Ask me about my D&D bard

Discussion in 'Workshops & Recreation' started by . : tale_wind, Jul 17, 2017.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I'm working on creating a bard for whenever I finally get around to actually playing a game of D&D, so ask me questions about him so I can better get to know his character.

2. Fearless A good and beautiful child

What's his favorite dessert?
    How many sisters does he have?
    Who's his favorite author?
    What color is his hair?

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

1. Probably a really nice chocolate pudding.
    2. None.
    3. He doesn't read many books, but there was this really good epic romance he found left in a tavern once; he's been hoping to run across more like it since.
    4. Black. He keeps it shaved pretty close to his scalp.

4. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

1. Does he have a catchphrase?
    2. What does he value above all else?
    3. What was the name of his first childhood pet?
    4. Hogwarts House. XD

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

1. Nope. He's actually mute.
    2. Security and love. The order varies with his mood and situation.
    3. He never had one, sadly. :c
    4. Probably Hufflepuff.

6. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Oooh I'm currently playing a bard in my D&D campaign (5e). It's fun.

What is your name and race?
    How old are you?
    What is your favourite instrument?
    Do any of your instruments have any sentimental value to you?
    Why do you like to play/perform?
    Would you perform just for fun or for anyone or does there have to be a specific reason for you to play? Are you selective about who you perform for?
    Do you worship any gods?
    Do you prefer to be the one dealing damage in fights or would you rather just support your teammates?
    What is your best insult? (Prepare some good ones if you have Vicious Mockery)

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

1. Othamian, human.
    2. Roughly 21.
    3. Either his lute or his ocarina; it depends on the day.
    4. His lute was a gift from his parents, and his ocarina was the first thing he bought with his own money earned from performing.
    5. He just really loves music. The attention isn't so bad, either.
    6. For fun! He's not picky about audiences as long as they're responsive (and as long as they pay).
    7. Not really.
    8. He's more likely to play support.
    9. Since he's mute, he can't really do insults anymore which is one of the more devastating parts of being mute because he is really witty, or at least he thinks he is. As far as Vicious Mockery or Cutting Words go, he settles for playing mocking tunes on his ocarina--or, when pressed into a corner, just blowing full-force into it like an eight-year-old who's been handed a recorder for the first time.

8. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

"Anymore?" How old was he when he went mute, and why?

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Aha, I was wondering if someone would pick up on that~

He was about nineteen or so when it happened. He left home at eighteen to pursue being a traveling performer with his lute and his singing. He was pretty good, and was making a small name for himself in some areas. One night, he stumbled upon a young wizard performing a spectacle of lights and effects, and was entranced by the magic and its performer. He approached the wizard after the show with an idea for them to combine their talents for a show the likes of which hadn't been seen. Long story short, the wizard agreed, they made a plan, and when they held their first performance, it was a wild success. Riding that high, the two started a whirlwind romance together. They continued traveling and performing together for a while. But eventually, the wizard came to realize that his magic wasn't holding audiences' attentions nearly as much as Othamian's singing was. "...Well okay," he decided. "I'll just have to work on my set, come up with some new tricks." And he did. But no matter what he did or tried, the music was still easily the star of the show. The wizard let his bitterness and envy fester and simmer until after a performance one night when it finally exploded into an argument. As the fight wore on, both sides grew more and more vicious and angry until the wizard finally snapped and, with hands wreathed in flames, seized Othamian by the neck and started squeezing. In a flash of clarity through the pain and terror, Othamian managed to fish out the knife he kept for self-defense just in case (though he'd never had to use it before then) and slice at the wizard's hands, allowing him to escape, but not before his throat had suffered permanent damage. As soon as he was free he ran, continuing through the night until he dropped. He only realized the damage when he next awoke, and for months searched for any temple or cleric or doctor he could find, but the damage was too severe to reverse. To this day he wears a scarf to hide the burn scars--it helps him avoid questions, avoid being reminded of what happened, and avoid gossip spreading around of a musician with burns on his neck, in case the wizard is still looking for him.

10. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Will Othamian and the wizard be bitter rivals for the rest of their lives, or are they destined to reconcile and become BFF's? XD

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Ohoho, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;3c

It's definitely safe to say that BFFs is for sure off the table, though. If the argument had ended before it got violent, there'd certainly be a chance for that, but, well, things happening as they did... You don't exactly get to physically and psychologically traumatize someone and expect everything to turn out hunky-dory.

12. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

That's fair. XD

13. Midnight Star Master of Physics

So I take it you are going to go lore bard since you mentioned cutting words? (I did too)

Did you have a good childhood?
    What are you scared of?
    What do you value most?
    Are there any races you aren't keen on? (any that make you feel uncomfortable or you've had bad experiences with)
    Are you good at persuading people? (Both in and out of character, the lvl 5 bard I play has +10 to persuasion but as a player I'm rubbish at thinking of arguments to persuade people with).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

1. okay i WAS dead set on the college of lore since the only other option in the phb was. not what i wanted. but THEN I discovered that the college of glamour is a thing and now i'm TORN
    2. His childhood was pretty good. He had a bit of a rivalry with his older brother.
    3. Running into his ex. Fire.
    4. Answered!
    5. He finds goliaths and dragonborn pretty intimidating.
    6. Persuasion is a little harder without speaking, but he makes up for it where he can (e.g. his puppy dog eyes). (We'll see as far as the RP aspect goes since I have yet to play him.)

15. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

What is his spirit animal?
    What would his favorite TV show be if he were alive today? XD
    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Night owl or Early bird?
    What is his biggest pet peeve?
    What is his biggest (serious) weakness? I.E. pride, anger, fear?
    What is his biggest (silly) weakness? I.E. He simply cannot fight right now bc omg there are sweets over there and he has to have one right now IS THAT STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE?! XD