Support Connecting PSP to Computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

As you know, quite a while ago I got cables that connected my PSP to my TV.

Now I want to also be able to hook it up to my computer or the Roxio AV plugins (for when I get my new Roxio) in order to record PSP games.

What do I need?

2. Llave Superless Moderator

A simple USB to PSP cable will do, got one myself.

Was that all you needed or did you need it to connect to your Roxio?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Probably more the latter. I recorded (using past tense since the Roxio capture card broke and I still don't have a new one) my playthroughs and let's plays by plugging my PlayStation 2's AV cables (yellow, white, red) into the AV plugins on the back of the Roxio USB plugin.

Basically, I would need something with AV cables. The non-AV cable side would hook up to the PSP and the AV cable side would hook up to the Roxio AV plugins. I don't think the cables for PSP to TV would work since they're component.

4. Clavis Merlin's Housekeeper

The Component cables should still work, they already have the AV cables (white, red, yellow) on them, you just wont be able to plug in the green and whatever other color. I think its another red.

5. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I haven't used the PSP's AV out features but depending on how the firmware is coded you may be able to tell the system that your component cable is a composite cable (in which case you hook it up with one of the video cables and ignore the other two). But since that is not necessary for setup due to the built in screen, it might not be an option.

Failing that you have two options, both being buying something. You can buy a converter box to convert between the two video types between the PSP and Roxio (plus a set of RCA cables for the box output). Or you can buy composite cables for the PSP so that the PSP can talk directly to Roxio.

I would recommend the latter since it is cheaper and leaves less room for something to go wrong.

Component has no Yellow. It is Green, Blue, and Red.

6. Clavis Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't know what I am thinking of then, I always remember my component cables having like five different plugs.

7. Mixt The dude that does the thing

They do. 2 audio (red + white) and 3 video (green + blue + red). But the two video formats are different by design. If memory serves, green is the luma (how bright each pixel is) and the blue and green are two combine to give the color. So each cable has less information more accurately. So if you took just one video cable from component and read it as composite it would be read incorrectly because of the different signal structure. And if it was somehow read correctly it wouldn't contain all of the information about the video (If you're lucky it would essentially be a grey scale image. If not it would be a rather abstract color blotch)

8. Clavis Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm going to nod and pretend I understood thato_O
    You definitely know more than I do, I just remember plugging component cables into AV ports just using red and white. idk, I trust you more than my memory to be honest xD

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Sorry, I did get a rather jargony there.

The red and the white for audio are the exact same for both formats.
    But the video is written differently for transmission over 1 cable or 3. Using just one component output on a composite input would be a lot like me giving you every third page of a book written in a foreign language and expecting you to understand the entire book it came from.

10. Clavis Merlin's Housekeeper

Oh! That makes much more sense!

11. Misty gimme kiss

You can use a component cable in a composite hookup, but it'll come through black and white, iirc. So, not an ideal option. Mixt's suggestions will definitely work or, if you have CFW, you can use Remote Joy.

12. Patman Bof

I have a component/composite cable for PSP but ... I' ve never used it. What' s the catch ? The PSP doesn' t mind displaying its menus or UMD movies through an RGB scart, but if you try launching a game it warns you it can only display them through the component cable (but my HDTV only has an HDMI plug so I' m screwed).

13. A Zebra Chaser

What version of PSP do you have? Fairly certain only 2000 and above can connect to the TV
    I use Remote Joy with CFW to record. As long as you have a computer that can run decent software for recording, you should have no issue doing that (CFW is ridiculously easy to install these days, too)
    Here's an example:

I'm still working out exact quality settings, but yeah.
    One mroe thing, if you record through Remote Joy, you'll need an external means of recording audio (a male to male audio jack, if you didn't know)

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

PSP 3001.

I already have a cable to connect to the TV, though, as I said.

15. A Zebra Chaser

Ah, but they're component? I've ,looked into this for my own recording, a composite component converter will run you 20-50 bucks depending on where you look. Average price is 30-40 but certain high quality ones are more, and there are very cheap variants, though they're surprisingly hard to find... and don't seem very trustworthy

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

This is what I got a long time ago to hook it up to my flat-screen HD television.

17. A Zebra Chaser

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

19. Clavis Merlin's Housekeeper

I never really appreciated how much goes into let's plays until this thread. I salute you all.

20. Misty gimme kiss

Using Remote Joy is a much cheaper option that will get you higher quality recordings (if you set things up right). Dunno the typical price of composite/component converters (protip: check Monoprice) but it's worth a shot before you spend money. If you're comfortable installing CFW that is but it's dead simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.