Support Solved Can't get passed black screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Scarred Nobody, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Okay, so I was trying to uninstall a program that got it's way onto my laptop. It started acting up, so I did a hard shut down, a decision I now regret. Every time I try rebooting, I don't get far. Sometimes I just get a black screen where I can use my cursor. Other times, I get the Gateway logo where I can choose f2, but that does little help. I've been able to make it to system restore, but I've gone through two dates, and both don't work. I have a windows 7 computer, and as I mentioned, it's a Gateway.

Any advice?

2. Misty gimme kiss

The black screen where you get the cursor, do you mean the Windows mouse or a little blinking underscore? Do you reach the Windows logo screen?

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well, its actually windows 8 not 7. I get it to start up, the underscore shows up, then the gateway logo, then the windows logo, and then a black screen. Nothing happens after that. I can turn it off, and when I immediately turn it back on, it gives me a blank black screen with the mouse arrow and no underscore.

4. Misty gimme kiss

Okay, so since you've done system restores I'm guessing you're familiar with this screen:

[​IMG]

Try automatic repair if you haven't already. If that doesn't work there are things you can do through the command line.

5. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I have tried automatic repair a number of times now and hasn't worked.. I'm not sure how to use command line stuff, so a few pointers would be much appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1403654294][/DOUBLEPOST]After trying numerous things, I looked up just how to do a way to get it back to factory settings. It's not my favorite option, since I have a lot of my writing on there, but it seems like the only thing to help me at this point.[DOUBLEPOST=1403656427][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay. It wouldn't even do that. I got an error code 0x45

Now when I restart, it doesn't even show the windows logo. It tells me that windows failed to start because of a corrupt file, I think I need to reinsall the windows 7 disk (since that's what it originally had, but this was my dads computer before, so I don't know what he did with it). Any other tips.

The file that's corrupt is windows\system32\winload.exe
    Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. Misty gimme kiss

Reinstalling your operating system is last resort -- there's still some stuff we can do. ;)

If you still have the Windows 8 installation disc, put it in your computer and boot into it. Select the language and junk, then hit next. It'll give you an option to repair your computer. Hit Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt. Run the following commands:
    Code:
    bootrec /fixmb
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    If it still doesn't work after that there are a few more commands we can try.

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Unfortunately, I don't have the disc anymore. It started as a win 7 computer and I think it updated through a download to 8.

8. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I highly suggest running a Linux distribution from a Live CD to troubleshoot this. It will allow you to access the Windows partition of your hard drive without worrying about corruption or malware.
    1. Download and burn Ubuntu onto a blank CD using another computer.
    2. Press F12 (or the Boot Settings key specified) when the manufacturer's boot screen appears, before Windows loads. Choose the Boot from CD option and continue.
    3. Choose 'Try it out' or what have you instead of installing. This will boot Ubuntu from the disc without messing with your hard drive.
    4. Once Ubuntu is booted, there should be an icon on your Desktop that represents the Windows partition of your hard drive. Open it.
    5. Edit, delete or copy your files as necessary.
    In a worst case scenario, this will allow you to back up your uncorrupted data to an external device in a safe environment. In a best case scenario, you will be able to fix the problem clinically without the malware interfering.

Side note: This is not an accurate representation of the speed of the OS. The access to a CD is much slower than to a true hard disc; it will be faster if you install it to the hard drive. If you happen to like the interface afterwards, you can install Ubuntu from the CD alongside Windows (Note: do this AFTER reformatting and installing Windows if you plan to install Windows as well) and you will not have to worry about this problem happening again while using it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  9. Misty gimme kiss

He'll still need access to a Windows disc to repair some of the boot files. You're right that a bootable Linux disc is incredibly useful for backing up files, but Windows 8 already provides an option to fresh install the OS while maintaining your files.

Tummer, if you know anyone with a W8 disc see if you can borrow one. There are also places on the internet where such things are available.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

For data recovery, this is your best possible solution. I've done this on Win7 when my OS data files corrupted. Programs are recoverable but some things, like your writing, are not. Doing this will allow you to use the last resort method of a clean install without losing your files.

At least this will allow you to access your files until you get a boot disc to re-install the OS.

A couple things to note: When you have a virus and something like this happens, don't automatically jump into system restore. You can actually end up doing more damage that way. There's a difference from System Image Recovery and System Restore. System Restore can sometimes allow viruses to bury deeper into your hard drive causing files to become corrupted.

It's always best to have a recovery disc just in case. Boot discs are much better. I don't follow this rule myself because I had always planned on downgrading my laptop to Win7 anyway. I'm just going to wait until I absolutely have to to do it.

Fresh installs are often considered last resorts but I always like to do them after a serious infection just to make sure. Windows 8 might have the feature to keep your files and do a factory reset but it is impossible to do a clean install without wiping the hard drive. After a serious infection, and all important files are recovered, you should always format your hard drive three times before doing a clean install of your operating system. This ensures there is nothing left to infect or corrupt the new files. Programs can then be re-installed as desired.

-Nights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.