Support Computer randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Sara, May 14, 2014.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

Alright...

Recently my office got brand new Windows 7 computers, Dell computers. Ever since I got mine, it's been randomly shutting down for no reason. The computer screen goes blank for about a minute or two and then it shuts down fully. It doesn't give a warning or a reason why this is happening, and my computer is the only one of 15 that's doing it.

I only work four hours a day there and I'm the person who gets the least hours. I had the IT guy look at it and he supposedly fixed it. It worked fine for about a week, then it started shutting down on it's own again. I don't think it's the power cables, I checked the back of my computer and screen and both seemed fine. I also noticed the IT moved the computer back there also.

Anyone have any idea what the hell's going on with it? I am not going to any new sites that I did before we did the transfer.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

I had the same issue with mine when my mom first got it, and it turned out to be that there was a blanket of dust, thick in some areas, everywhere in the tower.

Open the tower up, and if there's dust, clean it out!

3. Sara Tea Drinker

I'll ask my co-worker to do that... It's been sitting in an office since maybe the beginning of the year. (My boss is technophobic, so we didn't get it until the week that XP shut down fully, so it was there for about 4 months not being touched.) I don't know if they can open it because it's most likely store bought, but I can ask. Thanks, any other ideas if it doesn't work?

4. Misty gimme kiss

Does it seem to be shutting down (like going through the Windows is shutting down cycle) or just powering off as if the cord had been unplugged or something?

5. Sara Tea Drinker

The screen goes blank for a few minutes (it's a desktop.) Then the hard drive shuts down completely. I always have to press the power button to reboot it.

I think it has to do with Google? I was looking something up yesterday and it crashed again, I experimented a little and almost every time that I started fiddling around with Google or just finished with google, it would crash. (it crashed four times yesterday, twice when I was experimenting with google. The other two were right after I used google.) I shifted to Yahoo and I didn't have any crashes all day today.

I'm honestly throwing things out here. No one knows what the hell is going on with it and the IT guy is the bully at my work place. He already believes that I do **** with work and this is really starting to grate my nerves, not including soon he'll start hitting the roof about it for god-knows why. I think even the other person is starting to get suspicious because it worked fine for a week before starting to crash again. (And yes, I was using Google at that time.)