Support Computer Memory

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

If you're going to a professional anyway, I'd have him look at it while you're there. It could range anywhere from the capacity of your CPU to how many programs you have open at the time. Even my Win8 freezes up when I try and run too many things at once ... which I do often.

I also want to say, yes google chrome more than likely uses more memory/processing power. MF was designed for the more tech savvy users and doesn't really bother with all the flashy features of Chrome, lest you add-on spam your MF. If the problem is only consistent when you run GC I'd stick with MF.

If it's a very troublesome issue, I can skype call you when I'm free and I'll help you clean up your computer step by step. Cuz ahm a nice gah lik dat.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Misty, @Snow Queen

We're going to Wenatchee today to look at getting more memory, but my mom said something about having the right amount of pins? Are those what the RAM hooks in to?

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

This is an easy what to find out what type of memory your computer uses / the amount of slots open / what's already in the used slots.

That being said, after that they are going to (obviously) recommend their RAM, just write down the information you get from the test and make sure its correct on whatever other type of RAM you buy.

I'd also like to mention, anything over 16 (for gaming) is a horrible waste of money. Don't make that mistake, if you want better FPS, get a new graphics card.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

They're not exactly pins. I'd define pins as more of an IDE cable connection, not RAM. RAM is a card. You need to make sure that the slots are the right fit but shouldn't have to worry about pins. I'd check the manufacturers information for your motherboard to see what kind of RAM card you need to use.

-Nights

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Looks like we'll be ordering it online. We went down to Office Depot and didn't know the RAM we already had. The guy said something about DD2, DD3, etc. and how the new RAM card should be the same model or something as the old one.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

There are several different types of RAM with different types of inserts. Not every RAM card will fit in the same slot. Ordering online will suffice just make sure to be careful when installing (be weary of static friction/electricity).

-Nights

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

My mom figured it out. It looks like I have room for two more cards of one GB each (since I can only go as high as 4 GB):

My Computer.jpg

Then here's my system information (@Nights, I guess I didn't need to download that program to see the model). The RAM type is DDR3 since it's a gaming computer:

System Info.png

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Not to be a downer here, and I know that 4GB is way more than (I am assuming 2), but if you want my advice I would upgrade your OS past the home version, and go to 8GB assuming your motherboard allows it (it would be ancient if it didn't)

It's better to wait for something better than to settle for something that's "okay"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. Amaury Legendary Hero

My motherboard can handle up to 16 GB, but that would mean changing from a 32-bit to a 64-bit, which we don't have the funds for.

10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I'm aware

But like I said, its best to save. You may not have it now, but saving is always worth it.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

If you decide you want to head in the direction of a 64-bit upgrade, but really want the RAM soon you could grab two 2GB sticks now. Then once you upgrade you can fill in the two empty slots then. If you have four 1GB sticks, odds are good you will replace all of it in a move to 64-bit later.

Honestly, with some of the video projects and stuff you've been known to do I'm not sure 4GB will cut it in the long run. Entirely your call though. 4GB should be enough for average use, you'll just start bottlenecking when you get into more intensive tasks.

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I've done a shit ton of video editing, and trust me even with 8GB I was like like "...eh I want more". I am currently on 16GB. You can easily find "cheaper" RAM that will still get the job done and it wont break the bank. Any less than 8GB for YouTube is just not going to work. Not well at least.

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Eh, I run 8GB and I won't say I've never maxed it, but it is rare. My processor though, that I max out all the time.

I guess to be on the safest side with my advice you could get a single 4GB stick and then you're prepared to scale all the way to 16GB without tossing RAM you just payed for. Though on the other hand RAM is cheep enough these days that it wouldn't be a huge loss if you did double up.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

In all honesty, the 2.00 GB I have now (although, of course, only 1.75 GB is usable) is decent for all the video stuff I do -- processing stuff after recording on Roxio and then editing and saving stuff on Windows Movie Maker. The minor freezing I get is on opened applications, not the computer itself, and that usually goes away once I start using them while something is processing or saving, but sometimes it lingers, and both of those really annoy me.

So, yeah, if 2.00 GB is decent, 4.00 GB should be pretty good, especially considering my mom's computer has less RAM than mine -- 1.50 GB with only 1.37 GB usable. Although she doesn't do any video-type stuff, so that's enough for her.

15. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Sources: I've made countless YouTube videos

But in all seriousness. If you have 2GB of RAM, your processor is probably terrible. I don't mean to sound like a know it all here. But if you are at all serious about this stuff, waiting a little while for 8-16 is worth it.

You even said it yourself "2 is good". If you can wait why don't you?

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

It's decent, not exactly good, but even when I'm not doing video-type stuff, I'll get occasional freeze-ups. Also, my processor type can be found above on post # 27. It's under my System Information spoiler.

17. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Those are two sides of the same coin. The RAM is how much your computer can keep track of at once. If your programs are locking up or being abnormally slow with too many open, then you can open less or equip your computer to handle more.

Different users have different requirements. I was working on someone with a really old XP machine abount a month ago. She had been fine with 512MB of RAM until the ISP installed some stuff that was capping her RAM as soon as the machine booted. And now she only runs 1GB. But obviously that is nonsense here. Focus on how much you need, not what someone else can get away with.