Age Of Pregnancy A Problem?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Peace and War, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

This is proof that it is still possible to have a child when you are atarting puberty, when the Semen and Ovaries are able to be produced in the body

Thats only because of todays society, we have to go to school, do examinations and the 'blah, blah, blah.' If we didn't have to do all that and instead learn how to take care of a child then it would not be a problem.

The parent wil die one day, it just depends at what point.

2. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Hmm if we are to look at the debate from an ethical point of view....

At 12 years old the parents (or in the very least the mother's case for this...in the chance that the father might be older or something), psychologically she wouldn't be able to do a very good job by today's standards. And considering that 18ish is around the age where the majority "grow up" beyond an egocentric stage of their lives, that is why it is "better".

Side-Note: Most children at ages 12 don't have the responsiblity, maturity or...for lack of a better description, the selflessness to take care of someone beyond themselves. This of course is not taking into account the positives (the more charitable 12 year olds) or the negatives (the more selfish and possibly destructive 12 year olds).

Another thing that might contribute to this, and that it would be "bad" socially and psychologically for 12 year olds to have children in this day and age is because we have bumped up the age for whatever reasons. So the 12 year olds might not be able to understand the impact or reasons why they suddenly have a child (you can try to explain it but its all up to their rather undevoloped cognitivity on how they will interpret it).

And this doesn't even begin to touch on whether or not they have the capabilities to take care of the child. (Support around them, food, consitancy with the chlid's care- infants can be rather taxing even on adults, and 12 year olds usually haven't even reached the stage to even TRY being patient. As well as reasonable commitment to caring for the baby.)

Now as for the 50-60 year olds....well generally....people are well past their "prime" and are nearing their NATURAL expiration date. Having a child at this age socially could be negative in that the 50-60 year old could lose interest (depending on the personality) or tolerance (depending on how the previous decades of their life went) or just being socially out of tune when their child/ren are being assimilated into society (you know the "behind the times" parent). One must also consider if they had offspring prior to this. If they had, then they might try using a "tried and true", perhaps forceful method of rearing. If they haven't, then they might be very scattered in their raising of the child, doing more harm then help from wherever they may draw their guidelines from.

Anyway, to wrap this up....personally I see nothing "wrong" with either age having children, its not really my business unless I am the one directly involved- in which case I would go with the boring but proven to be safe norm- 30-40s for having kids.

3. orgXIIIfan King's Apprentice

But some girls get pregnant because they were raped.

4. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Studies have shown there to be a correlation between a woman's age and the probability of genetic defects, that being that as the age of a woman increases so does the chance that the child/children she carries will be born with genetic deficiencies. This is why you don't see many elderly couples still rearing children.

As for teens just hitting puberty, we need to face the fact that they are growing up in a world where they are learning about things like sex a lot faster. At puberty males and females are perfectly able to reproduce, all it comes down to is how they are raised and taught. Sex is good but teen pregnancy never is.

5. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Really? I thought the main reason old couples don't have children is because they simply can't. It's a rarity to find many fertile women among the elderly.

6. Repliku Chaser

I still want to see what benefits there are to a girl at 12 giving birth. It seems it is avoided. If it happens, oh well, and someone will take care of it but even in lesser developed countries, 12 year olds aren't taking care of kids. So if there's nothing wrong, someone tell me why it's not a 'bad' thing and something others are taking care of? I wouldn't want to regret any life that comes into happening, but in the end, those arguing 'for' children at 12 having a child because that's their choice, let's hear the positive things. Many people have listed why it's discouraged. Note that there is really nothing 'bad' that happens to a girl that would have a child at 12 legally.

So again, what good thing comes from this? Who takes care of the child? What is the quality of life you feel this child or the mom is going to have? If you say nothing is 'wrong' with it at all, show the good things.

7. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

For women it eventually becomes impossible because of menopause. But from anywhere up until that time they're still able to have children. The basics behind it concern the fact that we age because our genetic codes degrade.

8. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    Let's not forget that you're not supposed to have a baby until you have A HUSBAND!

9. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Then why do people have children when they aren't married?
    It is not an evident rebuttal.

10. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Not all people believe this. Let's not push our religious beliefs on others now.

11. Repliku Chaser

Who says? That is pushing religion into the debate and we are looking for rational reasons; not reasons because someone said no. There are couples who don't believe in marriage that raise kids, or single parents and they do just fine. However, if you want to debate that one, maybe it goes in a different thread since this is about pregnancy pertaining to 'age', not to marital status.

12. Thir13en King's Apprentice

The reason for pregnancies at such a young age is because teens want to have sex. It's almost impossible to turn on a TV or (sometimes) even playing videogames. Hormones rage = irrasional desicions.

Ok, I want to point out that I am not saying every teen is lusting after each other, hell, I am one. I'm just saying well...you know.

13. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I am Telling everyone READ THE QUESTION, I am asking WHY it is a problem to be pregnant at a young or old age. Not HOW it happens.

14. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I did hear once that a 12 year old had triplets or something and that would be too much responsiblity, I'm 12 and if that happened to me then I would go mad! From what I've seen, one baby when you're an adult is alot of hassle.

15. Thir13en King's Apprentice

ok, P&W.

For some reason it is wrong. Why? I don't know. It's like swear words, they're only words but for a reason it's bad to say them (I know they are insults).

I'm not sure exactly, but I have a feeling that people dislike it because they think its gross to have a baby at a young age. But, babies are born all the time. Whats the difference?

16. Repliku Chaser

I don't think most people think it's 'gross' as much as there are reasons as everyone has listed that are logical on why it is not beneficial for a 12 year old to have sex. There are probably some people that find it gross, or the 60+ woman having a baby even more weird and gross, but in the end, I still haven't seen any real reason to support saying it's just dandy for a 12 year old to have a kid, compared to the list of reasons against it.

17. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

I do believe 12 is too young but 50 is not too old, when your 12 u can't get a job, so you can't pay for it and the fact that it's last time you'll get freedom like that as high school takes over. In Australia, most states says the legal age is 16 so i believe that, but i also believe that you shud b 17 becuase you don't have school to worry about as in most states you leave when ur 17

18. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    Yeah think about how the parents feel when they have to take care of the baby

19. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I just think people think it would get in the way of school if you're young and if you are old and have one, you may not be around that much as the child grows.

20. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I understand that now a days, you could not take care of a child at that age but the Government wouldn't see it wrong if a mother who had no time to take of a child. But A child with (hopefully) responsible parents to help them.
    It just seems hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.