Support Explorer Meltdown

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Stardust, May 20, 2015.

1. Stardust Chaser

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for me... Lately (like within the last month or so I'd say), my laptop will sometimes freak out if I try to click on icons in the taskbar to pull up program windows that are minimized or in the background. It happens a lot when I try to pull up Skype after using Chrome for a while, for example. Usually, Explorer completely freezes up for maybe 20-30 seconds or so, and appears to restart itself before it will let me continue (after this it will allow me to pull up whatever I want without complaint).

I have a fairly new SSD in this computer and I have no idea why this would be happening. I'm generally careful not to install or download unnecessary stuff on this PC as it's mainly intended for school, so all I've really been doing with it is web browsing.

Details:
    Samsung ATIV Book 4
    Windows 8.1 (64)
    Intel Core i7-3537U
    8 GB RAM
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. Karuta Reborn

1. Open CMD and try the command "sfc /scannow" (without quotes)
    2. Run CCleaner
    3. Defrag

If after all that you're still having this problem then all I can think of is reinstalling windows.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

You said you're generally careful about what you put on it, but is there anything you can think of at all that you might have installed about a month ago?

4. Stardust Chaser

Thank you for your help!
    The file checker found some corrupted files it couldn't fix. After that I ran DISM /scanhealth and /restorehealth and it's coming up clear now. I'm going to wait and see if it's behaving okay for a few days before I close this, otherwise I'll be sure to post again! CCleaner looks great so I'll be sure to grab that too.

Nothing, but I think it's okay now. Gonna have to wait and see!