10 unconventional / unpopular opinions that you have

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Styx, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

These are notorious but not sure how to order them.
    1. Anarchism (no rulers; absence of hierarchy) is both idealistic and worth striving toward.
    2. Moral judgments are relative. Nothing is right or wrong according to the universe. Humans create that weight.
    3. Free will does not exist (cannot exist). Every decision you make is due to factors outside of your control. It ultimately doesn't matter because it is still okay to criticize people. You still want what you want, and most people want to be liked and want to do well with others, and you can take advantage of that by pretending free will exists. The difference is understanding the difference being being angry because they could have made another choice and being angry because your anger sends a signal that will make them do what you want. One is an illusion that can lead to false conclusions like "If I hit them it will make them do better next time" while the other turns emotions into a strategic advantage.
    4. Justice is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about vengeance. "Doing your time", "getting yours", and so on are euphemisms used to mask sadistic pleasure at hurting someone else. Feeling like the books are balanced doesn't change state of the world. Killing a murderer does not always make the world a better place. Giving them a stable living environment, an education, and a chance at a productive job usually does. A murderer could become a nurse or a doctor and save lives, given the opportunity. That isn't justice. Some would say it is the opposite.
    5. People do not own their children. They aren't "your kids". You don't have a right to raise your child your way. Your child needs to be treated as a human being. If you can't do it to an adult, you can't do it a child. Children should be treated as people and allowed to learn in a natural way, not through violence and threats if they disobey.
    6. Invading foreign lands is always wrong. No exceptions.
    7. True knowledge of anything is impossible. Even if you knew all there was to know, you could not know that it was all there was to know. Therefore you should always have some doubt in every single thing you know and remain open to the possibility of alternatives for everything. Including that you are awake.
      As Skinner said, “The ultimate criterion for the goodness of a concept is not whether two people are brought into agreement but whether the scientist who uses the concept can operate successfully upon his material—all by himself if need be.” If you have a hallucination that no one else can see, and it cuts off your hand, and from then on you feel pain and can't use your hand -- it doesn't matter what others have to say about it. You lost your hand. If you live in an alternate reality from others, you have to work with the rules of the reality you see, others be damned.
    8. There is nothing wrong with being selfish if you are honest with yourself. It is impossible to act in an unselfish way. You do everything because you want to do it, or at least prefer it to the alternatives. Even acts of altruism are done to feel good about yourself and to feel that the world you live in is a better place. If you understand that we are just a bunch of selfish people warring for our own ideals, it becomes easier to seek your desires in an efficient manner instead of worrying if you have pure motivations. They don't exist.
    9. Faith is abhorrent. Faith leads to weakness and making weak decisions because it is easier to rely on something else than better yourself. If I could weed out one trait in all humanity, faith would be that trait. Let the doubt creep in. Nothing makes people smarter like thinking of the possibilities.
    10. If human nature cannot be changed by social forces, then eugenics is acceptable to counteract the terrible trend toward complacency and conservatism.

2. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

1. Children are annoying, not cute.
    2. Nihilism makes sense and really puts the mind at ease when nothing matters to you.
    3. Less parents = less overpopulation and less kids suffering from 'adults' who have no idea what they're doing.
    I can do 3 but past that is nitpicking

3. 61 No. B

Turn A Gundam is boring

4. C This silence is mine

If you steal anything it should be punished by getting your hands chopped off
    A woman or girl who alleges rape without producing 4 male witnesses should be guilty of adultery
    A woman or girl found guilty of adultery should be punishable by death
    A man convicted of rape should be able to get his conviction dismissed by marrying his victim
    A man should be able to unilaterally divorce his wife; a wife should need her husband's consent to divorce
    Meat to eat must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah
    A divorced wife loses custody of all children over 6 years of age or when they exceed it
    A woman's testimony in court, allowed in property cases, carries ½ the weight of a man's.
    A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits
    A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.

5. Jube Formerly Chuck's

"Oh boy here we go, it's Jube and Chris and B and the rest of the goonies in the Discord chat here to rile things up again"
    Well you're not wrong my Kingdom Hearts hating tumblr browsing friendo, but unlike the idiots above me I am here for more noble reasons.
    See rather than post an unpopular opinion or just something inflammatory to get some obvious posts and or deletes I am instead going to make a post about all the good things that have come from the Chinese Triads operating publically in China.

One might wonder "Doesn't the police care? The Government? They are just parading around the streets in uniform".

Well the Chinese leave Honk Kong alone. They barricade the roads to control trade to the mainland but they know how business is done.

"But doesn't the illegal smuggling worry the Chinese govment?"

Well China knows that the Red Arrow are business owners, entrepreneurs, community leaders. They keep the citizens safe and protect from outside influence.

"Outside influences? What is China afraid of"

Well you see China is the last sovereign government in the world. Free from the UN's influence they are authoritarian but willing. They give their people the freedom they want. It's real freedom. Freedom to own property, make a profit, make your life. The west so afraid of strong government now has NO government. Only financial power.

"But hold on Jube, our governments have limited power by design"

All rhetoric my aposematistic friend. Ever wonder where those slogans come from? Well paid researchers! Think tanks as they are called, funded by big businesses.

"Come on Jube, that's hardly as sinister as some dictator like China's premier"

No way man! It's privately funded propaganda, the trilateral commission in the USA for instance.

"But Jube, the separation of powers acknowledges the petty ambitions of individuals. That's its strength"

To which I say, a system organized around the weakest qualities of its individuals will produce the same qualities in its leaders

"But Jube, maybe these qualities are just an inherent part of human nature"

The mark of an educated man is the supression of said qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true for civilization

"Jube what the **** is this ****?"

Look it was either this or I do another Madara Uchiwawa pasta. Which I will do anyway.

6. Trigger hewwo uwu

Poor people should not have kids.

It's selfish to bring another human being into the world knowing that you cannot give that human the greatest chance possible to survive. Bringing your newborn child to a low income neighborhood exposes that child to a potentially harmful environment. Not being able to afford the best quality food possible puts that child at risk of developing health problems. If you can't put that child in the best educational institutions possible you are setting that child up to fail.

This is not to **** on people who couldn't do anything about they're situations. But I personally know people who are excited to have kids. And I feel these people don't know what it really means to raise a child. And I find the obsession with child birthing a little weird.

I should add that I am not trying to shame poor people. I believe in combating poverty. And I believe women should ultimately decide if they want kids or not. I support making contraceptives more accessible for everyone.

My proposed solution is easier access to contraceptives. And as a society we should move on from traditional views about women being expected to have and raise as many kids as possible.