Belgium removes age limit for euthanasia

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Styx, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Styx That's me inside your head.

I'm surprised by how big this is. The news reached all the way to CNN because we're apparently the first country who does this (The Netherlands still has an age limit of 12...pansies).
    High-fives all around?

Source

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I've never really considered any one but adults to 'need' euthanasia. Most kids don't have a choice because their parents are still legal guardians over them.
    Don't know how to feel on this. I do agree kids have no real idea about their lives, and the biggest destruction to hope of a normal life is a life filled with pain. That's why teen suicides are so common, because their future ideas are a distorted mess of pain, hardship and sadness and why would they want to live more of a life like that? I suppose it's another case by case thing for me.
    I don't like the idea, but I suppose I would fight against it.

3. Styx That's me inside your head.

Parental approval is indeed still a requirement for the procedure to even be considered.

Then you can't really be against the bill, because euthanasia is always a case-by-case decision. The age restriction being removed doesn't mean that all new requests will be approved (far from it). It just allows these new requests to be made.

4. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I get that, it just feels somehow strange to allow someone to choose to die at a young age than allow them to drink, smoke, have sex, join the army and so on at a young age. It seems as if it take the choice of death less seriously.
    Hypocritical. I think is what i'm trying to say. Because in some cases you can justify underage sex, or lying about your age to join the army. But those actions are generalised. But when it comes to a euthanasia, something you can not come back from unlike my other examples, you are considered to be a special case. It feels somehow irresponsible, hypocritical and foolish.

I'm not against it or for it. I think it's up to the citizens to decide for themselves, and I'll go along for the ride either way. Unless I develop a strong opinion about either side of the argument.

5. Styx That's me inside your head.

On the contrary, I think giving the child itself a say in this is telling about how seriously we take death. You don't get to chug vodka when you're 8, there'll be time for that later. You want to join the army? In a few years' time son, if you're still up for it. These kids are suffering though, without any real hope for betterment. Better get to work on that! Do you see why this possibility to act quickly acknowledges how death and suffering are very serious issues? I hope you do, because I myself find this hard to explain. That's not even going into justifications by the way.

And like I said, the child can't make the call by itself. Other than the parents, a team consisting of the medical personnel treating the child, two (I think) independent doctors and a children's psyciatrist have to give their A-OK. That's quite an entourage. We have as little faith in sick kids' maturity as you do.

6. Sara Tea Drinker

I honestly see this as a good thing. If a child is dying and in severe pain and KNOWING that they won't life, they should have the choice to die in peace instead of dying slowly and painfully.

I know why people are so paranoid about kids making their own decisions, but it bugs me so much that they have so many people deciding to do this to a child. All doctors throw in their biases, and if one says: "No, the kid won't be euthanized." Due to the fact he/she doesn't believe that and the child suffers a slow and painful death against their wishes it's kinda cruel.

Women have the same issues when it comes to a lot of medical decisions when it comes to not having children. A doctor in my state can still refuse doing a procedure on a woman to make sure she never gets pregnant even if the woman is a full grown adult, severely disabled and never wants children. Trust me, I asked because my family has a severe history of medical issues and pregnancies, my mom nearly died carrying me and my bro. I was refused because they said I needed either two kids, be 35 years old, or have a medical condition that will kill the person.

7. Jin うごかないで

This isn't a good idea..honestly. because in all honesty teenagers will honestly do stupid things with this type of law. Due to R.E lessons towards the end of my final year at highschool it did sort of pull me towards accepting euthanasia to a certain extent. as a legal process I mean if it's serious and terminal and you really have lost all faith to stay alive then i'd say it's acceptable. Or if and this is extreme, if you're very depressed. But teenagers might take advantage of this type of law. I'm not saying anything like this will happen but I believe looking at it as a whole many teenagers might start to abuse this type of law. But I don't know the specifics or rules within the law like certain conditions to have euthanasia acceptable or anything.

8. Plums Wakanda Forever

Well, according to the article Styx linked, the bill only applies to children who've been deemed terminally ill by care professionals; it does not apply to the general populace at large. If for whatever reason down the line euthanasia does begin to become an option available for the general populace, then I do agree with your concerns in potential abuse. But as for here and now, props to Belgium for it.

9. Styx That's me inside your head.

If you think your average teenager can hoodwink both his parents and a team of experts, think again.

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I suppose the chance of this law being abused is minimal with that many people's consent needed. It just sits somehow wrong in me. I know there are virtuous benefits and i suppose that's why i'm sort of ambivalent towards it, don't mind if we have it or not, because it's pulling me in both directions.

I've known of a few adults with cancer or terminal illnesses and they've done the drink, the drugs, the sex, the once in a lifetime sort of things. Both groups can choose to die, but only one can legally do more with the time they have left than the other. I suppose it just makes me feel that they haven't the chance to live a bit more of a full life. Which I wish they could have. It's emotional more than logical, but euthanasia isn't something that should be taken as strictly logical.