Audio . : w i n d s o n g

Discussion in 'Production Studio' started by . : tale_wind, Feb 9, 2014.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Welcome to my music thread! I always wanted to do one of these, but never had time or whatever. But anyway! Mostly (meaning about 99.99999% of the time) this is gonna be song covers, but maybe I could be persuaded to share some works in progress...? We'll see. But please please PLEASE don't expect lots of updates. I am lazy and also self-conscious.

For the foreseeable future, I'm going to be using
    Audacity to both mix and record all of my music (I'm petitioning my parents for a microphone as a gift, unless I get a job first and just buy one myself), so quality won't be quite what I'd like it to be. Sorry about that.

Let's start things off, shall we?

First up is a recording I did in November of Utada Hikaru's
    Final Distance. Enjoy!

Constructive criticism on any of my music that I post would be greatly appreciated. c:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Since the KHV Idol results have now been posted, I've now uploaded the cover of Eyes On Me that I submitted for it. Enjoy!~

3. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

Spreading the love around this section.

Dude, you have an really good voice (Or maybe my voice is the one that’s bad rofl), really fitting for the melodic things, your cover of Eyes on Me is really good and I would’ve voted for it if I paid KHV Idol more attention (My mistake as I don’t have a good sound card to record myself singing, I’ll try to pay more attention to it from this point forward, but I can't promise much because bad memory lol).

My only problem is that doesn’t stands out enough and it kind of blends in with the piano, maybe up the volume a bit? Not that much of a problem, though.

Also some little tiny Reverb couldn’t hurt, I understand the hate on using effects on your voice but it sounds a bit dry (Maybe because of your microphone or sound card? IDK). I am not forcing you to change your way of recording but just throwing a few suggestions, sorry if I make it seem otherwise.

4. Shuhbooty moon child

I loved you're cover for final distance! Even more that it was in Japanese! C:

As for eyes on me, if I'm correct this was the number one on the list (which I voted for) o: hearing it again it sounds like you're holding you're breath in longer then you should. Like you were stiff. Only at the slow parts tho, but like lap said we don't know if its you're mic or not so yeah xD

Great work! You have a very lovely voice c:

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Thanks for the comments, guys! ^^

@Laplace: I only started recording things on the computer really recently—like, November, I think—and haven't really done a whole lot of it, so I haven't gotten around to experimenting with effects. I might try fiddling around with some things, though. c:

@Mrs. Mayhem: The microphone I've been using is just whatever happens to be the one built into my computer; I don't actually have a separate microphone...yet. XD I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the breath thing. Is it that I'm not breathing enough, like I'm waiting too long before I breathe again, or is it that I'm not getting enough air in one breath, or...? :s

6. Shuhbooty moon child

I mean you're holding your breath in too long. xD you're not breathing enough.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Ahh, gotcha. I just have a thing against breathing in the middle of a phrase; maybe that's part of it. ^^; Thanks for the clarification!~

8. Shuhbooty moon child

no problem! Sorry I confused you xD I was taught to hold my breath in via tummy and I learned how to silently take a break in. Will you do another cover from utada?

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Perhaps, but probably not for a while, since 100% of the songs I've recorded and posted so far are already J-Pop songs originally by women. XD

That being said, I think that the next Utada cover I do, whenever that is, will probably be Sanctuary or an English version of Final Distance.

10. Shuhbooty moon child

Aww there's nothing wrong with that! It seems for now I shall wait! Can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for you're next cover. :3

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

So on a whim I decided to record a cover of Hallelujah. I tried to keep in mind the suggestions about my breathing and the instrumental volume (I might fiddle with vocal effects later). I hope you all enjoy! c:

12. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

The vocals are definately louder, but your voice starts to fade away eventually and then comes back (Like for example at 00:45)

Is it because of the in-built Microphone not getting your voice properly?

Also listening to this more closely, it seems you also might indeed have an on-board sound card (Or maybe it's the mic again?) because the quality isn't top-notch (As in, it does a "Pop" or cracking sound whenever you hit a high or loud note), do mind that even with the best Mic with an on-board sound card the sound recording quality is going to sound alright at best (I know that myself because I ALSO have an on-board sound card for now).

But not trying to bring down your creativity or equipment, it's a pretty nice cover and from a vocal standpoint.

I enjoyed it personally. c:

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Yeeeah, that's probably the built-in microphone. I tried recording a few times and couldn't get rid of it. :S

...Soon, I shall have a separate microphone... *shakes fist*

14. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

Ah, I see.

By the way, question, do you have an idea of what kind of Mic are you going to get? Cardiod or Condenser? Karaoke or USB?

I'm asking you this because I might ask for a new mic, my current one is... Alright for playing around but I want to get serious. And I barely know what kind of mic to pick, there are just so many brands and models. <_<

At this point I don't know if is really the sound card what's dropping my voice's quality or the mic. And I'm actually quite obsessed with quality and stuff.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Probably some sort of USB mic from Best Buy. I don't really know much about different microphones, but USB mics are nice and inexpensive. : P

16. Shuhbooty moon child

I love it! Aside from the popping sound I think this was a huge improvement. I don't know whether you were just excited but I can see you were really into it. You're breathing is even also, so yay! :D Next please. ~

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

So the other day, it occurred to me that I could plug my Guitar Hero microphone into my computer and record with that, so I tried it and AAAAAAAA MY VOCALS SOUND SO MUCH CLEANER AND NICER IT'S SO GREAT

Expect to see something new soon! Perhaps even re-recordings of some of my previous things?~

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

FYI: The next immediate song going up is my cover of Enchanted for Karaoke Night. Tune into Karaoke Night on May 17, and expect the cover up the next day!

19. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

As promised (though a day later), here's my cover of Enchanted from Karaoke Night!

20. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI