Fiction Writing Practice - Prompt of the Week!

Discussion in 'Workshops & Recreation' started by . : tale_wind, May 23, 2014.

1. Ghost King's Apprentice

No. I totally finished writing my short story last week ( I promisse) but I didn't get to type it out :(

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

That's fine! There's no rule against posting your responses to older prompts. :D

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

WEEK LATE BUT I GOT IT DONE #STORYOFMYLIFE

VERY slapdash, basically a fresh first draft, but I figure that's all right since it gives people lots to critique. Mood music hyar.

It was a surreal feeling, being on the run and looking for a place to hide something at the same time. It took a careful balance of haste and attentiveness, and left Hiba feeling both hot and cold, tense and lax—but most of all, drained. She had no idea how long she'd been running, though her shadow faced east instead of west now... or had she simply been turned around? And she couldn't know how far behind was her pursuer, though she tried not to dwell on it.

Above all else, she worried for the thing cradled gently in her hands, even now radiating warmth and light, sometimes flapping its tiny wings and chirping sweetly. It looked and sounded like a baby bird, but felt like glass; she didn't know which it would act like if she dropped it, nor did she care to. And so she moved not only with quickness but with grace, and her eyes darted back and forth between a jagged, icy landscape and a little bird of amber.

After a near-stumble, she came to rest at the foot of a steep, frosty hill. And there, between glances at her precious cargo, she spied something just on the edge of spying, so subtle she may never have seen it while in motion. She heard it too, as her breathing settled and the pulse of her own heart in her head subsided. A small stream several yards out, trickling not away from the hill but towards it. And where water met ice, the faintest outline of a wide, squat cave mouth. From the wrong angle it would look like a contour in the hill. In other words, perfect.

She jogged the distance to the cave and peered inside. Right away it expanded, so that the stream fell over several short ledges and the ice ceiling rose until one could stand upright within. She took several trying steps into the water, careful not to put her weight on it in case she slipped.

The water swam around her feet. Not in the way water does in pools, nor the way a natural stream flows around obstacles; it swirled deliberately around her, at points turning on a hairpin to lap at her ankles. She stiffened for a moment, her panic-addled mind imagining some terrible elemental rising up from the water.

Then she recalled a story her father once told her, of places where flowing water seemed to reach out to living things that came near it. Corriente vida—a living stream, he'd called it. She'd since learned from stodgier minds that this was caused by trace amounts of a substance that magnetized to anything with enough spiritual presence, but as she knelt down and played in the stream, raising and lowering her hand just above the surface and watching the water rise up briefly to chase it, she smiled and thought she liked her dad's idea better.

A chirp from Hiba's companion snapped her out of her reverie. She stood and followed the stream as far down into the cave as it would go, eventually trudging through it up to the knees, her shoes and trousers soaked, legs chilled to the bone. After several moments she stopped at a point where the ground dropped off sharply and the stream became a river. She turned to see how far she'd gone and only then realized that the sun was no longer visible; the only light came from the ceiling, refracting sun rays, glowing faintly like crystals in the dark.

She stood statuesque for a moment, suddenly at a loss for her next move. She'd put so much stock into finding a place to hide the glass chick, but really, what would she do with it? Just drop it in the water? Would the right people be able to find it there? Would the wrong ones be deterred?

On top of this, the day's events were only just beginning to sink in, trickling down like the stream beneath her feet. The creature in her hands: so strange, yet so familiar and friendly. The ugly gray thing now chasing her: its flesh torn and sinews exposed, its jaw unhinged and closing around the little chick. That numb, choking feeling of loss, as if she were watching the death of a loved one in slow motion...

The next moments were a blur. The screech she heard was hard to describe, almost like the sound of scraping metal mixed with the shrill cry of a fox. Her arms swept up the chick and her legs carried her fast away, both of their own accord. The awful wailing of the thing seemed to come in waves, as though it were staggering after her.

