Chain of Memories Chain of Memories is the Best KH Game, I Just Didn't Notice

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by A Zebra, Oct 24, 2013.

1. A Zebra Chaser

Been thinking about Chain of Memories quite a bit recently, because of KH1.5. It really is the peak of the KH series, but it took me until now to realize this. I'm going to try to break it down:

Coherence:
    Chain of Memories is a fairly straight forward games, especially by modern KH standards. Sora is given a definitive goal: climb as high as he can in Castle Oblivion. The reason mutates as the plot progresses but remains clear. It starts with a mysterious feeling, then recovering memories, then discovering Namine, and ultimately rescuing Namine. The machinations of the Organization are kept to the background, but never get obtuse. We've got a mastermind in Marluxia, his dragon Larxene. Wild card Axel, and a supporting cast in the basement dwelling Org members. It's a fairly simple plot, and that works in its favour.

Theming:
    Most KH games have some sort of major theme, but none of them commit to it like Chain of Memories. The Disney worlds get an extra level of coherence by being tied together with the memory theme. While none of the Disney elements REALLY tie into the story, they often deal with different elements of memory and even bring up some interesting ideas, such as the value of fear. The story delves into some mature elements by KH standards as well, Sora thinking the about how the grownups probably knew why Namine left, for example.

Characterization:
    Look at the emotional range of Sora. Before CoM his emotions vary from wonderment, mild annoyance and deep, but short lived sorrow. After CoM his range is... cocky, confused, annoyed or sad. But in Chain of Memories, we see a fair bit more nuance. Sora jokes with his friends, fights with them. He shows explicit hatred towards his enemies. He deals with confusion over his memories as well as the supposed return of Riku. And by the end of the game, he has squared out exactly what his views on the value of memories. We also see I believe the most interaction between villains in KH history, and while none of the Org members are particularly deep, they present enough nuance to be thoroughly enjoyable. Personally I think the writing in the original CoM is the best the series has to offer besides perhaps Re:CoM.

Gameplay:
    This is a HUGE one. Because it's generally the most hated part of the series. But the deck of cards offers by far the most versatile system in KH. Far beyond the 'freedom' the Command Deck offers. This is the ONLY game in the entire series where it's perfectly okay to have an entirely magic based offense. Or use nothing but flashy moves. Flashy moves are made more viable as well, because they can only be canceled by a higher value card or a zero which means you don't have to worry about stray attacks. You could also set up a deck based around a huge variety of special effect cards, or a deck based around summons. All of this is viable, and what's more, not consumable. You don't have to worry about using an elixer in a battle, or using trinity limit, or whatever. No matter what you do, you can use it again next battle.
    The bosses are far more distinct as well. All variations on existing bosses bar the Organization fights, but generally presented in a more tactile way. Mickey cards give you a huge advantage for strategic card breaks, and card breaking in itself means that touch attacks can be dealt with simply. Finally, the leveling system isn't automated which allows you to grow a character as you see fit.

All in all, Chain of Memories is a fairly impressive package. It might take a little extra effort, but if you really look at it, it offers a LOT that KH simply doesn't anywhere else.

2. 61 No. B

I agree.
    I think this was the game where they found their stride, and it's been devolving ever since. The creators are too preoccupied with making it some big huge spectacle with as much nonsensical elements as possible. Story-wise, this is the best. It can stand alone unlike any other, and surprisingly isn't unintelligible nonsense, which you may expect at a first glance. I get why people wouldn't like gameplay, but for me, it's great in that the basis of it is very sensible and not complicated (card breaks and all that) but that game gives you so much variety in how many cards it has, but the basis of it never changes. And personally, I find the sleights in this game to be far more interesting than the commands in recent games. Better animation and more creative imo. Tonally it's definitely my favorite, especially once you get to about the 8th floor where Sora has lost nearly all his memories of Kairi. It's great stuff.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite overall (I have a pretty steadfast loyalty to 2), but I would say it's critically the best.

3. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

I like the story (I have to watch a playtrough to see the final of Sora's story and Riku's story, since I stop to play after Marluxia 1 because I hate card system), as for card system... They did like that because they can't make the gameplay like on ps2 on a gba, and the card system fitted well, but I simply don't like it.

4. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

After playing Re:COM I feel a bit annoyed about playing KH I, because I think everything works better in it. Also I've always loved the card system, after you learn how to use it you become more powerfull that you ever been in another KH game.. also the game gives you a treat and let you play as Riku, that even though uses the same "system" of battle plays a lot different.. If I was to change anything gameplaywise I would shift the order Riku's story is easier than Sora at the begning (even though it gets more difficult in the end).
    Sora starts newbie, and after some sleights is the GOD OF CARDS, Riku starts fairly powerfull, but his cards are controled by the floor, making some floors horrible (like Wonderland).

5. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah, I also think that this is one of the best KH games ever. Somehow, I feel that this is the most underrated game in KH history. But yeah, the story is good, the characters are cool, the gameplay is awesome, and nice character development. Definitely worth playing in my book.

6. Explode Who?!

Out of the first three games, Chain of Memories has my favorite story. It's very "video game-esque": essentially boiling down to saving a princess inside a castle, but with a dark twist. They are so many complex themes that it initially shocked me a supposed children's game would tackle. Sora/Donald/Goofy: the subjectiveness and deterioration of memory. Namine: what it means to be lonely, and how painful that could be. Riku Replica: Loss of identity. Riku: Redemption, and recreating one's identity. Even the Disney worlds brought up deep philosophical points relating to memory and emotion. And though all the villains wore the same clothes, they were by no means a single entity. They all served a different purpose, both for the story and the main characters' development. And I am a big fan of the leveling system and combat too. Though I prefer command decks, because even though you are more limited by what moves you can use, it's much easier to change up the order that you use them in. A lot of my CoM fights play out exactly the same way; Blitz, Sonic Blade, Firaga Burst, Lethal Frame, etc. With the command deck, you can easily choose which attack you want to use for specific situations, and throw in regular melee attacks without having to worry about messing up the order of your deck.

This thread's about Chain of Memories so I won't go into the details, but with Days and Birth by Sleep, it's hard for me to choose a favorite storyline in the series. Days retroactively made Kingdom Hearts II a much better game; adding a lot of emotion and meaning into the character's actions, which it was previously lacking. And then there's Birth by Sleep, which on top of having a well-fleshed out, simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting stand alone plot, it had throwbacks to all of the series' installments. In the past I spent so much time piecing together Kingdom Heart's story, reading all the reports and thinking about how everything connected, but it wasn't until BBS that I finally felt that my questions were answered, so for me it was the most intellectually satisfying game to complete.

Overall I think Birth by Sleep is the best in the series, but I'd definitely argue that Chain of Memories is the most underrated.

7. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Now that we are discussing Chain... I never understood the "Fate of Riku's replica".. He starts evil, than he is brainwashed.. then with the help of Naminé + Sora he gets his own motives to exist and seems to be a good guy... but than he snaps and tries to kill the original Riku to become the real deal and dies? I didn't like this outcome, I think he was greatly handled in Sora's path they didn't have to put him in Riku's... they could have put him BEFORE he decides to "be his own person".

8. EvilMan_89 Code Master

it's my favorite game in the series. the storyline was self-contained enough and also managed to leave some loose ends to be tied up with future games. i liked the card system though i can understand why people don't like it. also, playing as Riku is a nice treat.

9. Misty gimme kiss

Chain of Memories is also, to me, one of the strongest in the series. I adore the first game's plot so I can't say CoM is my favorite, but it's pretty close. Everyone has already touched pretty well on the development behind Sora and Namine, but I thought that Reverse/Rebirth was just as strong, if not stronger. The scene when Kairi appears to Riku and he realizes he can walk the path of twilight is one of my favorites in the entire series, as well as the one where DiZ confronts Riku about casting everything aside. The game just presents a lot of moral conflicts that the rest of the games imply but don't explore.

This is the only title, to me, where the Organization seems sinister and... well, like an actual organization, maybe even more so than Days. There are factions and unique relationships between the members, betrayal and coups. Axel's shifting allegiances alone make for a great character, I actually prefer his character in CoM than in Days & KH2.

I'm no fan of the card system, though. I think it presents some really strong concepts (sleights, composing & coordinating your attacks, enemy cards... essentially, something more than simple hack and slash), but it was improved on by later entries. I don't think things really hit the perfect balance between the fun of KH2 and the depth of CoM, gameplay-wise. Birth by Sleep came close.

