10 unconventional / unpopular opinions that you have

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Styx, Jul 24, 2013.

1. T3F Chaser

if we're allowed to keep going, then woo! Let's go!

11. There is no such thing as a true friend. You just have to settle for the people you hang out with

12. Trust, like respect, has to be earned. I know this is a no-brainer, but there are some people stupid enough to tell someone their deepest, darkest secrets and cry when the entire world knows about it

13. I understand why people aren't okay with abortion, but I think if you know you have insufficient resources to care for the child, or you are just not ready, then you should be able to take matters into your own hands. Use a condom, too, that usually helps with the whole "not getting pregnant" thing.

14. Prostitution should be legal. Honestly, why is it so goddamn horrible to be a sex worker? Surely our society is desensitised enough that we've accepted getting paid for sex as a not-so-bad idea.

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

You want me to go on? The other reason is because most people use topics like these to air out their grievances towards groups, trends, individuals, etc. that they dislike, which has already been done a number of times as far as I can see. It's a toxic atmosphere that should be purified before ever leaving the body, not expelled like pollution from a plant.

You might've seen my post as an attack, but I'd say it falls under the umbrella of the title subject. If you don't care for it, I'd invite you to reflect on how your "unpopular opinions" make others feel.

3. Styx That's me inside your head.

The fact that no one really jumped on someone's list hoping to tear a particularly irking point to shreds (like part of me hoped they would) is proof enough that the members here are mature enough not to be poisoned by the "toxic atmosphere".
    On another note, I've also seen people in agreement on opinions they deemed unpopular, so the thread can be seen in a more positive light as well.

4. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

Thank you so much:

1. Feminism is ******ed, I almost quit tumblr because there are feminists everywhere in the site. I can't stand it when feminists have to freak out when something like a video game comes out and they say "these women are to sexualized" now first off, its not your game, the creator can do whatever he wants to the game, second off what if the game comes from another country such as Japan? Now I'm no expert on Japan even though I'm an otaku but I think in Japan's culture they accept odd models for women, so basically your arguing about culture. Also you don't see me going around saying "god the male characters in this game are just too buffy!"

2. Even though I don't like certain consoles such as the Xbox One I don't give a crap on which console or platform you play on, just enjoy the video games, when Xbox One had DRM I didn't complain about that because I knew I would be a hypocrite because I love Steam and Steam is like the origin of DRM.

3. Don't see why people complain about Playstation Home, I mean what where you expecting? Something amazing? All it is is a social network for PS3, nothing more.

4. Don't see why people hate Apollo Justice, I thought it was the second best game in the Ace Attorney series. The reason why Apollo was a dubbed down character is because Phoenix fanboys freaked out when Capcom announced a new protagonist so they had to change the entire game because of that. I hope to god that they don't do anything stupid with Apollo like making him quit being a defense attorney because honestly, I love the guy.

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

You wanted them to be less mature about it? That's... disturbing.

I worry more for what goes unsaid in public. And if the aim is to promote unity, I imagine there are better methods.

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I didn't really think to argue against points? I just thought we were suppose to post them. But if you're opening up that avenue:

Having kids is a natural instinct, the reason we have sex drives and sensitive sexual organs is to give us the incentive to create said troglodytes. And the whole long term and short term ecological footprint you're putting forward is very far from each other and not entirely accurate. For example, your child could go into conservationism and tackle some of their carbon footprint by cultivating forest, etc, and the destruction of the trees could potentially have a greater negative effect. Humans live for say 80-100 years lets say, whilst trees can potentially live 5 times on average, hell the oldest known tree is around 9,550 years old, that thing surely trumps the garage alone. The thing is, we don't know exactly about pollution and carbon footprints and all their long term effects, and the primary idea of coservationsim is seeing how long we can keep the world going, like our own lives.

