Disney's Frozen

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by Krowley, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Krowley Moderator

[​IMG]

Surprised there wasn't already a thread on this already, but "Frozen" is the given title to the next upcoming animated film from Walt Disney Studios. Very little is known on the film, other than it's loose adaptation on the "The Snow Queen." (a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen)

The film is set to release on November 27th 2013.

VOICE CAST
    Kristen Bell as Anna, a member of a royal family
    Idina Menzel as Elsa, the Snow Queen and Anna's elder sister
    Jonathan Groff as Kristoff, a mountain man, who owns a reindeer Sven
    Josh Gad as Olaf, a snowman
    Santino Fontana as Prince Hans
    Alan Tudyk as as the Duke of Weselton

Update: Teaser Trailer released​
    Am I the only one disappointed by this snowman's design?...​

2. BeatleManiac Merlin's Housekeeper

Nice! I can't wait to see it. Imo, it kind of looks like one of those Disney films that doesn't look like it will be a classic, at first, but then you watch it, and it is

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Admittedly, I've never heard of "The Snow Queen" before. But anyway, I do hope this movie is as good as Wreck-It Ralph.

4. Mish smiley day!

I'm pretty disappointed with the trailer in general tbh.

When Japan gets THIS

and the English-speaking world gets a random short with a couple of side-characters.. smh

I am a little concerned with the Snowman. But the other designs, such as the protagonist and the Snow Queen especially, I quite like the look of.

5. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ok, I have no idea what was happening or what they were saying, but that was epic!

As for the Snowman, I don't really see what the big deal with him is.

6. Mish smiley day!

It is translated, make sure you have annotations turned on.

7. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Seems like it could be good. Something I won't rush to theatres to see, or might not even see while in theatres, but something I'd like to see eventually.

8. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I think the Snowman is like the Sidekick, or the 'Comic relief' Character

ANYWAY Getting back to the movie though, I'm a very very big Disney fan sooo I KNOW I'm going to see this for sure, and I have heard bits and pieces of the tale of the Snow Queen but the only thing that really bugs me is that... well Anna looks like a Rapunzel remake, other then that I'm very happy that Idina Menzel is playing Elsa because like her roll as Elphaba in Wicked, Elsa looks like at first glance she could be 'Wicked' because she is the Snow Queen, but then we MIGHT see another side of the character, like we saw Elphaba's kind of 'Decent' into 'Wickedness'. (What I'm really trying to say is that it looks like Elsa and Elphaba are sort of alike and that Idina better sing) XD I hope that makes sense

9. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Then that's it. I really fond of 'comic relief' characters.

I'm kinda afraid of this, but I hope this movie ends up being good enough on its own without trying too much to be like Tangled.

10. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Just leaving this here~

11. cstar stay away from my waifu

It looks like it has promise, but I'm sorry... the design of the girls looks way too similar to Rapunzel for me... I'll still watch it and I'll probably like it too, but so far the design of the characters makes me feel like they just used Rapunzel's model and added a couple of different features to her to make her... different.

12. cstar stay away from my waifu

You know, in the last post I posted on here, I harped on it pretty bad. I mean, the designs still look too much like Rapunzel, but the story from what is being revealed so far, seems interesting enough to me to give it more of a chance then I was going to give it.

Although, I think they are being really bold by saying this is going to be the greatest thing since Lion King.

13. Krowley Moderator

The new trailer actually reminded me of Wicked for some reason. Just the music and sisterly care I guess.
    Agreeing with Cstar that the direction and feel is very similar to Tangled. They've expectedly changed a lot from the original format, but I think one of the things that bother me most is how everything seems "current" in way of speech and how a lot seems derived from Tangled. It's a good formula, but I'd like to see something more than the "princess protagonist accompanied by a dashing future love interest" dynamic. In the story as a whole, I'm more interested in the Snow Queen herself; Elsa, since I favor the more struggling characters.

Animation wise, I wish again, they went with another direction like Paperman. Combing 2D and 3D animation, it would be nice to see in something that's trying to be emotional. I hope in they take the time to do this in future films.

14. Krowley Moderator

Saw this today

This movie surprised me in many ways. Was not as deserving of the massive praise I've been hearing of. But I was pleasantly glad and it thankfully put a lot of my worries to rest. I made some notes below (Spoiler free!)

Characters
    The 2 sisters; Anna and Elsa have a good dynamic between them. Anna's character model bothered me in trailers due to being similar to Rapunzel, but as I finished the film, my mind made it's clear distinction. Her character personality was quirky and fun, but I found her more enjoyable as a child than her older variation. Elsa's inner struggle was as emotional as I figured with the fear and control and such. Kristoff is... well, the male lead. He's good looking, charming, and his daring habits will swoon one of the sisters (Disney film, so this isn't really a spoiler) His relationship with is reindeer is nice to watch though. Olaf the snowman wasn't as annoying as I thought. He has his on again, off again moments, but as a comic relief character, he did his job. Even had a funny way of introducing him. The unclear antagonist was thankfully brought to light, since I thought the film wouldn't have much to go on with just the plot of getting Elsa to stop winter.