Time and space left her as she ran, and they still had not returned. No one knew where she was, least of all her. Though she'd been aware of sunlight at the mouth of the cave, she didn't know where the sun sat on the horizon, or if it had gone down since she entered. She knew next-to-nothing about the thing she now held, not even if it was safe here.

Sensing her anxiety—or so it seemed—the chick fluttered and cooed softly, closer to a purr than a chirp. The small, yellow gems of its eyes closed, fading into the deep amber of its body. And all at once Hiba flooded with warmth: first hands; then arms; then chest and stomach; head; legs; and finally, heart. The answer came to her then, delivered from the bird itself.

She cupped her hands beneath it, leaned forward just a bit, and lowered it into the water. For an instant doubt seized her again as it sank, and she wondered if it was meant to do so; then, the faint glow it gave off bloomed into many dots of light, spiraling outwards. The lights remained long after it descended from view, coloring the cave with autumn golds and oranges.

Hiba watched it disappear, but this time there was no numbness. She, too, closed her eyes, the glass bird's warmth still with her. Her worries all seemed so distant—where she was, whether her little friend was all right, whether she could get out of here safely, whence came that faint roar that echoed from farther up or why the water around her suddenly surged away from the mouth of the cave—and she knew, above all else, whatever she had done was meant to be, and was done well.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Apologies for not keeping up with this!

It's Sunday, and it's past time for a new prompt!

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt, ideally within this week.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...Part of me feels like I ought to change the name of the thread. The other part of me feels like I just need to remember this better. @___@

It's Sunday, so here's your new prompt!

[​IMG]

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt, ideally within this week.

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Happy Sunday! I actually remembered today, and at a reasonable time at that! It's time for a new prompt!

"What is love?"

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt within this week!

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Happy 2015, everyone! It's Sunday, so here's the first prompt of the new year!

"Look at those fireworks!"

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt.

8. cstar stay away from my waifu

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread before D:

Explosive Statements

It was too damn cold for the summer time. Or at least everything felt cold. Cold in a way I was not used to for a beach town like this. Especially on Independence day. Heh, it was rather ironic how little independence existed anymore. Maybe that's why the cold set in.

There were very few on the beach at this time of day. 7:30pm. The sun was going down and there was no reason for large crowds anymore. Times have changed, people live in fear of anything that could cause harm. In other words, people were just afraid of living. After tragic incidents had occurred involving anything firework related they finally and truly reinforced anti-firework laws. Just the sight of one caused the person who blew it up to be cited and shipped off. I hadn't seen a firework in the better part of 20 years. When I was a child.

I was going to make this year different.

I think it was because I was just done with the world, and I wanted to leave an impression. An impression that would maybe spark something in someone out there. I wanted to feel as though I changed the world. But I was doing something so small that perhaps it would just disappear as soon as it started.

On my back, there was a bag filled with fireworks I got smuggled over the border. I planned to light off every single one and let the world shine in the colors it brought forth. I found a large spot on the beach no one had occupied. It was close to the water and far enough away from the houses where I knew it wouldn't catch fire.

I etched out a warning circle that would keep as many people away from the blast zone as possible. I knew how to ground fireworks properly but if anything went wrong I wanted to make sure the only one going down was me. I started to gain some sort of attention from bystanders but the only one who knew what was going on at the time was me.

When the sky was just dark enough to see the stars, but still light enough to see the beach without a flashlight. That was when I knew it was time. I pulled out a lighter and lit the firework.

As it went up with it's loud pop and beautiful stream. It shot a blue into the sky that made a couple people on the beach scream but made others stare in wonder. I went with the blue first, so people wouldn't confuse a red or a white with warning rockets or bombs. The blue welcomed people in a calm color, and was able to allow people to recognize them for what they were.

Someone though, in the distance, I heard make a call. Already I had someone who was needlessly afraid. And that meant I only had so much time left.

I lit a few more, so each would be choreographed in a symphony of whistles and cracks. I did this to light off as many as I could before the police showed up, and to give the people a show. I watched for a moment as people began to sit down and spectate. Their faces slowly starting to be lit only by the light of the fireworks since the sun was completely down at this point.

