Support Best Router to get?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Heart ❤, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

So I have a netgear router that's a piece of **** that randomly keeps disconnecting me. Don't ask me why it does that because I have no ****ing idea. I just got it in June too and I REALLY don't know why its' not working. So does anyone know of a better router to get. Any help would be nice, please and thank you

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Any specific reason you don't hook up directly to your modem?

3. Sara Tea Drinker

I actually got the same Router and am running into the same problems.

As for why I don't use a direct cable, I use it in my room while my modem is downstairs and I use it upstairs in my room which is good only with a 30 foot ethernet cable because of the way the house is made, I don't have good signals anywhere else except a small area of the kitchen and I like being in my room.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

We also use a router -- it's a Belkin -- which, sadly, also causes problems for us, as there are days where our modem will constantly reset itself, and it's the router making it do that. However, we don't have a choice, just like you, because Charter Communications' modems only come with one USB plugin, unlike Fairpoint Communications' modems, which come with four USB plugins.

5. Sara Tea Drinker

I used Belkin, but the biggest problem I had it died every two years. The last one I had died in a year and a half. Hence the reason why I switched to NetGear, glad to hear it's not me.

Btw... You can get your own modem. That's what happened to me with my own modem when there was massive problems with the company because of a merger and the old one crashed. They refused to get me a new one and the one they gave me never worked properly. So I went and bought myself a router and modem.

6. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I have no idea how to answer any of these questions because I didn't set it up. My mom's friend set it up. I'm not very technology friendly....

7. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I've had a Linksys router in my apartment for the past 5 years, and it's still working fine.

8. Misty gimme kiss

Random disconnects may or may not be related to your router. If you have more than one computer connecting wirelessly in your house, is it happening to all computers, or just one? How is your signal reception where you typically use your computer? If you sit very close to the router (in the same room), surf the internet as usual, do you get the same problem?

I know these are annoying questions to answer but you should troubleshoot whether the problem exists with the router or with the computer before spending any money.

Otherwise, there is no way to really say what the best router is, just like you can't really say what the best computer is. There are a few things you need to consider.
    1. First, can you get the model name/number of your current router?
    2. Who is your ISP?
    3. How many devices in your home (if any) are wired directly to the router?
    4. How many devices in your home (if any) connect wirelessly?
    5. Where is your router located? I'll also need some information regarding your house, e.g. my house is two stories, the router is on the first floor towards the front of the house.
    6. How much are you looking/willing to spend?
    I took two years worth of Cisco networking classes so I can definitely help you out. I just want to make sure you're getting a solid device that will last you a long time.

9. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

*hugs Misty*

I only have one desktop computer. The signal is 3 bars and it's in the same room

First, can you get the model name/number of your current router?
    Okay The Router model is WNR2000v4

Who is your ISP?
    What does this mean? I'm kinda clueless

How many devices in your home (if any) are wired directly to the router?
    I don't know if any are?

How many devices in your home (if any) connect wirelessly?
    My desktop, labtop, ipod, nook, and uncle's kindle (on a probably every dayish) Sometimes my ps 3 or a friends decvice connects to the wifi. They aren't all used at the same time though

Where is your router located? I'll also need some information regarding your house, e.g. my house is two stories, the router is on the first floor towards the front of the house.
    Mine is on the first floor next to my computer in the front of the house

How much are you looking/willing to spend?
    I'm not really sure but a friend told me Linksys was the best router? I'm not sure how much routers are so yeah.

Thanks for everything.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Your Internet service provider.

11. Sara Tea Drinker

That means if there's any computers connected directly to your modem, aka: The device that brings you your Internet from your Internet Service Provider, or the device (router) that allows you to get wireless connection, there are cables that you can connect directly to your computer with some modems. Which is the fastest way to get the Internet, from what I heard.

Routers range from 25 to a hundred bucks, depending on the router.

Modems go for more, usually from what I remember.

