Anybody in there school Chorus?

Discussion in 'Music' started by LakuriSyaoran, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LakuriSyaoran Destiny Islands Resident

i am and i was wonderin if anybody else was. if so what have been your favorite songs?

mine:
    Sakura
    Elijah rock
    chumbara

2. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I went to a Performing Arts Academy from Grade 7-12. My major was Vocal so I was in choir for the years I was there.

Favourites:
    Woodriver
    Heaven's Light (composed by senior student)
    Little Lamb
    Freedom Trilogy (good song)
    Serenity
    Remember Me
    My Lovely Celia
    For the Longest Time
    Everlasting Arms
    She's Like The Sparrow

Hmm.. actually, I disliked very few that we did during those 6 years.

3. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

o0... you guys remember the songs you've sang?? I've been in chorus for five years... I don't remember most of the one's from middle school but... I know I hated the following: Fever, and Popular

These songs were from the Variety show we did, that's why they're all broadways. We did Phantom of the Opera too. I liked those one's of course. Our choreography was pretty good too, but... eh, I don't think we nailed it at all... >.>

Pie Jesu is a pretty song. We sang that for our Spring Concert; and Why Does The Willow Weep as our closer. -_-' It was embarassing because I found my mom in the auditorium and she was bawling. >.>'''

4. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Why Does the Willow Weep is an awesome song. Good choice.

My dad taped one of the Kiwani Music Competitions I did during my Senior year in High School. I'll see if I can upload it and post it here.

5. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

That's an great idea. I'm looking forward to it.

6. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Youtube murders the audio quality, so I decided to just upload them to Filefront.

Download them if you think the bandwidth is worth it. XD

Little Lamb - First Piece
    Ajudication Part 1
    Ajudication Part 2

The Ajudication was done by Mr. Brawfed Helpson, who has his Masters in Choral Singing who's traveled up and down the East Coast. I forgot the university he got it from, and my dad didn't record his introduction.

Also, you'll notice in the Ajudication that he critiques a piece called "Go Where I Send Thee". It was a Gospel Spiritual that I didn't bother uploading due to time, so I just left it at one piece. Just ignore that commentary if you wish.

See if you can guess which one I am. *kekeke*

Below are some clips from two solos I had to do for extra credit, recorded at school sometime in October 2006. These aren't the full solos, but a demo recording that was required. Again, download if you want--I don't care either way.

Excerpt from Aladdin (Acapella) - A little tuning issues every so often. I didn't warm up that morning.
    Fields of Hope - Gundam Seed Destiny (Acapella) - XD While I can read and write Japanese somewhat well, my Japanese singing is horrible. I think it's the classical training in me; I have a hard time changing my vowel formations. So I'm not particularly pleased with my vowels in this.

7. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I was in my primary school choir for about 4 years, but that was 6 years ago... i can't remember any of the songs we sang. I only remember the Christmas songs but they were just jazzed up versions of the usual traditional songs.
    Although i do remember some of the song's my class sang but i only remember the name of one, "Three Wee Craws". It's weird i remeber the words to the songs but not the names. :o

8. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

I watched Little Lamb. Hands down you guys got superiors. The annunciation was sort of muffled but that's probably the video's fault.

Extra credit songs? Wow, you over acheiver you. =]

and eh, Japanese is sort of second nature to me. A lot of their vowels are the same as spanish. Makes singing easier too, bwah haha, I'm used to it times two.

... and 10 bucks says you're the guy that your dad firsts zooms up to.

9. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Japanese vowels are the same as my native language as well (Filipino/Tagalog), and actually their vowels are the same as classical (which follows Latin/Italian), but it's the vowel production that is very different from classical singing. Japanese singing uses spread vowels, making wide sounds, something classical training actually frowns upon. =\

By nature my 'a' sound is textbook classical: north-south in the mouth, raised soft/hard palette, tongue tucked at the bottom of the mouth, straight out of Latin. But the Japanese 'a' vocally is so.. grr... more east-west on the mouth, lower hard palette, tongue is wider and closer to the front of the mouth... it's kinda hilarious cause I have to think classical then completely break all the conventional rules.

The bigger, more fundamental difference between Japanese singing and classical singing is hands down the resonance. Japanese singing has virtually no structure for resonance, and there's practically no head-voice. I have a hard time unlearning that.

And you're right on the zoom, but now am I the guy on the left? Or on the right? ;D

10. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

Yah, I know what you mean. My friend is Viet (she's got an account somewhere around here xD) and she's got some really tricky vowels.

And yes, that sounds like such a fickle thing.

and you are diffinitely the asian d00d. ;D

11. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Both of those guys are asian actually. *kekeke*

Well, one of them is half asian. If you guessed the shortest guy in the front row, then yeah, you win. ._.

12. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

*gasp of shock*

._.' I thought you were the tall asian in the front. XD

13. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Aha! That would be my friend Matthew. And he's half filipino, half Dutch. XDD

14. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

What a combination. 0.0

Staying on topic:
    ... How do you get a major in chorus? Is there something special you have to do? :confused:

15. Soushirei 運命の欠片

It's how my high school worked. The name is/was Cardinal Carter Academy for the Performing Arts.

Unlike most other high schools, this institution is a Performing Arts driven, audition-based school, and essentially every student who attends the Academy got accepted for having exceptional talent in one of these areas:

- Drama
    - Vocal
    - Band (Brass and Woodwinds)
    - Strings
    - Dance (mostly contemporary and Ballet; there's no hip-hop, although many of these students can do hip-hop, tap, Irish, etc)
    - Visual Arts (Painting, Sculpting, Sketching, etc).

You apply for one of these Arts Areas and do an audition. If you're accepted, you're officially a <Arts Specialty> major when you start going there the following September.

Basically from there, you take regular high school subjects, but above that, you take courses that have to do with your Arts area as well.

So I was a "Vocal Major" from Grade 7 to Grade 12. It was also required that every student who attends Cardinal Carter keep a certain average in their Arts area to stay in the school. If you don't meet this minimum average (or fail the course), you kinda... get kicked out of the school. XD

People got kicked out of the school all the time when I was still going there. I remember I'd step into Senior Choir rehearsal and some of the people I saw last rehearsal weren't there anymore and never came again. XD. Although, sometimes it was just that they were moved to another choir. The Head Conductor evaluates each Vocalist and depending on their skill level, they'll be moved up to Intermediate Choir or Senior Choir.

16. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

Wow, ok. Thanks for the information. I'll check in with my school to see how things work.

17. LakuriSyaoran Destiny Islands Resident

y do i get the feeling everybody is older than me............

18. Jordier0xs0x King's Apprentice

We sing different songs each month so i dont think i can remember all of them
    But i do remember my Favorites....

Rhythm of Life,
    Annual Thing,
    (I cant think...Umm...)
    Colours of the Wind
    And....
    South Geelong is Rocking! (Dont ask :D )

19. Linha Merlin's Housekeeper

i've been in the chorus for half a year. well i joined it because of the next two years, gotta collect good grades for school-leaving examination. ^^''
    so what i like
    some songs of the movie "les choristes" (don't know the english title..) : vois sur ton chemin, cerf-volant, caresse sur l'ocean
    scarborough fair xD
    maybe the list will get longer :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.