Your Core Beliefs

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Inasuma, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I was having a discussion with an individual today about core beliefs.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, what I mean by "core beliefs" is that you have a set of beliefs that you naturally just belief without any influence from anything, anywhere (that includes religion). Such as murder, for example; you might consider some kinds of murder just completely wrong and others (such as self-defense) right/negotiable.

The question is... do you think it is possible to "shake" or "change" a persons core beliefs? And if so, how would it come about, and under what conditions might make that possible?

Debate, go!

I personally belief that the idea of core beliefs, in and of itself, is not something that exists. Because if you are born you are essentially clean of all influence, and until you have influence from others (parents, for example). I guess you might have "natural" core beliefs out of instinct, though.

2. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Core beliefs have to come from somewhere, because when we are born we don't really know anything. But once core beliefs are implanted into us I don't think they can be changed so easily. We had a debate like this in Western Civ a while ago. Since we were studying muslims and all that jazz, we talked about how they believe in killin certain ethnic groups and what not. That is taught to thier children at an early age throught children's shows similar to barney. They had a character named Farfour who looked like mickey mouse and taught children to hate jews. Now then do you think you would be able to change the views of a someone who grew up watching that? I doubt it, unless the person had some sort of epiphany or a dramatic life or death experience or some crap like that.

3. Spike H E R O

Core beliefs are usually things we believe in to make life more comfortable. Like religion, in some cases. We hold on to our core beliefs because these are things we feel make the more sense and answers the most questions that we have about life.

It's what some role model taught you at a young age, and after a while, you've believed in that ideal for such a long time that you'd think believing in something else will change you.

Most people base their entire lives on these believes that they become dependant on them and it becomes impossible to have them change their mind. Core beliefs are basically an outlook on life, and humans, being the stubborn people that we are, won't change their beliefs unless something major happens.

4. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I mostly agree with your sentiments Ghetto. I mean people are very easy to influence at a young age and won't change once things become very ingrained. I think core beliefs are really subject to their owner though. I mean to say each person has their own personality, they may be able to change their beliefs when faced with some experience that seems to prove them wrong, others will in the face of seemingly irrefutable evidence stand firm in what they believe in. I myself think that you get your beliefs from your experiences but how you retain or interpret the information to make these beliefs is in part up to you, not consciously though.

5. Repliku Chaser

I will say straight off that I don't believe in the 'Blank Slate' theory that kids are born with no instincts or behaviors that will be noted. I've worked around kids in day care part time and some other situations where I've babysat kids and examinations also in college just show different.

So, having said that, I believe we come equipped with some things on social behavior and empathy. Meaning people who care about each other aren't going to just hurt each other and if someone is hurt by someone else, it makes others scared or angry. Also people do tend to learn to share to get more advantages etc. Some things I just feel are instinctive and there but of course need honed and made more apparent for what reasons they exist in the first place.

Other things, I think it takes the environment and adults to instill in children. Children aren't going to come equipped with religion but instead are curious by nature. Lessons of morals such as don't lie, steal, murder etc may also be passed down by adults for reasons that obviously it can get kids hurt to not know these. I think the morals then are laid out to kids to accept, as well as religions in many children's cases. Also, such things as how to act like a 'gentleman' or 'lady', how to act mannerly in society etc, these are taught. Humans though do have a great gift of mirroring others so some lessons aren't as hard as others. We are very impressionable, especially at young ages.

However, as the child ages and can think more for himself/herself, this is when the thinking begins and those things learned are questioned and evaluated. This is also when things become more 'core beliefs' to a person and they continue on after you grow up. These core beliefs too may change with enough evidence and if a person is willing to contest it.
    i.e. racial issues, sexuality issues, religious issues, philosophical quandaries, education and how important it is, whether lying -all the time- is bad, or is there a place and time when killing is justified or not.
    These are things that children start thinking on and as teenagers and adults it becomes more prominent. I know my own core beliefs have changed throughout my life probably since I was about 9 years old and through the teenage years to becoming an adult that now goes to college. I expect other things will be tested and my views will continue now and then to be modified or altered.

However, people also, as they age, become more stubborn and stuck in their ways if they allow themselves to close their minds. So in some adults, things are just the way they are because they are that way. Our core beliefs often are what people relate to who they absolutely are, so there is always a fight to change something that we value inside ourselves. Even those with an open mind to many things have to face that and it is life altering when a core belief shifts. I hope this made sense. But yes, I do believe a person's core beliefs can be shifted but the experience will alter the way that person thinks from that time on and change their personality even. Sometimes this is a good thing and other times it is not. Usually changes in core beliefs happen through traumatic experiences or something is just so revealing and out there that the person has a revelation and just feels compelled that the move is the right thing to do.

So, I believe in instinctive core personalities and traits we are 'wired' with, but core beliefs in themselves I think are honed and taught and can be altered throughout life if a person wills it so.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

I kinda think that people are born with instincts and thoughts similar to their parents, hence that whole genetic blue-print stuff coming into play. However, since that person is born of two different layouts, with different beliefs and thoughts, those beliefs can come into conflict within the child, leading to somewhat of a blank state on some matters, which are filled with what the child sees and hears with development. Whether those matters come into a different context in that child's mind than their parents, or goes with what the parents think, is determined by how dependent the child is. If they can come up with their own ideas, they often end up being filled with good core beliefs, such as believing it unfair to hurt others that have not done any wrong to them, but if not, they end up having others make up their minds for them, becoming less individualistic and more hive-minded, whether for the good or bad.

I honestly don't really know where that came from ^_^

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

yes, i believe it's possible to shake a person's core beliefs but it's very hard to because most ppl only hear what they want to hear. i really don't think there would be ANY beliefs that can be found in a person without any influence. i mean, it has to come from SOMEWHERE

8. Jayn

I think that if you're core beliefs are REALLY what you believe, then no. If you're easily shaken or changed up about it, it's not real faith. It's just...Something that you decided to think. I know the things that I truly believe, no one can change, unless they have total proof and they dont give up on me until I break down. :D

9. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

I beleive that you can change their core beliefs. Just show them how wrong it is or right it is to them. If you persuade them and they still don't believe you, then show them how wrong it is by showing a vid, reading a book or something that has reference showing teh witnesses feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.