I pulled out my headlamp, and knew that while this was the only way I could see, this would also mark me as the one setting them off. I did not care.

A red firework shot up into the sky next. Followed by an ooo and an aaa. The grumbling of worried mothers and the sound of fascinated children running onto the beach from their houses.

A green firework followed and a couple of drunk people about my age tried to come up and ask if they could help out. I turned them away but I gave them a couple of sparklers in my bag to shut them up.

A purple one exploded and someone decided to turn on some music on one of their music devices. People danced to the familiar tunes and it made the event all the more enjoyable and calming for me.

An orange one whistled and whined repeatedly and sizzled out. Someone ran over and I was about to turn them away but they brought over a bag with more fireworks. I told them they didn't need to take the blame for it, that I would fire them off. But they shared the same emotions as me. The sickened feeling over all the fear, the sadness they felt from being held back from something they deemed so beautiful. They said they needed that brave push to fire these off. They had them for years. They were ready to go with me.

A couple of yellow flickering fireworks came and the worried mothers were soon laughing alongside their kids. Many people were fascinated, but there were many still afraid. I was not interested in those people. The ones who were willing to go along with the scene were the ones I cared about.

It was when the blue fireworks came back that I heard the sirens coming for me. I lit off the rest and the person who brought over their own did the same. We stayed put and waited for our fate. We had smiles on our faces, the one I wore was the first I felt in years. I felt alive.

The police took us away without resistance from anyone in the crowd. No one wanted to confront them, but they still stayed for the show. I heard a couple thank yous as we were pulled away. But that wasn't what truly made my eyes filled with tears.

A little boy, maybe five years old, I heard him shout,
    "Hey daddy, look at those lights... what are they called?"
    "...Fireworks. They don't happen often, but they sure are beautiful aren't they."
    "Can we make them stay? They make me feel happy."

I was fully away from the beach, and was shoved in the car. But I still heard the last words somehow.

"Me too."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I LIVE

HERE'S YOUR NEW PROMPT!

"Want some discount chocolates?"

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

• Prompt Submission for 2/15 - 2/21​

• Summer Love Festival
      by
      Nights

There was a sweetness in the air as I made my nightly walk through the neighborhood. The soft summer breeze was gently caressing my skin with just a touch of coolness. It hadn't been summer long but everyone was already preparing for the festivals. Posters scattered about advertising one festival in particular, the Summer Love Festival. Perhaps this would be the fifth year in a row I attended it alone. As I continued my walk, towards the park near by, something changed in the air. It was still sweet but there was something else there. Bitterness. I prefer my coffee with plenty of cream and sugar, as far away from dark as possible.

As I rounded the corner I heard a sound, neh a voice. It was soft and sweet but distinctive. The familiar melody rang through my ears as she sang. I subconsciously began to hum along as the voice repeated the verse.

"If only, if only," the woodpecker sighs,
      "The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies."
      While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely
      He cries to the moon, "If only, if only."

Just as she finished the verse I came upon the park entrance. Out of curiosity I turned to see who it was who had been singing the melody and I was met by a girl, pale as a ghost. Her long dark hair flowed gently in the wind, her glasses reflecting the moonlight above. I couldn't exactly make out her face with the scarf she was wearing. I could understand just the scarf, something to take the chill off, but she was also wearing a pretty heavy jacket. I thought it odd but passed it off as nothing more than she was a cold natured person.

It's odd how quickly a face can change colors. Hers now a bright red. Perhaps she was easily embarrassed when it came to her singing, though her voice was truly magnificent. Attempting to relieve some of her embarrassment I spoke, "Lovely night for a stroll, eh?" No response. "Sorry, I should've introduced myself. My name is Simon," I extended my arm as is normal in most introductions. "It's a pleasure to meet you, miss?"

"..." was her only reply; well, that and turning a few shades more red. Maybe I was coming off a little bit odd or something. I didn't care to stick around and make her feel more uncomfortable, so I turned to leave.

