Digital Art ♫Signature Sebax♫ A Gallery

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Sebax, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

For the past two months, I have been using multiple applications on my computer to create Sigs for my own personal use on KHV. One, the one still there until the end of April, was created as a promotional for an RP I am involved in, and that's largely what made me dive a little deeper into Graphic Arts. I plan to continue this self-production bit for months to come, but I thought I'd ask about how I'm starting off. I use Picasa 3, Powerpoint, and Picture Manager to edit the pictures I get, and so far the central theme has been Disney (I am huge Disney Fanatic).

My step by step process is that I usually start in Picasa 3 and touch-up colors and visual appeal of the selected photo, then copy and paste it into Powerpoint to make slighter edits and have more control over where text goes and how it can look. Lastly, I copy and paste the final image into Windows Picture Manager so that it's saved and usable.

I have included the Avatars I use with the signatures as well, because I believe a good set makes for a complete appearance.

[​IMG]

Sig:
    This was the promotional one, obviously. Note the symbol in the bottom right corner. It originally contained no rain overlay, but it was, instead, added by me and recolored to blend more naturally with the image. All the coloration in the Bambi scene was edited delicately in Picasa 3 to arrive at a cool, watery, and life-filled image that displays the innocence of the Young Prince while observing the elements. The caption "April Attendance" was the name of the promotion and was made in Microsoft Powerpoint; the goal was to make something "Fluffy that popped and flowed to fit the lightly watery them".

[​IMG]

Here I am aimed for something to fit the theme of the Sig. Cool, but somewhat retro and "poppy" from its use of a classic comic book print added for visual effect. The background is blue, but Bambi pops out with a glowy green. I was thinking "Andy Warhol" in the back of my head for this one, which ultimately culminated in the boxes that can be seen, but don't variably change the appearance of the originally hand-drawn image as much as the recoloring does.
    Sig:
    [​IMG]

This was not meant to be promotional, but I intend for my Sigs to link through to the RP that inspired my jump into Graphic Art. The KHSOS symbol remains, but is muted in the corner and out of general focus. This picture is warmer, with all the warmth and sunny glow surrounding the naturally blue little alien "Experiment 626". The focus on the sharply contrasted blue and red colors fits the theme of the movie, and the words "May Love" leaves for a lot of interpretation. "May Love" can be "Love of May" or it can be a wish; "May Love Reach your Heart" was the original message of this Sig, but I found it too cheesy and it covered too much of the ducklings, whom I felt were important to the piece overall. This Sig also introduces a little signature to at least make an attempt that what I'm doing is just used by me. I'm considering opening a Sig shop, but I don't really know if my style is palatable yet. I'd love to hear comments about the Signature in the corner of the Sig as well, if you're as much into Music and Calligraphy as you are into general Art.

[​IMG]

As much as I want to toy around, experiment, and create new looks, I also want to keep a sense of tradition as well. This avatar copies, but also simplifies, what is noticable in the Bambi Avatar. It doesn't vary as much in coloration, but so as to not contrast too much with the Sig. I actually had to bring focus to Stitch's face here. That's the thing. I'll need to look for the original source material, since what I think I did best are the things that are going to get noticed the least.

I hope you enjoy my budding gallery, and I hope to continue this little project for months to come. Thank you for your time.

Odd Mix, huh? Well, not so much, since they're both cats and the theme has a relevancy!

Sig:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I couldn't get GIMP to work for me. I couldn't find the right tools, so I stuck with Powerpoint for now. I did take some suggestions though, such as the placement of the imaged character, using C4D's and Fractiles, and trying to make the text really more just something to look at than something to draw notice.

Why Thomas O'Malley this month? I pick Disney Characters I identify with, and Thomas is no exception. I've always appreciated his charm and wit, and his being a cat happened to be pretty important for what I'm doing this month and what I'm about to relate.

