Big Hero 6

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by Meilin Lee, May 21, 2014.

1. Krowley Moderator

Ditto.
    So far I only saw the Frozen one (Hans is on a wanted poster behind the officer at the desk)

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

That's normal of Disney movies these days. But like Boy Wonder said, a Marvel easter egg or two would be nice considering this is still is a Marvel movie.

3. Ghost King's Apprentice

Has anyone seen the Japanese trailer? It shows more of the plot (or whatever) than the one we got.

4. Krowley Moderator

Hehe, love the end where he's just like; "There, there."
    This makes me like the Baymax concept all the more. Being left behind by his deceased brother to protect Hiro and have some nice guardian moments. Just feels like a nice disneyfied version of Will Robinson and the robot.

Also speaking of Baymax, that's what the film is going to be called in Japan. "Baymax"

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New clip from the movie!

6. Sokhu Merlin's Housekeeper

I wanna watch it so badly.
    I laughed so hard when I watched the trailer with the Armour. Omg I cried laughing when the helmet and the rest just exploded xD I hope the film is as funny as the trailer !

7. Ghost King's Apprentice

I know it I really wanna see it. But, have you seen those short videos for it? Like the one with the balloon animals.

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

New trailer:

9. Ghost King's Apprentice

I've watched like 20 times and each time I see it the hype level goes up. Like, I'm totally ready for this movie. Only like One month and 7 days left :3

10. Stardust Chaser

Bump because I saw this at an advance screening last night! Baymax stole the show; he was easily the best part imo. I am going to refrain from discussing it further until it's been out for a few days I think, but I'm very interested in hearing what others have to say about it. To be honest I wasn't very excited for this movie when I first heard about it, but... Uh, then I saw the teasers. I don't go to the theater very often so I'm glad I got to see it haha.

Comes out tomorrow~. THE TIME IS NEAR.

11. Ghost King's Apprentice

Does anyone know how long it's going to be in
    theaters

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Probably a few months. Three, maybe four?

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

And for the third straight year, Disney has once again impressed me, and I personally feel they're going through a second renaissance like they did in the 90s. Now, for the movie itself, Baymax is awesome! And I also really liked the main cast, partly because as an engineer myself, I could connect with them on a personal level. Another favorite thing of mine is how the filmmakers were able to blend western and eastern culture in the movie so seamlessly. Also, dat Stan Lee cameo after the credits! Overall, I really loved it, and I have to commend Disney for making a great Marvel adaptation in animated form.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  14. Misty gimme kiss

It varies largely on the studio (Disney) and the theater. Each theater works out a unique agreement when they pick up the film. The only way to find out would be to call your local theater and see how long they're confirmed for. Disney movies do tend to stay in theaters longer than others, but Big Hero 6 isn't doing near the kind of steady business Frozen did, so I don't think they'll have similar runs.

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Very enjoyable movie. Absolutely loved the characters and animation yet again.

Now my gripes because other people can compliment this film better than I feel like:
    • Again being a simpler Disney movie, hella predictable
    • We get basically no story for the side characters. It was awkward to me how Hiro seemingly instantly was friends with them.
    • Too short. I think that's part of why the above issue was prominent for me. Add another 15 minutes in, easy solution.
    • Hiro didn't seem to do much of anything in conflicts. He seemed pretty useless without Baymax. Wish he still used some of the old nanobots.

16. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

The movie was well done. Being intended for a young audience, I just waved off certain things and took it for what it was. One thing I did notice from this Disney movie was there were parts in the movie where the score just resounded well, which helped emphasis moments in the movie. So if you're somewhat on the sensitive side when it comes to these type of things, be prepared for tears.

I really enjoyed Scott Adsit's performance as Baymax. Throughout the movie, you just fall in love with the innocent robot. Everything Baymax does in this movie is just something to adore. Scott Adsit made the character REALLY memorable; although maybe that was the studio just being really good at directing their actors.

If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching this.

17. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

Loved the movie and all that science stuff gives me an idea.

18. Stardust Chaser

Every time I start a post in here I end up with a mini-essay and think better of it, so I'mma just try to give a quick rundown.

I do feel obligated to note that I'm not super inclined to write off issues I have with a movie, even if it's "just for kids." Kids may have developing tastes, but it doesn't necessarily mean that quality can be overlooked imo... Even if that were the case, these movies are being made by adults who also need to cater to the adults in the theater who are gauging whether or not this movie is the movie they want to spend three months watching over and over with their children after it comes out on Blu/DVD.

Just my personal $.02!

What I didn't like:
    - The writing was a bit heavy-handed/shaky sometimes. I cringed when Prof Callaghan prettymuch walked up to Hiro when Krei offered him money for his invention and was all, "HEY, DON'T LISTEN TO KREI, HE'S AN *******." Please Disney, show don't tell! I know this was meant to make Krei into a red herring, but it was pushed much too hard and sort of had the opposite effect imho.
    - Callaghan's backstory was fine but kind of felt tacked on toward the end of the movie. I wish they'd introduced that at least in part earlier to make it better integrated into the story. I thought having it introduced partly as a flashback when the film opens & fleshed out later would have worked; I read somewhere they had planned to have it open the movie anyway and changed it, even. That would have been much much better imo. I can't remember where I read this so I dunno if it's true for sure :v .
    -The action scenes were fine, but they took away from the best part of the movie, which was the relationship between Hiro and Baymax. :'c It also caused the other characters to get kind of pushed aside.

What I liked:
    + I actually left the theater with thoughts on what I'd just witnessed. Take that, Frozen.
    + THE VILLAIN AND THE HERO ARE PARALLELED? UM I THINK HIRO IS THE FIRST DISNEY PROTAG TO LEGITIMATELY ATTEMPT MURDER?
    + The way the movie handled depression, grief, and ultimately healing was wonderful imo.
    + Baymax. I love how he was portrayed as a robot with a job instead of a robot that aspires to be human, actually. Stories like that can be really great but they are a very common route for these sorts of characters.
    + This is a movie about smart people who use their brains to do cool things, and that is awesome.
    + Gorgeous, of course.
    + I mostly liked the supporting characters (Fred's humor was a little juvenile) but man, Tadashi was great. I think they did an excellent job developing him into someone the audience cared about in the short time before they unceremoniously killed him :'c.
    Family films don't tend to go over the hour forty-five mark often these days; studios are afraid kids will lose interest if it's too long, I think.
    It's a shame because I do agree with you that it could have benefited from a slightly longer run-time.

Anyway I really enjoyed it, myself, and I think it's memorable in terms of the heavy themes it tackles and the way in which it does so.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  19. Hayabusa Venomous

Yeah, I understand the length thing. I guess I do think that there should have been fewer action scenes and more stuff to really give the supporting characters more depth. I like them all, but they still felt really oddly tacked on.

And totally agree on the heavy theme.