Support Solved Advice for buying a headset

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Midnight Star, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight Star Master of Physics

So I've just been through my forth(?) headset and I need to buy a new one. I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice on what would be a good one.

Requirements:
    • Sturdy and hard to break, I actually want this one to last me
    • Over your ears instead of ear buds
    • Decent microphone quality (I don't want to ear rape people)
    • Decent sound quality
    • £40 or below (According to google, that's $67)
    • For use on a laptop

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I was going to recommend Turtle Beach or Astros, but since you need Cheap, you can get a pretty decent Logitech headset for around $40. That's what mine are anyways.
    This is about what I have.

3. Misty gimme kiss

We'll need to know what systems you're intending to use it on, that goes into the consideration. Headsets do tend to be rather breakable though. I had a good experiences with my Turtle Beach P11s, and they are within your price range, but I was also rather gentle on them so I can't speak for durability.

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

My first set of Astro A40's lasted me a good 2-3 years and to be honest I could have probably kept them for a little bit longer, but I decided to get a pair of A50's. I have yet to have any problems with any pair of Astros I have used so far.

Turtle Beach however I have had some issues with in the past in terms of quality, durability, etc.

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Thanks for the replies, I'll check them all out.

I'm mainly just going to be using it for general use when I'm on the computer, skype chats, possibly chorus, and I might end up using to record myself for job purposes. I'll should add usable on a laptop as a requirement. Nothing too intensive, I'm not going to be gaming on it, which is why I'm not spending hundreds but I want something decent that won't break too easily.

EDIT: So for me personally the Astros seem a little too expensive for me for just casual use. Plus I'm not always the most careful with my headsets so I'm a tad scared of spending that much and break them. The turtle beach's look interesting and they're in my price range so I'll have have a closer look at them and see. Also want to find out the box of my current ones as when I saw them online they had a warranty. They were a present though so I don't actually know if I have one.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

If you plan on recording yourself for anything serious I would suggest using a USB mic. A USB mic isn't the "best option", but it beats a headset in terms of quality and it isn't as expensive as anything of studio quality.

7. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'd not actually considered that as I've never really used a separate microphone before, I have no idea what I'm doing with them. Hmm, I'll have to check that out, thanks for the links.

EDIT: So I checked out your links and Blue Yeti seemed to be most recommended, $100 on American Amazon so that should be about £60 which is reasonable. So check the same thing on UK Amazon: £90. Not impressed. (That's like $150)

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

USB microphones aren't that difficult to work with, just plug in and record for the most part (some drivers may need to be installed but that will probably happen automatically anyways). As for the price, you are getting what you pay for. To me I'd rather save up and wait a little bit longer for that quality (that the Yeti will deliver) but I don't know your situation with money so take my advice with a grain of salt. Do what is best for you.

9. Midnight Star Master of Physics

My situation with money is I don't have a job but I get a decent student loan so I have money and I can afford that (though my loan's got to last me the holidays/until October at least), but to me that still seems expensive when it's current use right now would mainly be skype chats. So I think I might wait on that, see if anything does happen that requires me to record and I might get something cheaper just to put me on.

10. Misty gimme kiss

The Snowball and the Snowball iCE will deliver similar quality to the Yeti at a lower price. I have one, would recommend it. It's also not as bulky as the Yeti which is nice. The stand it comes with is adequate and pretty sturdy, I bought a separate boom arm and a pop filter but those aren't mandatory (but I recommend a pop filter).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.