And I wouldn't call myself a tree hugger, but i think philosophy and science has all agreed that there are limited resources on this planet, as well as limited space and we need to best utilise what little we have. Waste is wasteful, allows progression to slow and causes negative effects like pollution which leads to health issue and blah blah. Living in London with the cars and all those harmful gases has given me asthma, believe me, trees are the healthier option and better looking. It's one of those 'if the whole human race pulled together, we could change the world' kinda things, but that's the problem with individuality, we alone make little difference to the world, it is only as a whole can we hope to change the way of things. It's why we create groups like Feminism, Marxism, Christianity, Hinduism, etc, because it is the institution, the combined body of humans, that builds and destroys our world and changes things forever.

Eh, I find users of drugs are the main people who want it legalised, so it's a bit biased. Whilst the rest who want it legalised are usually people who are like 'no censor, no laws, freedom for all!' and who primarily argue that since it's illegal and up to personal decision it should be legal, so again a bit biased, since it's a viewpoint that primarily doesn't incorporate proof that is reliable, since they'll only accept the evidence that supports them instead of the whole argument
    The rest of the people either don't care, or are oppossed to it. A few are just well informed and unbiased.

As to evidence, i've switched back and forth between what is science and what's a social experiment, it's hard to tell with certain published work what factors were reliable or accurate enough. And it depends on the drug, of course. In general i'm fine with the system now, though I think marijuanna shouldn't be as severe a punishment, it's one of the least negatively affecting drugs. Then again, legalising it would be easier to control and that's the only argument i agree with fully as to why it should be legalised, other reasons i'm not as committed. And legalising heroine wouldn't help users of heroine, not to mention would cause a lot of trouble from the legislation, businesses cropping up, drug market controlled by these narcotics, social backlash and morality, and so on.

7. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Hmm, very good and interesting points here. Now for ten of my own.

1. I'm gonna start out light and say that root beer is disgusting. As are skittles. And apple-pie. Also, country music (unless it's a very very good song) irks me out to no end. Basically, I'm not American.

2. The Twilight Books, while containing fairly decent characters and a somewhat tolerable plot-line, should not be made available to impressionable pre-teen girls who, because of said series, now become completely dependent on slimy high-schoolers who are stalkerish and controlling, because "He's my Edward/Jacob!" And the Twilight Movies... well, the first one made a good comedy, but the rest just completely missed the mark.

3. There are some people who have no business being parents. Seriously, if you take on the responsibility of raising a child, you have to be responsible enough to take care of said child. If I see one more dirty hungry rude attention-starved kid with tangled hair who wears the same outfit three weeks before changing, I'm going to scream.

4. If you are a teacher/social worker/child therapist and you know one of those kids I mentioned above, don't label them as a "bad kid" and tell me I wouldn't like them if I 'Knew the dirt." I know the dirt. Seriously, anyone who takes the time to even talk to these kids knows the dirt. Those kids are begging for some positive attention. You show them you care and they'll pour their little hearts out. They're not bad kids. They're kids who came from bad places and were never taught the rules. When they know the rules, they become the sweetest kids you know.

5. Actually, if you're anyone and you know anybody I know, don't try and tell me that I should stay away from them and, (again), that I wouldn't like them if I knew the dirt. I'm a pastor's kid and a homeschooler. But that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the world. If I hang out with somebody who makes bad choices, it's not because I have no idea what they do when I'm gone. It's because I genuinely like them as a person, and if they walk away and deal pot, sure, I'll be upset, but I'm not gonna throw away a friendship because of it.

6. Please, if you're one of my friends who "make bad choices," don't feel like you have to try and pretend that you don't when you're around me. I know people who pretend to be all spiritual when they talk to my face, and then the next day they're bragging about their conquests when they think I don't notice. Christians have facebooks, too. You sent me a friend request or accepted mine, you know that I see everything you post. Don't try to act all perfect because you think I believe you are. You're not fooling anyone.

7. While I'm on the issue of facebook: Posting pictures of rain falling on roses or daisies with phrases like "When I say 'I'm okay' I'm really hiding a crying child inside" or "The strongest kinds of people are the ones who smile through the pain" or "If you looked in my eyes when I say 'I'm okay' you would know I'm really not." For heavens sake, simply posting those pictures is nullifying any claim you have to "secretly hurting." You aren't secret about it. You make very sure that everyone on your friends list sees it. Also, stop these stupid "like" contests like "Like this picture if you love puppies. Share if you want to stop child abuse. Ignore if you want to be boiled in oil tonight for being selfish." I mean, I love puppies as much as the next guy, and child abuse is horrible. But I don't want to share every stupid picture, and last time I checked, I'm still alive. No boiling in oil here.