"Well, it was nice meeting you. You have a lovely singing voice, by the way." My attempt to remove myself from the area was halted by a tugging at the back of my shirt. Not sure what to make of it I turned around to find the girl had in fact clamped onto my shirt. "Um, miss?" I asked.

"D- ... D-do you r-really ..." Her voice was shaky and came off as a complete contrast to the voice I had heard singing just moments before.

"Hmm?"

"D-d-do you r-r-really think my s-singing is good?" I wasn't really sure what to say. It was more of a farewell compliment than a conversation starter. At least she didn't think I was a creep ... or so I hoped.

Contemplating the question for a moment, complemented by the rubbing of my head, I answered, "Well yeah. You were amazing. You captured the melody so well I was lost in the sound." Wow, that probably sounded creepy.

To my relief, she smiled and I couldn't quite make it out but it sounded as though she laughed. She looked up at me, her face not as flush as before, and said, "Aria."

"Aria?" I asked.

This time she clearly laughed, "My name. You asked my name earlier. It's Aria."

She released her grip on my shirt as I turned around to face her. Aria was a very lovely name and I couldn't help but feel it befitting for her talent in singing. Again I extended my arm, "It's nice to meet you, Aria. My name is Simon."

She laughed but at least shook my hand this time. "The second introduction is always better than the first."

I let out an eerily awkward laugh, "Oh yeah, I already gave you my name." She didn't seem to care much. Actually she seemed pretty bemused by my antics. Moments too late I noticed there was something flying towards my face. "Gah!" I cried. Pulling the item in question away from me I noticed it was one of those posters from before. "Man, they should be more careful with these things," I stated as I began to wad the paper up angrily.

Before I was able, it was swept away and now in Aria's hands. She gazed at the poster with a look of excitement. "A festival," she cried, "I've been wanting to go to one since I moved to town."

"You've never been to a festival before?" I asked, a bit shocked.

"No," she shook her head, "I've lived most of my life in a small mountain town. Sadly, they never had any festivals there. An occasional party or two but-" She cut herself off.

"You want to go?" She stared at the poster a while, the redness coming back to her face. It took me a moment to realize why she was doing so. I read the poster to myself, Summer Love Festival. "As friends, of course," I quickly added, though I don't think it came off as suave as I'd liked it to.

Moments passed as I waited for her response and just as I opened my mouth to talk, she said, "Okay."

"Huh?"

"Okay," she laughed, "Let's go as friends. We'll meet here the night of the festival." Without another word, she turned and ran off.

I was left dumbfounded and only managed to say, "Okay."

A week had passed since I met Aria in the park. Tonight was the night of the festival and I arrived a little early to our meeting spot. I had dressed up a bit for the occasion. While they were still casual clothes, they were the better selection from my wardrobe. I was a little embarrassed when Aria arrived. She was wearing a beautiful summer dress adorned with floral patterns. So we headed to the festival. One of us looking elegant and dressed for the occasion while the other ... not so much.

We'd been walking through the festival, stopping at stalls occasionally throughout. They were letting off small fireworks while they prepared the actual show. I couldn't help but notice how beautiful she looked in her dress, the lights accentuating the floral patterns. Unintentionally I hurried her past a stall. The guy running it stopped me every year I went by; the past five to be exact. I ended up leading her to a spot nearby. There weren't many people around and that's why I was fond of coming here every year; well, that and the view.

"What are we doing here?" she asked with a laugh. "Isn't the festival back that way?"

I checked my watch to see the time. It read '8:55'. "You'll see," I said, taking a seat on a bench I led us to.

She sat down next to me, her face flushed again, "So, do you take all the girls here or just me?"

I coughed on the soda I was drinking. It managed to cause her to laugh. After clearing my throat and regaining my composure, I answered, "No, not really. Out of the last five years I've been coming here, you're the first person to know the location of my secret spot." That and I'm just terrible at dating.

"Secret spot," she asked amused. "Why's it so secret?"

I checked my watch once more, 8:59. "You'll see," I said. I pointed up over the treeline, just in time for her to look up and see a bright blast of colorful light exploding in the sky.

