Voiceless Ally Actions in Battle

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Amaury, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

@DigitalAtlas, post a message on my profile and let me know if the URLs below worked properly in regard to skipping to precise points in the videos.

Kingdom Hearts was famous for it. When allies attacked, used magic, or supported themselves (healing, item, etc.), 90% of the time they didn't use a battle cry (e.g., "Okay!" or "Yeah!" - Donald supporting himself). Skills were a bit different for some reason and there was always a battle cry used (e.g., "Come on!" - Goofy). The only battles cries that were always used were receiving damage, falling to or below half health, or getting knocked out. (That second one was changed in Kingdom Hearts II, in which they only say their "falling into low health" battle cry when they fall into the flashing red -- which can also be referred to as 25% health -- which I personally think makes more sense.)

Anyway, if you watch the Hades battle here, you'll see many silent action moments (e.g., Donald not always saying "Take that!" when casting Blizzard). There were also some moments where Donald didn't say "Sora!" or "Goofy!" when healing them and some moments where both Donald and Goofy didn't say "Thank you!" / "Thanks, pal!" when being supported. Those seemed more to do with the fact that some battle cries can be interrupted, while some can't, though I'm not sure why. For example, "thank you" battle cries can interrupt "supporting themselves" battle cries, but "thank you" battle cries cannot interrupt "falling into low health" battle cries (e.g., Donald, supporting himself: "Ye" -- Goofy: "Donald!" *MP Gift* Donald: "Thank you!" However, Donald: "Heeeeeelp!" Goofy: "Donald!" *Potion* Donald: *still in the middle of saying "Heeeeeelp!" so he's not saying "Thank you!" because it doesn't interrupt*

Whether all this was an oversight or a bug or not, I am not sure.

In Kingdom Hearts II, it was changed so the allies always say their battle cries when attacking, supporting themselves, etc. However, there are still those "this battle cry cannot interrupt that battle cry" moments, which I'm thinking might be another oversight or a bug.

Watch and listen to Donald here. He gets knocked back and falls into low health simultaneously. Because he got knocked back, he wasn't able to heal himself until he got on his feet again and when he did, he said, "Okay!" However, in that same video, he falls into low health again here, but only gets hit by the shock wave, which doesn't knock him back, so he doesn't say anything when he heals himself because even though he was done saying "Heeeeeelp!" it's, like, the audio clip still wasn't finished, and because "supporting themselves" battle cries can't interrupt "falling into low health" battle cries, well...

If you listen to Goofy here, there's an example of a battle cry interrupting another battle cry. In this case, Goofy was falling into low health, but then got taken out, and the second one took more importance, I guess. However, if you listen to Goofy in that same video here, he did not say "Thanks, pal!" after Donald healed him for the reasons stated in the paragraph above when Donald fell into low health the second time.

So my theories are basically what I stated in my paragraphs above. What do you think, @iwantedtoexplode and anyone else who reads this? Got any theories?

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

After explaining my questions above better in a profile post (view previous comments) for @iwantedtoexplode, I talked with him via conversation, and we've come up with answers for the occurrences in Kingdom Hearts II. Or, rather, he's come up with answers. :p

In regard to some battle cries overriding others, it has to do with priority:

So, for example, if Goofy falls into critical health and then immediately gets taken out, rather than "Somebody come quick!" followed by "I've had it, fellers..." You'll hear something like this: "Somebody com-- I've had it, fellers..." If it wasn't like the latter, it'd be a mess, as iwantedtoexplode put it.

It also depends on how immediately immediately is, of course, because it could also be, "Somebo-- I've had it, fellers..." or "Somebody come qui-- I've had it fellers..." Essentially, it has to do with whether or not his falling into low health battle cry is still active.

In regard to allies silently supporting themselves (whether they're using a healing ability or an item), it has do with a window frame:

It's a bit more complicated for the first game, though. As iwantedtoexplode put it:

With that said, if you feel an explanation was missed (like the questions I asked iwantedtoexplode), I can provide our full conversation if iwantedtoexplode doesn't mind since it's just questions and answers that would have been posted publicly, anyway. iwantedtoexplode can also post here if he wants and has anything to add.

3. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

I honestly don't know what the point of figuring this out is. XD If it's interrupted then it has been simply interrupted. Not a bug. Or the game could just randomize if they speak or not. Simple as that. Also voices don't overlap each other.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Never strictly said it was a bug, but these things interest me.

5. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Never said you did strictly say. ;)