8. I personally believe that homosexuality is sin. (This can get on the nerves of some of my gay/lesbian friends sometimes.) But I also believe that no sin is better or worse than any other sin, and so if I'm friends with people who tell lies sometimes, I'm not going to shun people who are gay or lesbian. (And this can get on the nerves of some of my religious friends sometimes.) And seriously, stop this whole "God hates gays" thing going on. Read your Bibles, people. You might just come to the verse that says "If anyone says 'I love God' and yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." There you have it. If you hate gay people, you don't love God. Anyone who truly loves God loves what God loves, and, according to the most famous verse in the Bible, "For God so loved the world (THE WORLD. Not just the straight people) that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever (WHOSOEVER. Not just straight people) believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." Seriously. Stop pretending to be a Christian if you aren't going to live it. You give the rest of us a bad name.

9. I am pro-life. Mainly, I think abortion for the sake of convenience is sick. I understand if the situation is one where the pregnancy would kill the mother and the baby with it. But if you want to get an abortion simply because you messed up and now you have this baby you don't want, get over yourself and shoulder the responsibility of the consequence arisen due to your actions. If you're mature enough to make the choice to run the risk of conception, you ought to be mature enough to finish what you started. And if you don't think you can raise a kid, or if you can't afford it, give the baby up for adoption. True, there's a risk that your kid might end up in foster care for their whole lives, and nobody should have to go through that. But there are also hundreds of great families looking to adopt. My aunt and uncle were adopted because the doctors told my grandmother she would never have kids. (And then my mom happened, and after her, the twins, but that's another story), and they turned out great. I also have two cousins who were adopted, and they're amazing people who live very happy lives. If my aunt, uncle, or cousins had been aborted... the world would have been robbed of not only four people, but of the children they themselves would have had. My aunt's two kids, two of the funniest people I know, and the people who introduced me to Lego Star Wars AND Kingdom Hearts, would not exist. And then I never would have played Kingdom Hearts and I wouldn't know any of you.

10. Ending on another light note: Charmin needs to fire whoever is in charge of their advertising campaign. Actually, Charmin has historically had such awful commercials that everyone who ever worked on them since the beginning of their commercial experience deserves to be publicly humiliated on live television. Seriously, give me a call. I've been working on this "stunt double" angle that could really work. You're not getting anything with the Bear Bottoms campaign.

8. Styx That's me inside your head.

Having the mother of all hangovers so keeping it curt...

Maturity just isn't as entertaining. And promoting unity wasn't the main goal, I was just saying that there were two sides on this coin.

That was the idea, but I knew discussions would erupt eventually.

So is cheating on your wife.

I said I could be more environmentally friendly, just like your child could turn out a conservationist.. Of course there's a chance I won't be. Said brat(s) may opt to spend their days in the forest hunting deer caveman-style, but I don't think anyone has a negative carbon footprint, so not having kids is always more environmentally friendly and having them is always selfish.

Also, the example was a figure of speech, as I thought was obvious. I'm sure you have Literal Day marked on your calendar, but I'd appreciate it if you celebrated it within your personal entourage.

No, we don't. You make the same mistake everyone else does: treating the option to "save" the planet as the only one we have.

Politics are biased. Business cats generally voted for Romney, poor sods generally voted for Obama. There's no shame in choosing for what benefits you.

So having an opinion means you're biased? How does that work exactly?

9. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Not exactly, humans are more diverse than simple animal instincts, we have them but we also additionally have the higher brain functions and range of emotional development as we do. We are creatures that can fall in love and stay with one partner for our whole lives or sleep with anything with a pulse for our whole lives. Sexual desire is more base than partner selection. And you're probably going to tell me it was a turn of phrase but I thought it was worth noting.