"Woah," she glared at the sky, amazement and wonder in her eyes. "We can see the fireworks perfectly from here."

We watched the fireworks display for what seemed like eternity. I turned to look at her amusement and my heart started thumping. The look on her face was priceless. Like she'd never seen anything like it in her life. The lights were again accentuating her attire but ... also herself. I felt the blood rising to my face and for some reason thought of the stall I'd hurried her by earlier. "Hey," I called. She turned her attention on to me confused. "Um ...," that idiot stall owner's slogan ran through my head, "Want some discount chocolates?"

• Moments after reading the prompt I decided I didn't want it to play a major part in the story. I also wanted it to be an ending as opposed to an opening. Upon getting to the singing scene, "If only, If only" immediately popped into my head. I wanted it to be something befitting the scene and to me it more than accomplished that. I'm not typically an original works kind of guy, I much prefer fanfiction as it gives me a basis to add my personal twists to, but this one in particular peaked my interest. I'll typically second guess myself in writing but this one was pretty straight forward.

Thanks for reading, I hope you found it as enjoyable a read as it was for me to write it~

-Nights

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's Sunday, and time for a new prompt!

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt. Don't forget to leave some feedback for the prompt response posted most previously!

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's another Sunday, and time for another prompt!

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt. Don't forget to leave some feedback for the prompt response posted most previously if you post a response!

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Happy Palm Sunday! ...If you celebrate that. If not, happy Sunday! It's time for a new prompt!

"Welcome back."

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt. Don't forget to leave some feedback for the prompt response posted most previously if you post a response!

14. cstar stay away from my waifu

I read this particular prompt not 5 minutes after having a long discussion about how out of focus I feel and out of it. I just don't feel like doing anything. I feel as though I should be happier, and I understand why I'm not... but so many good things have happened to me lately that I feel odd not reacting to it. Con coming up? Don't care, cosplay making isn't even fun. Roleplaying? Meh, I'll do it if I have to. Schoolwork? Well senioritis might be catching up but I am fairly certain it has more to do with recent circumstances.

So I decided I would base it off of how I've been feeling lately. How I wish it would go, or how I wish it will turn out. It's not going to deal with the exact same circumstances but I hope I cover the range of emotions well. I hope you enjoy it!

-cstar
    Little Blue Box

It was another day of nothing. Or at the very it was a day filled with the empty feeling that nothing was going to change and that every piece or part of life had become stagnant. This had been the typical feeling for me then. I was in my same boring room in the same boring house with my same boring attitude. My room was dark, with the windows shut and the black curtains blocking out any possible sunlight. Of course my room was naturally dark anyway and that wasn't changed just to reflect my mood or anything, but I purposefully had the darker curtains there.

I was laying down on the couch in my room. I lived in a house with three other roommates and we each kept to a floor. I was the attic floor. I had plenty of room for a fridge, a living space, anything really. It wasn't as big as the other floors and I still had to leave every now and again to go to the bathroom, but it wasn't really an issue, or I had to leave to go and cook a meal in the oven. I was following a new standard routine. The television across from me showed a black screen, not a black screen indicating it was off, but instead a black screen that showed whenever I shut off my game systems and hadn't turned on the cable. I was staring at a table which held many assorted objects, but notably a calender on a stand.

I reached my hand over and held the calendar loosely between my fingers. It was so poorly secure that I knew it could drop at any second to the floor. Un-moving. Given up because it couldn't do anything on it's own. But it held on, in between my index finger and my thumb, and I skimmed through the month, passing by skipped appointments and missed commitments. When I saw the date it was, I stared numbly for a good long time.

April 15th.

"Two months..." I whispered to myself in confirmation, and I took better hold of the calender and flipped back two months. It was two months to that date that my boyfriend had left me in one of the worst breakups I could have imagined. This wasn't some high school breakup where it is dramatic for the moment but then you move on. I was 25. This was a different type of breakup. He was the one who initiated the breakup, saying he didn't think it would work out. But the timing was so bad... so suffering to me. And it wasn't because it was the day after Valentine's Day.

