Burning a Game

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by NemesisPrime, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Mhm. However, this argument applies:

A company makes a physical product, and you then buy it. You find a way to put this object into a 3D printing database, and when it breaks, you print yourself a new one.

The company could have made a profit. Should you have been forced to buy another one just so that they could profit instead of using the resources available to you?

2. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I believe this goes for Norway as well. I did think it applied for the US as well, but meh.

Anyway, as a reply for the negative aspects, I'll link this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem
    Valve's CEO and Co-founder claims Piracy to be a service issue, which I believe is very accurate (In most cases)

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This reminds me of an Occupy Wall Street-related article I read. Here's a section of it, with some links I think y'all should check out:

Thoughts?

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I believe that all of this has already been addressed? I agree that most people are idiots who would rather not think about the economic implications of being inefficient in their spending.

Given a choice between letting a populace crash and burn by trial and error and violently forcing people to respect artists before they crash and burn, I will take the first choice every time. Violence is only a band-aid for the problem. When the average pirate understands supply and demand, piracy will level out naturally. Keeping a child from touching fire will not solve the problem of their curiosity. I feel the same way about issues such as this.

5. EvilMan_89 Code Master

honestly, i don't know what i think myself.
    i actually do agree with some portions of that article. the best way to combat piracy is to provide a service that is more convenient than pirating things. for example, Shonen Jump (the anime and manga company) seems to be doing this nowadays. they have uploaded their own high-quality subtitled anime on Hulu and will be uploading their manga onto the internet on a weekly basis. i'm sure doing so will give them more revenue since they make more money from advertisement and the anime is still free for consumers (plus they get high-quality translations as a bonus).

6. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Exactly. If you are unable to acquire some sort of software, there is one, easy way to get the game/software. I know that in Norway, at least, a lot of games are not advertised, and are actually under-stocked. For example, I've only seen one or two copies of Kingdom Hearts II in the shelves. I have actually only seen BBS and the original in one game-store, which was Gamestop, and they are not always easy to get to. Which is why, at the time, I downloaded KHII. I know, however, that if I had the possibility to easily obtain the game, physically, I wouldn't have to download it.