I also did a live stream on my router which I connected directly to it for several hours without any problems. So I know it most likely is a wireless problem.

12. Misty gimme kiss

Is there any reason you're not using a wired connection to connect to the router if it's in the same room? Wirreless does seem appealing but if it's a desktop and the router is nearby, a wired connection will be a lot more stable and faster to boot.
    It's just your internet service provider--like Verizon, Bellsouth, Cablevision, etc. I only ask because Verizon is really picky about routers, they only let you use theirs, but your current one looks like a generic router so you'll be free to replace it.
    If you don't think there are any there probably aren't, but if you want to make sure, check the back of the router. It'd look like this. The orange ports (switch ports, if you're curious) are used to connect devices in your home to the router (the yellow Internet port isn't, it goes to your modem). If there are any cables coming from an orange port in your router, that means there are devices connected via an Ethernet cable to your router.
    Do all of them have issues with the connection dropping?
    Linksys is definitely a good company for routers. They're owned by Cisco, which is the major manufacturer of networking products around the world. They supply something like 90% of the world's networking equipment (though that number is largely influenced by their commercial products--consumer products are more varied), but there is more out there. Sara was right that routers start at around $25, and go all the way into the hundreds. It doesn't sound like you need anything fancy, though, so if you do replace I'd say it'd be in the $40 to $50 range (though depending on sales, you might be able to go lower).

Is there a tech store nearby that you'd go to? I assume Best Buy but if there are others (like Office Max, Staples, etc.) do let me know. Also how do you feel about ordering online?
    Just asking so I can look at available models near you. If you like online shopping I'll also price hunt around and make sure you get the best deal.

13. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

Have you tried changing the channel on which the router picks up/sends its WIFI signal from, sometimes there is too much traffic on that channel and a simple swap could really help the signal?

14. Sara Tea Drinker

****ing hell...

I forgot about that, such a dumbass. Does anyone know where the Channel change is on a NetGear control panel? I can't seem to find it.

15. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

I had a program that did it all, and i cant for the life of me remember what it was called :( sorry, im sure a quick google could help :)

16. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Okay I have no idea why it's not a wired connection because I didn't set this up/ wasn't in the room when my mom's friend set it up.

My ISP is Cablevision. My mom thinks they might have something to do with why it keeps disconnecting but I don't think it does?

Okay so there's one cable in the orange port but I'm not sure what it's connecting...

Only my computer (desktop) keeps dropping all other devices are fine.

If I got a new Router I'd probably go to Best Buy since there's a huge mall center right in my town (pretty sure you know what town I'm in Misty XD)
    I'd rather not order online and would rather just go to the store.

Thanks Misty <3

I have no idea what this means.

Thanks so everyone helping me out- I'm really grateful.

If all else fails I'll ask my friend Luca ( my computer guy and good friend ) at school on Thursday to come and take a look at it.

17. Misty gimme kiss

Then I think it might be an issue with the desktop more than the router. My advice would be to change it to a wired connection (which is far more reliable) and see if things are more stable. If you continue to get dropped connections etc., then it's time to try replacing the router or contacting Cablevision. If it works just fine then you'll save money & headache.

What you'll need is an Ethernet cable long enough to reach from the switch ports on the back of the router to your desktop--it shouldn't be too expensive. Just make sure you measure the distance, if you're really not sure then just buy one longer than what you need. Best Buy does overcharge for cables but if you want it instantly, it's not too bad for a short one from Best Buy (looking at a 3 foot one for $13.99 or a 6 foot one for $18.99). You can get them from Amazon for really cheap (under $10), but if you don't want to wait for shipping then no biggie.

Don't bother looking for a brand name one or anything, the salespeople will try to sell you one but a cheap Dynex one will be just fine. The whole high quality cable thing is fairly bullshit.

18. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Thanks so much Misty I'm going to tell my mom what you said and see if she'll change it. Hopefully she will.
    Also it didn't drop at all today so I'm guessing that's a good thing? Wooot