Support Windows XP won't boot

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Misty, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty gimme kiss

Hey all, it has been a while since I posted a problem in here. Google seems to be failing me, as are my usual tricks.

A colleague of my mom's was having an issue with her laptop and my mom offered my services. Because I wasn't around when it started I don't have much info on that.

The laptop is fairly old, a Dell Inspiron 6000, running Windows XP. I can get the more specific specs if needed.

When I first tried booting it, I was getting an error saying that ntfs.sys was missing or corrupted right after the motherboard screen. I used an Ubuntu live CD to copy ntfs.sys from a Windows XP disc to the hard drive, then restarted. I was able to get to the Windows XP loading screen this time, but was met with a BSOD:
    I've run chkdsk (came up with no errors), chkdsk /r, and fixmbr via the recovery console, all to no avail. I also removed the physical hard drive and put it back in just for kicks.

If I try booting to Last Known Good (I have that option after restarting from the BSOD) I get the same error. I tried Safe Mode as well but when it's loading the drivers I get to mup.sys and then it restarts.

The hard drive is accessible via the Ubuntu live CD so I can always replace files that way. Similarly, worst case scenario is that I backup her files to an external HD from the live CD and do a clean install of XP, but I'd rather it not come to that.

2. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Sounds like a bad HDD. I'm not even sure if NTSC.sys is created by windows. I would say find a recovery disk or Xp OS disc and run repair windows to see if it puts back new boot info to the hard drive. I'm having trouble looking for that error code since I'm on my phone.

Ok well 0X0000007b (07B) is obvioulsy INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE. Cannot find any info on 0xF796A528 at all which is weird. You might have a trial and error type deal going on now. Its not giving any info on the cause of the problem.

EDIT

Try this. Hit F8 and select "No reboot computer on error" and you should get an BSOD error. If there is a source of that problem then post it.

3. Misty gimme kiss

I downloaded Windows XP CDs off the internet (it's all legal because it has a genuine copy probably) since I don't have them but I don't get an option to do a repair install. I've tried two different XP isos so I think it's probably the computer.

The BIOS is weird, it's not like the average BIOS, I'm guessing Dell had some kind of custom one back in the day. But anyway, I looked all through it and it doesn't have that option. I did try running the diagnostics and it failed the DST Short Test, which google tells me means something is wrong with the HD. Guess I will have to replace it... it might not be worth it though, I took it out and it's neither IDE or SATA. Ah well.

Edit: Ah nvm, there's just an adapter on the HDD. going to wait until I've backed up the files to mess with it.

Not going to close this just yet, will wait and see if I have additional problems. Thanks for the help so far Miles.

4. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

The safe mode and other options isn't part of the bios. It's windows options. That option I said should be with the safe boot options and last know good configuration. F5 F8 or F12 or whatever button you hit to get into those options. It's different for some computers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.