Animation
    CGI at it's best I think. the kingdom's scale, the Ice, the crashing pillars of rock and snow were all very well done. I particularly love anything that showed Elsa using her powers to construct snow and Ice. Just the imagination you can do with it makes it so grand and beautiful. As I said before, Anna's recycled design kind of bugged me, along with Olaf's, but after the film, I kind of accepted it and found that it wasn't that much of an annoyance to hold on to.

Music
    I think literally every main character got a chance to sing. Along with several side characters. Thankfully some of them were short, but the ones that counted made it's impact. Namely "For the First time in Forever" and "Let it Go." Bell and Menzel did wonderfully in their vocal roles and again, just hering Idina sing again just reminded me of Wicked. The other songs weren't that bad, and even pretty funny. Olaf's "In summer" was fun to watch. Singing about all the fun he'll have as a snowman in summer, haha.

Story
    I think most of it was shortened with song, but it did have a clear narrative, introduction of characters, and satisfying ending, so not much to complain about here. I saw a few trailers and was unimpressed thinking that it would be "The best thing since the Lion King." I've read the Original Snow Queen, so I can see why they Disneyed it up with all the extra male characters, and for what it added and sacrificed, it came to be a well rounded film. An enjoyable fantasy film with plenty of quirky humor, heart, and catchy songs. Since the Princess and the Frog, I've really begun to enjoy Disney films. The period of 2003-2008, I noticed I didn't enjoy most of the films, but I'm glad they've got good stories with CGI animation now.

15. cstar stay away from my waifu

(there should be no spoilers, I am so sorry if there are...)

I saw it last week and forgot this thread was here, and I feel so bad for ever truly looking down on it as much as I did. I thought so many things were going to go wrong but it was just so amazing. The songs were beautiful and so full of emotion. I wasn't extremely fond of them still having to have a pop singer cover what I thought was one of the best songs in the movie for the credits, but that is fine.

The animation was gorgeous, especially of the ice. The models I still think look too Tangled-like, but I was so interested in the characters I truly stopped caring after a certain point.

The story was wonderful, and usually I am a person who sits in the theatre and wonders if it is almost over, even if it is a good movie, but this one kept to a nice length that I don't think I stopped watching the movie except when my mom asked what she had missed when she came back with popcorn.

If anyone was having any worries about this movie, I feel like they should be eased a bit, because it is a very good movie.

The snowman isn't that annoying either so don't worry about that!

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

My only complaint with this movie is that it hammered in the message way to hard with the symbolism through out the entire thing. We get it Disney, with the closed doors and frozen hearts; you don't need to keep reminding us every ten seconds.

Other than that, I really liked it. A lot of the songs were good, I can't get the Let it Go sequence out of my head, and it was all executed well,

Now I can't wait to see the staged version of it (I got that vibe that they want this translated to the stage).

17. Mish smiley day!

I was really disappointed when the prince turned out to be the bad guy. It wasn't a surprise as I kind of saw it coming after a while. But he seemed so nice ; ; and I loved his and Anna's musical number. They looked so cute together, damnit.

Anyway, I loved this movie! Agreed about Let It Go's sequence being visually stunning.

18. Antidote Façade

Went to see this with my nephew the other day (more like used him as a scapegoat so I could see it :x) and was honestly pleasantly surprised.

At first I was like too. much. singing. as it was all happening a bit close to the beginning of the movie, but after it got to the part where Elsa built her ice castle thingy it just kinda stopped and plot happened!

It had a really likeable cast - I loved Anna and Olaf. I pretty much liked them all.

Only thing that kind of annoyed me was how Anna thawed out after being frozen. I get that sacrificing herself for her sister was an act of tru luf or whatever, but I had been gearing up for Kristoff saving Anna or something. >: Meh, still a great movie, and the visuals and voice acting were top notch.

19. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ok, just came back from it, and absolutely loved it!
    Just like Wreck-It Ralph last year, Frozen shows that Disney can actually make memorable and amazing movies without relying on Pixar. And unlike Tangled, I felt the songs in Frozen were actually memorable (especially "Let it Go").
    Oh, and Elsa <3

20. Hayabusa Venomous

I really enjoyed this film a lot, even more than I did with Tangled, one of my favorite Disney films. The message is really obvious through the symbolism and dialogue, yes, but I understand the reason for it, and still felt that the message is important for life and was delivered well. And I loved the animation in the film. Superb stuff. The soundtrack was probably the thing I was least in love with for the film, but that's hardly a knock on it I think. Elsa's song "Let It Go" is (as you've probably seen/heard) the best song in the film, and deservedly so for such an important event of the plot. And the main plot twist that I shalt not spoil? It got me, and it got me good, and I loved it.

Highly recommend Frozen.