Best RPG party?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Splodge, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

I want to know what you think is the RPG with the best playable party. This is the playable party, so no strictly AI controlled units, so for example, Donald and Goofy are out, but in games where you get to select who you play are acceptable, as you can still control all the characters. For me it is boiled down to two games, Persona 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like Persona 4's cast because they just act like you would expect a group teenagers to act. Kanji struggles to come to terms with his sexuality, Yukiko wants to go out and experience the world, but feels like she can't because of her personality and with the responsibility of having to work in her family's bar, etc. It just feels really incredibly natural, some may complain about the cast's somewhat immature humor, poking fun at Kanji's sexuality for instance, but that's mostly due to a cultural divide.

I also really like Xenobalde's cast because they too, seem very believable, now, I'm not going to say that they break any pre-existing archetypes, but what the game does alter is character interaction. The team constantly talks during battle, supporting one another and commenting on the other's battle traits, it may not seem much, but it goes a long way. Top this off with splendid English voice-acting(In my opinion better than the Japanese voice-acting), genuine funny lines and an extremely quotable script *cough*Reyn*cough cough*.

Do you agree with me or should I burn in hell because I didn't mention FF6?

2. Shuhbooty moon child

I haven't played Xenoblade in so long that I do have to agree with you. I haven't played any of the persona games, but I've played Catherine xD Nor have I played FF6.

I think Star Ocean was like this also, it's in my top 5favorites too. -w-

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Ehh, FFVI is overrated. Especially the cast. Now VII on the other hand-/brick'dnovathat'sjustasoverrated

Honestly, my favorite party is still FFIX. They're not perfect - A lot of characters fall by the wayside after their one big scene (e.g. Freya with Burmecia/Cleyra) - but I still feel like I got to know them better than any other team. Even in combat, they all fill such unique roles, yet they all work so well together. I can't imagine a combination of party members I wouldn't try together. Hell, even Eiko and Garnet on the same team has its merits! Considering the differences in their Eidolons, anyway.

Runner-up for me are the teams in Disgaea 3 and 4 - Not much to be said for the combat side, since Disgaea's a bit odd in that regard, but they're the first parties in the series imo with real synergy, and it's just fun to watch them bicker, pick on each other, forge little alliances and so forth.

4. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

I'd have to say FFIV(DS Remake). It had a great cast of voice actors that we end up hearing from time to time in some anime. FF X was also pretty interesting; but I'm still choosing FFIV.

5. Fellangel Bichael May

My favorite RPG party is probably the cast in Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Graces

In terms of character, personality, and likable traits, I would not hesitate to put Tales of games in the highest regard. With a great blend of plot and hilarious words, it's no wonder why I hold Tales games very high.

In Symphonia, you'd think having a cast of 8-9 main characters would be hard to have a great backstory and development. In truth, they did a fantastic job of making each character unique, awesome, and just a great joy to have around from the klutz Colette to the womanizer Zelos. Each one have a special place in my heart.

In Graces, the cast isn't as large, but their work on characters didn't falter. Same as Symphonia, each character was great personalities and unique qualities. The running theme of a crazy ruins maniac is still here of course. Every Tales game needs one (Xillia doe =3=).

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Dragon Age II still has the best range of characteristics in any team to me. The party banter as you wander around is beautifully executed and continually humorous or just foreboding as hell.

Persona 3 also had a good team from what I remember.

7. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I thought you were talking about equilibrium of classes in one rpg, thus the more complete rpg party... not the "like more those characters" so I can't say.

8. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

I was just asking a general question, I just preferred certain parties over another because of the characters, but's that's just my thought. You can answer in any way you want, all the people responding preferred certain parties because of the people in said party, but that's not the only way to answer. Heck, you could say liked the colour co-ordination if you wanted to!