About as selfish as wanting to live i'd say. I mean, your view of having a kid being selfish because it will cause a carbon footprint, begs the extremist viewpoint of why not just kill yourself or others, since that also leads to a reduced carbon footprint per human. It also makes me wonder if you'd praise serial killers for being conservationist since they've killed people and ceased their carbon footprint, and that they've technically done good things for the environment.

But your argument that things could go either way doesn't really support you side of the argument or the opposing side, since it's a middle opinion that either good or bad could happen and that both sides can argue.
    Whilst having a child might mean creating a carbon footprint, i think carbon footprint is a bit of a demonised term thanks to the media. Every creature from the animal kingdom produces a carbon footprint, that's unavoidable, and it's not the end of the world if they create one. Cows produce mega amounts of methane, and have for a millennia and beyond, but the ozone layer hasn't crashed, nor has the waste they produce stayed around in a pile in a field for centuries. The carbon footprint isn't a permanent thing that will never go away, indeed, plant life recycles the carbon we produce naturally, like the tree example i gave. If we didn't produce any carbon, plant life would cease to exist, no nutrients in the soil no carbon dioxide to breath, all their sources of life gone. Nature is harmoniously balanced that it moderates all of these factors that allows both sides to equally benefit from each other, a kind of grand symbiosis.
    Humans having built machines and developed technology that produces a carbon footprint about 10 times the average person 300 years ago would have, has shifted the careful balance nature held, causing this worry of a massive carbon footprint in the world since nature can't naturally sustain the increase in the production of carbon. This is why we recycle and find new renewable energy, to correct the imbalance modern living has caused upon the Earth. And if you're thinking why even bother or something to that effect, it is because this earth and its atmosphere is what sustains us, without a healthy earth, we all die, maybe not any time soon or in this lifetime, but all that you once were will die with the future of humanity.

People having their own children and saying that's why you don't believe in being environmentally friendly seems a poor excuse to just not do anything, when it could be your inaction to be environmentally friendly that is creating this greater carbon footprint than that child could potentially make in the future. Could be, could not, we don't know empirically the total sum of it all. What we do know is that we are, at some level, creating an imbalance and as such should work towards creating a more harmonious balance.

There are other options?

Biased people ignore the negatives of an argument, if you want a fair assessment, you don't want one type of group telling you 'the way it is' when there are many opinions on what 'it' even is. Especially drug users who develop an addiction, who rely on drugs and want it legalised because their addiction has given them false reinforcement behaviour and cognitive delusions. If a drug makes you feel good but is likely going to increase your chance of dying each time you take it, it's hard to tell if it is a 'benefit' and if it actually 'benefits' the population of a country as a whole and not just this small group.

10. Labrys King's Apprentice

Hmmm once you think about it Nova does have a great point here, but so far I haven't seen that.
    <3

11. I hate it when people in public restrooms don't know how to flush the toilets! I mean you wouldn't want anyone's crap in the toilet your using, it's nasty!

11. Mish smiley day!

Some of the posts in this thread are what I'd call 'conventional/popular opinions'..

1. I don't think that transexuals should be allowed to use the toilets/bathrooms of the gender that they identify with unless they 100% live as that gender and can pass as that gender to other people.

2. Births should be regulated. I wouldn't go so far as to say that having children is 'selfish' but if you have more than two kids, that is selfish. If you have more than that - pay a fine or something.

3. I hold literally no opposition to abortion. Abortions for all!

4. Criminals who have served their time and been rehabilitated should be allowed to make a fresh start, especially if their crime was high profile. I am sick of the lynch mob culture that prevails in the UK.

5. Bullying in schools should be taken far more seriously. Detention for assault/harassment is kind of ridiculous.

6. I think that the raised prices for alcohol/cigarettes is a good thing.

7. Gays/lesbians should be allowed to adopt/foster/etcetc children. I doubt this is a very unconventional/unpopular opinion on this site but in other parts of the Western world..

8. Unless you have a clear reason not to, respect your elders. Sometimes it is okay for parents to say 'because I said so' and leave it at that. Especially if you're living off them.

