Kingdom Hearts II Abilities' MP Cost

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Amaury, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

A lot of support attack abilities by the individual world allies (e.g., Auron's Healing Water) cost 99 MP to use.

Two questions:
    1. Why didn't they just make them cost all MP like they did with Sora's Cure and Donald's Donald Cure?
    2. If they're at full MP, why are they able to use them twice? Because 100 minus 99 equals one, which wouldn't be enough for another.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Arch Mana Knight

It's probably for the explicit purpose of making their MP gauge recharge after the use of another ability(unless items are used). It's probably to make them marginally more useful because allies in KH generally aren't good for anything aside from being pack mules for potions and ethers.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

They can probably use them twice because MP costs in KH2 represent a toll rather than a requirement. It doesn't really matter how much you have, so long as you have 1; but if you have more than enough, you know how much you'll have left.

4. Explode Who?!

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a replacement for turning off MP charge for magic abilities. I do that all the time so I can use attack magic (basically) all I want, but then still have at least 1 MP left over to cure.

Giving you the option to disable MP charge for your allies' moves would complicate things too much, and if you're really on top of your healing, then after a while the ally would be stuck with low MP and wouldn't be able to do any powerful attacks that require MP. They would have to heal before their MP would start recharging again.

So basically it lets your allies be a little more useful. They can heal, and then still have enough MP to use another one of their techniques (or just heal again) before having to recharge. It would be boring if they were just your healing slaves (though you can still set their behavior to do that if you want).

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

This makes a lot of sense, but if that's the case, why do Healing Water (Auron), Healing Herb (Simba), and Cure Potion (Riku) cost 99 MP while Donald Cure (Donald) costs all MP (or all remaining MP)?

Also, they're not slaves, they're friends. :p

6. Explode Who?!

Not entirely sure. Maybe since he's always with you by default, it would be too good. Like, you could exploit it more easily with tough/secret bosses, by setting his behavior so he only heals you, so you get two heals out of him per recharge. I guess it also kind of incentivizes you to use the world-specific party members by making them a little better. It's a trade off for not being able to use that ally's drive form.

If you insist :P

7. A Zebra Chaser

it's pretty much exactly this. Donald and Goofy are the most fleshed out party members, so world specific party member are incentivised through other handy or rare abilities, like Lucky Lucky

8. Labrys King's Apprentice

Perhaps there is some cut to this, perhaps they use the 1 mp as an emergency when the ability is needed.