) I don't like the Beatles, I have never found a song of theirs that I particularly like and some even just annoy me. Same with Pink Floyd, I do like them and my whole family does so I have grown up on them but anything not from "The Wall" just doesn't really grab my attention like other old music does. I find a lot of it just overly depressing or a little insane, the songs that were obviously written whilst high especially, they just don't compute with me because that's what they sound like to me, drugged up songs. I loved The Wall because I grew up watching the film of it and the music was just ingrained in me and for whatever reason I just loved it... everything else by Pink Floyd just doesn't feel the same for me.