12. Hayabusa Venomous

Before I get onto my own list, and I know these are opinions:

...what? Do you mean the actual organizations, or like every individual church? Because if its the second, that's just completely false.

I'll disagree with this by saying that, for a starting writer, it can help a lot to work with something that's been established already in order for you to refine some of your own skills, BUT after maybe one or two short stories, it's a good idea to make your own thing. Don't make some long-winded copy of the original. Just my thoughts on fan fiction.

This I'm just not at all comfortable with. I hate the series too, but to try banning it because you think kids who read it will become motivated to do things like the characters in the book is exactly the same kind of reasoning so many people had to ban movies and video games. Censorship shouldn't be catering to things that you personally dislike...but I'll get to censorship later.

This is actually true. Learned about it in my Biopsychology course. Men are naturally trying to make as many offspring as possible, because our bodies never figured out "OH HEY THIS WHOLE PASSING ON MY DNA THING SHOULD TURN OFF NOW." Along with that instinct is the whole "pregnant women can smell snakes and gay men." Look it up, it's true.

Now for my own opinions:
    1. As much as I would want to get rid of an age of consent altogether, it'd be way too hard to regulate otherwise. If there's ever some kind of case of "underage sex," people really do need to listen to the people involved. If the people involved do admit to giving consent, THEN LEAVE IT AT THAT. I can't figure out a good minimum age, but it's not 18 if you ask me. Some people are more mature at 15 than so many people I know at 18.
    2. Too many people don't understand that being fit is a physical state that actually requires consistent effort. You don't just get fit once and never have to worry about it. This is why I hate when people say "I wish I had a six pack!" No, you don't, because I know that you won't maintain that six pack. So don't go bagging on people who work out, and also don't feel bad for not being as fit as other people. Long as you're still relatively healthy, like the body that fits your lifestyle. We're not all required to look Adonis-esque.
    3. I genuinely think that everyone deserves at least minor respect, until they prove that they don't deserve it. Being a ******bag to someone you just met isn't making things better for anyone.
    4. Censored porn makes no sense. Like, what are you doing Japan.
    5. Since when did so many people become a prick to people who are sad? Is it impossible to be sad without being categorized as emo or weak? Like, I get it when it's overdone, but it is possible to just have a bad day and not be a fan of Secondhand Serenade (hah, jokes!)
    6. Oh yeah, about jokes? They're called jokes for a reason. Offensive jokes shouldn't exist because they're jokes. Unless that joke is made solely to offend (and it's usually obvious if it is), don't get your jimmies rustled.
    7. Posting vague shit on Facebook is a sin. If you have something to say, especially to someone specific, THEN DO IT. Don't bring all your friends & family into it and make them wonder what the hell is going on.
    8. More people should be adopting animals from shelters then from big stores. You get a pet out of it and you're saving an animal from having to be euthanized.
    9. Grinding should not be a thing in video games anymore. It made sense back then with how limited technology was, but now? Games should be constantly creating appropriate challenges to keep you ready for the next thing, without dragging on because you're under leveled. It should feel like a game, not like a job.
    10. As Peace and War said, prisons need to focus more on rehabilitation. It makes no sense to keep someone locked up for 3 years (making up a number) because they killed someone, then just let them out so they can do it again.
    11. Nudity isn't a big deal. Like, really, why are so many countries irked by it? And I'm not like, endorsing public nudity, I'm just not seeing how it's a problem. If you're trying to "protect the kids", then EDUCATE THEM, instead of covering their eyes and saying it's "just bad."
    12. Freedom of Speech allows you to say things that people might not agree with, but it shouldn't be an excuse to say such things without any thought behind it. Disagreement for the sake of disagreement doesn't make sense.
    13. I want more interracial couples to be shown in (at least) video games and films. That's all I have to say about that.
    14. Kingdom Hearts II is better than Kingdom Hearts I because it does combat a lot better, and combat is honestly the main focus of the series. Just wish it didn't overdo Reaction Commands though. As...someone said, Devil May Cry 3 has some of the best combat in video games, and it has one melee button (unless you use Swordmaster)
    15. On the subject of Kingdom Hearts, I don't want Kingdom Hearts III to have any Marvel or Star Wars worlds. If we're calling these Disney-based worlds, they should be based on films that Disney actually made, not just bought out.
    16. Too many people think music today sucks just because of what's on the radio. The music industry is to blame for this. Too many bands are trying less to be their own thing and trying more to simply sell so that they'll find success at the cost of sounding generic. There are plenty of good artists that still exist, you just have to actually look.
    17. Atheists, quit ganging up on religious people. Religious people, quit ganging up on atheists. You don't have to summarize a person by what they believe (or don't believe.) That's not the only facet of a person.

