Square-Enix FF: Type-0

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingdom_hearts_loverXX, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Arch Mana Knight

A patch is coming today to do a couple fixes for the game(fixes already included in the PC version of the game). Biggest of which is the most common complaint for the game: motion blur. The patch will reduce it and improve camera controls. Though I didn't realize the camera needed improving. Maybe I'm too pro for the game. TOO PRO.

2. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

So the PC HD version hits steam on August 18th. I can't wait. I didn't have a PS4 so i couldn't play it when it released on consoles but now I can on the PC. Been waiting to play this game for forever.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

What decision are you trying to make? Getting it or not?

4. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

I think that decision is very clear....I said "Now I can on the PC"

5. Hayabusa Venomous

...it's not very clear. Do you mean you don't know if you want to get it on PC or PS4?

6. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

It is clear, i said i didn't have a PS4 so i couldn't play it on consoles....so now i can play it on PC.

7. Hayabusa Venomous

Ok I'm just gonna make this easy: you said, multiple times now, that you didn't have a PS4, and you can now play it on PC. "Didn't" is past-tense. You have yet to clarify if you now do have a PS4.

Hence my question still stands.

I'd get it on PC anyway, for all of the stuff they've added since the HD console version, and because I just generally like the customization you can do with PC games beyond what's in the in-game settings.

8. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

Being able to get the game through a steam sale is one of the reasons why it's on my wishlist. *crosses fingers for a christmas sale* I just hope my laptop can run the game. I heard a lot of good things about the FF -0, so Im hoping this will work out. Then again, the version I purchase depends on whether I can save up enough money to buy a ps4 before any steam sale featuring FF-0.

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It's nice that Square is taking PC audience into consideration, though the FF13 port (the only FF PC release I've played) wasn't great. PC master race stuff always makes it sound worse than it is, but having bits of text missing if the resolution isn't 720p is pretty messed up.

So I'll certainly be looking at reviews before buying it. -That and a price drop/sale since I own it on PS4 and haven't even fully completed it there because of all the repetition involved.

10. Hayabusa Venomous

So I'm hearing the PC port will be locked to 30FPS? This is fine if it's just limitation on the end of the game's engine, but still disappointing if true.

In fact I've yet to see specific preview footage for the PC port.

11. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

Yeah so 30 fps isn't a big deal cause human eyes can't track over 30 frames anyway. Yeah it looks a bit smoother at 60 fps but it's nothing to really complain about. The only thing that can track 60 frames is a cat anyway.

As for the game itself I've been playing for 10 hours and it's everything I expected the game to be. Not super graphic cause it's an HD pc port of a psp game. Game play is magnificent, I'm happy they made an option to keep out motion blur. Though I do not recommend playing this game on keyboard and mouse, I'd you're gonna get it for pc make sure you have a game pad or ps4 controller. My only complaint is that it doesn't change the display fave buttons when using a controller so it get confusing when look at the command menu to dicern what button does what

12. Hayabusa Venomous

Ok I'm sorry this is getting off-topic but

....you're joking with this, right?

13. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

No not really. I mean there are slight noticeable differences but to a normal human being it's not worth being bent out of shape about something not being 60 frames cause after a certain point you can't physically point out how many frames something is. Like there's a difference between 30 and 60 frames but it's literally laughable. The real reason 60 frames is more coveted is because if there are frame drops it's less noticeable going from 60-50 than it is going from 30-20.

Also reason being Type 0 is locked at 30 frames is because of attack timings for your characters and enemies. SE said that if they were to make it 60 frames that the timings for the killsights with all the dodging and **** that it would literally be impossible to do and that the engine for the game just couldn't work with it.

14. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm fine with Type-0 being locked because I never expected that much from a PSP port, especially one by Square since they usually jam their games full of visuals rather than fast-paced reflex-based action gameplay, and as you said, the framerate is tied to the game's engine

However, there is a very noticeable difference between frame rates, especially in factions of 15's up to around the 90's for most people (like myself; I barely notice things over 90FPS). This is one of the easiest ways to demonstrate it. Recently, The Hobbit trilogy had showings in both the standard 24FPS, and the new 48FPS. At 24FPS, lots of sweeping shots blurred together for me, and at 48FPS, you'll notice a lot more clearly things like imperfect make-up and props.

Even YouTube has implemented 60FPS video. Here's a video of Witcher 3 showing both 30FPS and 60FPS. It's day and light to me, with how much more smoothly the camera and characters move.

For myself, I wish more developers would put in options to at least have either 30FPS and super high graphics, or 60FPS and slightly toned down visuals. Having played a lot of games at either framerate, 60 just feels better playing with. But that's not to say I'll drop a game because it's not reaching that.

15. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yeah, because I haven't had that happen to me a million times through my first playthrough alone of that game

It's nice getting help on missions, but when you see famous names over and over, it gets a little old

17. Mikuru Asahina Merlin's Housekeeper

no need to be a negative nancy about it.