Support Adblock seems to have slowed down my system, why?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by John Domelo, May 3, 2014.

1. John Domelo Moogle Assistant

I have recently started using adblock internet explorer and adblock plus chrome extensions, but I found that they have slowed down my system. Is there any specific reason that beside blocking ads, these pop up blockers also slow down system speed?

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

No issues here.

Do you have any other add-ons installed?

3. Misty gimme kiss

I don't know enough about how they work to explain why but any add on will slow down your browser and, from what I understand, Adblock is one of the more guilty add ons there. If a site you visit often has unbearable ads then you can leave it installed but if it's really slowing things down then uninstall it.

4. kingdomheartsgeek Traverse Town Homebody

Like amaury says how many addons do you have installed.

5. John Domelo Moogle Assistant

Nope, not other than the ones I mentioned in my first post.[DOUBLEPOST=1399236140][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yeah, that's what I am worried for. I want to retain those add-ons, but due to them slowing down my system speed, I am getting pissed off :([DOUBLEPOST=1399236208][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Are you talking about the ad blocker add-ons or other than that too?

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Pretty much this. Every add-on is asking the browser to do that one more thing before it shows the page to you. Ad blockers need to look at every address used on the page and go "is this an ad?" by comparing it to a known list. So even a page without ads will be slow as the add-on makes sure of that. How costly that ends up being varies from computer to computer. It sounds like for you the use of add-ons ends up being pretty costly so you end up needing to ask more if an add on is worth it.

And just to be clear when you say system speed, is this only in the browser or has it made everything slower? Because that second one really shouldn't be happening.