I'll probably have more later.

13. Sara Tea Drinker

Eh... I'll say organizations. Though honestly I'm not a huge fan of churches overall because of what happened with my dad and churches. And the aftermath. I do think that most churches will at some point. It is also my opinion, though. :P

14. Styx That's me inside your head.

No, I was right. Since sperm cells are cheap to produce and not bound to a certain time of the month, males of many species including humans increase their reproductive success by mating with as many females as possible. Contrariwise, because ova are precious resources, females benefit from carefully selecting their partners. Seeing as they wouldn't want their ova to go to waste, females select (among other traits) on loyalty and paternal care.This is a plausible theory as to why monogamy came into being and adultery became unacceptable, taught to me by people more experienced and intelligent than you, so I will not have you deny this truth unless you can back it up with the same level of elaboration they did.. Monogamy and polygamy are both natural instincts, although the former came into being due to constraints on behaviour. My point was that "natural instincts" don't justify anything.

Taken to a more extreme side, this is true.

Oh, so I can only judge a person's actions by how good they are for the environment? How terribly nice of you. And before you try to make a case for other factors to having children, save your breath. I have never heard another reason for having kids other than the parents' personal desire to have them. I sincerely hope you're not going to try and argue how this is anything other than selfish. Note, though, that I don't condemn their selfishness but their hypocrisy. If you care so much about the environment that you feel the need to rub it in people's faces every other second, then having kids and thus doing your part in making it worse doesn't give your statements much credibility.

That's only true if you deny the idea that it's easier and more likely to do more harm than good. It may be possible to to tilt the balance in a productive favour in theory, but good luck finding any examples in practice.

Oh yes, because I've obviously been more informed on this subject by the media than, oh I don't know...my university courses.

"Why bother?" is exactly the question I'm asking. You see the future of humanity as something that must be protected at all costs, while I do not. Whether humanity can keep living on for 500 or 5000 or even 50 years, I truly couldn't care less. That is the other option, and equally worth considering.

My "poor excuse" is that I'm not going to fight for a lost cause.

Not listening to their arguments because they're just one group is equally biased.

So creating a brand new market for it and the chance to reduce crime aren't benefits at all? Just throwing that in here. Like I said, I don't have a strong opinion of it and yes, there are plenty of negatives to it as well.

15. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I was taught Sperm Competition theory as well in Psychology, I know what you're talking about for sure and it has a lot of merit behind it, I don't deny that at all. I'm trying to put across is that human behaviour is diverse over the whole species, and that our behaviour has developed further than most other species in terms of sexual behaviour, so this theory, while applicable tat times, it isn't a full explanation of all individuals. If you want arguments against sperm competition theory and that the male seeks out multiple mates in order to reproduce, than look at monogamy, homosexuality, celibacy, asexualisation to name the few that pop into my head. Those types of sexual behaviour all exist, the fact is not every man believes in sleeping with every female they can, I myself don't.
    These instincts you are describing would have predominately been a part of pre-civilisation homo sapiens and homo erectus, the first beginnings of proper sperm competition theory of our species from ancestors as a way for the species to survive. As human brain power and intelligence has expanded, it has resulted in a diversification of all types of behaviour including sexual behaviour, like the ones I listed. What most theories fail to account for when it comes to the application of hat is considered natural, is that behaviour in our species has not stagnated as other species have, we quickly progress along multiple options as we develop. What may have been completely applicable to the species in the past may not be around three generations down the line. Environmental factors influenced human culture and in turn attitudes toward sex over the centuries, which is why Christianity sees sexual drive and a sin whilst Hinduism developed the Kama Sutra. Humans are not so simple as to be encompassed in one theory, and it's why we have so many applied to us, and why Psychology can't explain everything, even with empirical evidence.