10. A Zebra Chaser

I like how you didn't even include DDD

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Numerous times, I have said that Chain of Memories is my favorite game, and all for these reasons. The gameplay didn't bug me like a lot of other people, and I absolutely love the story it set up and how well it was told. Personally, I prefer the GBA version than RE:CoM simply because the remake plays rather slow and the voice acting is not that great at times (this is also a problem with the script sometimes).

12. A Zebra Chaser

Oh definitely. The original CoM was built with the card system in mind, and it shows. I'd actually say CoM has some of the best writing in the series, while Re:CoM has some of the worst...

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

COM and Re:COM are the same thing, though. Re:COM is just on the PlayStation 2.

14. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'm with Misty on this one, and I personally detest DDD for adding Axel into the story. After KH2, he became a fans service character who had a small bit of exploration in Days. I feel they put him into DDD simply because the fans wanted him, story be dammed. With each part of his story, it felt like it crowbarred him in there when they didn't need to.

Plus, to me, it cheapens his sacrifice in KH2.

15. EvilMan_89 Code Master

hmm, now that you guys mention the two different versions. i didn't really like how the PS2 version gets a little too easy later on, even on Proud Mode. i still prefer that version for obvious reasons but i hate how it lost a lot of the difficulty. especially in Riku's part, i liked the Card Duels but it's probably one of things that made it too easy once you get the hang of it.

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I don't think that's true. Something about it, especially the story, just worked for better in the original. I'm not one of those people who think the original is better, but RE:CoM is good on it's own, but there are criticisms I can make.

It's like Psycho and the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughn. They are shot for shot the same, but they are completely different movies.

17. A Zebra Chaser

FAR from it. In CoM, you move in 2D with limited animation. The lack of space combined with the drastically sped up attacks combined with nice visual cues like zooming in on Sora when he lands a finisher add a lot of impact and functionality to the card based gameplay. Meanwhile, Re:CoM runs off a modified version of the engine used for Roxas in KH2. It's not built with the cards in mind, you can easily miss attacks, and the arenas are just plain larger.
    The script in Re:CoM has been completely rewritten as well. A lot of the bite the original story had is completely removed in Re:CoM, particularly involving the Organization.

18. Misty gimme kiss

I didn't play it so I can't really vouch for its gameplay. I've heard that people think it's some of the best in the series, but that's the kind of thing I'd never repeat since I don't know myself.

19. A Zebra Chaser

Personally, I think DDD is one of the worst, but that's neither here nor there I suppose

20. Explode Who?!

I agree that the script for the original was better. Probably partially because there was no lip synching, but it generally just had a darker tone. If you compare the Organization's main theme in CoM (Thirteenth Discretion), you'll notice the GBA version is MUCH more sinister, which I really missed in the PS2 version. Also, I REALLY wish they didn't add that circular arena for boss fights. I think it would have been much cooler to just keep it in the actual Castle Oblivion hallway. Overall though, I prefer the remake, for just about every other reason.

In response to other people talking about Axel. He's awesome in CoM, but it's a pretty unique situation that's somewhat unfair to compare to the other games. It's the only time you see him where he's always "on duty". A lot of the time, he seems like he's putting on an act (which he is). Even when he's joking around, it's all pretense. He's playing the part of a villain, and you can tell he doesn't like being there. His only sincere moments are when he's alone or with Namine. So even though he's a cool wildcard, it's not really him: most of the time he's just serving as a tool to Xemnas or Saix. Though it does mark the point where he really starts becoming his own person and thinking for himself (ie. making the decision to save Sora), after which point his loyalty to the organization starts to fade little by little. I personally like his appearance in Kingdom Hearts II the most, with Days as a close second. We don't see that much of him in KH2, but I really like the sincerity of his character. It's hard to describe: he just seems more relaxed. Probably because he's on his own personal mission, operating on his own terms, rather than answering to others.

And sorry for getting a little off topic, but I honestly didn't mind him coming back in DDD. His sacrifice, as sad as it was, seemed unnecessary, so it didn't cheapen it that much for me. Plus they gave a solid reason for him to come back (along with the other nobodies), and devoted a good portion of the story to him and the others dealing with being recompleted. Quite a few people seem to dislike the course that DDD put the series on (in terms of heartless/nobodies reforming into humans, and in general for complicating the lore), but I actually think it did a great job of tying all the installments together.