Avie:

[​IMG]

Hopefully, you can still recognize him if you are a fan of Broadway, West End, or just Musical Theatre in General. Gus, the Theatre Cat, as portrayed by John Mills in the filmed version of Andrew Lloyd's Webber's "Cats", which was based off a poetry collection of T. S. Elliot. Gus has been one of my favorite poems of all time, because I get the sense of fear that comes with "You are now too old, you cannot be an actor anymore". I recently got the chance to audition for the role of Gus and other characters, but I was honored to get Gus. Finally, a use for my thin frame. Granted, I'm a young man playing as an old cat, but I am, after all, more of a mix between a character and dramatic actor, and I really wanted to bring that to Gus. The Casting Directors agreed, and now I wear this Avatar as a badge of honor as I prepare for my part.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Huh. Interesting avatar dimensions.

I like both of your avatars, but they seem a little fuzzy. Maybe it has to do with the sources you used? Couldn't say. I'd also suggest moving both characters out of the center of the image, as it makes them a little more dynamic.

Out of the two sigs I think the Bambi one is the weakest: While I generally like your color balance here, the snowy effect doesn't lie well on Bambi at all, and there's no sense of flow or unified lighting which makes Bambi himself stick out like a sore thumb. I'd suggest applying layers of gradient color with Lighten or Overlay properties, or something like that. The text could use some work as well, as it also sticks out; try using more colors from your background, make it more ambient and do away with the stretching. A wise man once told me that text in graphic art is not really meant to be read, only to serve as further decoration.

The second signature is much better, more consistent flow and better focal point. The text fits a little better, but its placement seems arbitrary and distracts from Stitch rather than framing him. I'd also recommend removing your name from the second and the Kingdom Hearts S.O.S. logo from both. Not a lot you can do to make a watermark fit, and the link attached to the image does all the work anyway.

That was mostly negative but I will say that, again, I like your color balance and the idea behind your avatars. There's definitely potential here.

3. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

This is great for someone starting out : D you know, there are better and more helpful programs that you can use (GIMP is probably the best if you want something free and legal). It will allow you to, firstly, experiment more with the sizes of avatars (as they are generally supposed to be small icons, on KHV they can be up to 200x200 pixels). It will give you a great variety of tools at your disposal as well as better ways of presenting text.

Anyway, don't let any negative comments dishearten you as you are completely on the right track in developing your graphic art, the best thing to start with is a good quality render or picture, the ones you have used are quite grainy and can really bring the signature down a lot, all the effects in the world can't make a Picasso out of a bad quality stock.

Your experiments here have a lot of thought behind them and that is good, keep at that but I have to agree with Nova, the rule of thirds is very important: a link Misty posted about this rule that illustrates the point well.

Your colours are vibrant and beautiful but, on the stitch sig, the ducklings are sort of faded a bit from being so bright xD of course, that only helps make Stitch stand out more. One thing I was always taught was the importance of the focal point and making sure not to put anything major too far away from it so that it would draw your attention away. This includes text or other things, your "May love" text abides by this so very well done : D but the SOS and Sebax in opposing corners feels like a bit much, I suggest only having one and having it in the "Sebax" corner. Having said that, I do love the variation of fonts used in the "Sebax" signature, it's very unique : D

Please keep it up, this really shows your potential and I would hate to see that wasted : D

4. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

I'm taking everything into account. When it came to the KHSOS symbol and the Sebax signature, that I think I can defend as a more traditional artist branching into the art style of sigs. I don't like empty space. Those spots in the corner just felt so empty, and even though it wasn't necessary to advertise or place a watermark, I was really just looking to fill a "void".

Also, I realize now this was a bit of a mistake, but there's really nothing wrong with the photos I took from. They weren't blurry and they weren't grainy. I'm largely an old fashioned sort of person when it comes to a taste in movies, so the whole "grainy" look really appeals to me personally. I also blur things to try and bring focus to the character, but I realize the rule of three now (Thanks!) that really makes sense in the fact that the whole image is the center; it's not meant to be really looked at, but rather meant to look nice and accent its place on the forum page well. Individually, as a beginner at this, I was treating each piece as it's own visual piece. But I think I have it now.

I appreciate the criticism and the compliments. All were fair, honest, and not received with hurt feelings. I like learning. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick my subject for June with a little more care to the more precise art of appealing to the look and character of KHV, but also keeping my uniqueness intact.