The fact it's a theory means it's a developed idea posed around evidence gathered. Saying 'this truth' is a false statement. Saying we males have sperm is truth, saying we have sperm for X reason is not. And hold the insults, they don't support your argument nor make you seem any more reputable for insulting my intelligence.

16. Styx That's me inside your head.

I never said that humanity can be summarized in one theory and we should all be thrown on the same heap. As I stated in my previous post, my point was only meant to demonstrate that labeling something a "natural instinct" doesn't make it right. Cheating on your wife is a natural instinct, but generally thought of as not very nice. Some of these instincts have indeed become anachronisms. Having (multiple) children can become one of them for all I care.

Calling it a "truth" was a dumb choice of words, I'll grant you that.

I didn't insult you or your intelligence.
    Oh, and pointing out that I'm basically re-iterating stuff I've been told by people that know their shit coms down to an appeal to authority, which does support my argument.

16. If lots of people genuinely enjoy a game (or any medium meant to entertain), then it cannot be overrated.
    17. Altruism doesn't exist. Everything you do will be satisfying at some level.

17. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I'm not so sure about that one... From an evolutionary perspective, selection would favor the child who was raised and educated by both parents, since s/he would be well-rounded and better equipped to survive. I can't imagine a behavior like that surviving so long solely based on evolutionary principles, much less being par for the course for that reason. It's a similar argument, though a far less drastic version of it, that is used to explain the behavior of rapists; but most rapists don't stick around to see if a kid is born and take care of it, and if there is a child, that child likely has monetary troubles and a lacking education to deal with, putting him/her at a disadvantage from other children. If we'd been on like that since time immemorial, I can scarcely imagine we'd be facing overpopulation troubles at this stage.

Further, it wouldn't explain cheating on your wife with a fella. Unless you wanna elope with him and adopt a little tyke. :L

18. Labrys King's Apprentice

12. Kh should be rebooted

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

You're right, thank you for pointing this out. I've thought on it, and I'm going to re-phrase this one: I think that, although there is no way of controlling who reads them, any parent who takes precautions in the kind of media their child reads, should encourage their child to hold off on the Twilight books until they are mature enough to handle it. Or, for an alternate option, a parent who takes precautions in the kind of media their child reads, should allow their child to read them, but explain to their child that such things need to be handled with extreme prejudice when they start dating. So, I agree that there is no way to ban such things, but I still hold to the opinion that the books are severely detrimental to the mindset of impressionable teenage girls. And yes, I do know twelve year old girls who fall over every guy they see and won't listen to reason. Although, admittedly, there are lots of other factors in the lives of such girls. So... boy, I've been rambly... The Twilight books do not cause the issue of which I am speaking. But they certainly add much.

20. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I get what you mean with the books being a bad example of relationships, Twilight and the 50 shades series have both been really popular books in the last decade dedicated to a female perspective in modern relationships and what they desire. Twilight represents an effectively male controlling relationship because this teen girl falls in 'love' with him and is willing to die for him, whilst 50 shades is about a woman who is dominated by an abusive male because he gains pleasure from it.
    These types of books are not very well written, and they're are more of a simple read instead of a deep look into certain themes, which kind of makes them more 'dangerous' as you say. Without exploring it, the face value of it is that 'women fall in love with oppressive bastards' and that can transfer to impressionable guys and gals, and their empathy for the characters makes them experience similar feelings. Which is why you'll get girls cutting themselves in loss and desperation.
    It's not necessarily anyone's individual fault, but a combination of them, so banning the books wouldn't help, but I get where you're coming from. It's just being aware, like with films and games, that it's all fiction and shouldn't be taken completely seriously, and be aware if it's causing you to change.