I threw the calender and it landed on a chair, but I wouldn't have cared if it landed on the floor. I was in such a terrible mood it could have burnt all I cared. That was when the phone started to ring and I swore to myself. I left it lying there, letting it stop it's ringing. Whoever it was, they were trying to call me. I didn't have the patience for it. I closed my eyes and just listened to the ringtone. It was Pompeii by Bastille, it was probably one of my favorite songs because it was an upbeat song for such an upsetting situation, and every time I heard it I smiled. That was why made it my ringtone in the first place. But I didn't want to smile. I just closed my eyes and disappeared inside my mind, as it slowly became another background noise.

It wasn't that this was the only thing I did. I still had to go to work, I still had to go to some courses I still took despite having graduated. I needed money to pay off rent and loans. But it was just a basic function. My attitude towards work had slowly changed over the week, where I went from a caring smile to a straight face. I remember when Deanna, a close friend and co-worker, finally brought it up a week before.

"Casey... it's been a month, maybe two. I know he meant a lot to you but you need to snap out of this. Come on, Gary's got another gathering tonight for D&D, everyone would love to see you ba-"
    "I don't want to talk about this in the work environment." I had cut her off before she could say anything. They responded with an irritated chuckle, "Case, you don't say that. You never say that."
    "I just said it... didn't I?"
    Deanna had stared in a curious fascination that changed to sadness before I continued, "Don't use the word never so lightly."

Almost on cue I heard the door open. People never broke into my room. I should have followed my own advice.

I sat up at the noise and looked at the doorway. A roommate, Noah, was there and grumbled, "Look if you're not gonna answer your phone, mute it."
    "Maybe if you weren't in the attic it wouldn't bother you."

The roommate crossed the holy boundaries and I went to yell in protest before he walked over to the table and held up his hand to tell me to shut up, then looked at the phone, "Gary is calling you."
    "I don't care."
    "He's called you 23 times."
    "Maybe he shouldn't call so often. Maybe I'm in a tunnel or unable to reach the phone right now."

My roommate sighed and placed the phone gingerly onto the table, but somehow managed to knock into the small blue box. It almost fell onto the floor but I caught it in time and held it almost as a mother would hold their child after they were hurt. Noah scoffed and spoke, "Why don't you pawn the damn thing? I know you, you wouldn't dare propose to someone else with the same ring."
    "Get out!" I shouted intensely and pointed to the door.
    "So it is still your ex that is bothering you... come on. I know how you felt about him but this getting ridiculous."

I rolled onto my back and held the box to my chest and mumbled, "It's not ridiculous. I love him... I-I wanted to spend the whole rest of my life with him. But he didn't want to spend it with me. I really thought we were perfect together.. he never mentioned any problems before..."
    "Then he's a jerk."
    "Don't speak badly about him!"
    "Christ Case, look at you! He left you like this and I've seen you date other people and leave better than this. This guy is a jerk. He didn't say I'm not ready for that kind of commitment he said II meant to talk to you about this for a while."
    "Maybe he didn't understand... maybe he said it that way because he didn't-"
    "Maybe this, maybe that. If I had a dollar for every time you say 'maybe' when it comes to defending him, I'd be rich."

I held back tears, since I was not one to cry in front of people, but I barely managed to squeak out, "Noah, I don't want to talk about this right now."
    "That's another thing. You used to always talk. Until recently I had never heard you not want to talk about your problems. Do you think we don't understand you?" Noah's face softened up as he leaned down, "I'm not saying it's a bad thing to feel this way... but you know what Jerk is doing while you're sad and locked up? He's out having fun. You can be upset about this, maybe you will never find a guy like him again, maybe you will. I just don't like seeing you like this, we care about you and we are here for you. Even if you think it's something you have to handle on your own."

Noah gave me a small smile before he left my room. I turned my head towards the table when the phone began to vibrate. It wouldn't stop. And for some reason the time between vibrates seemed to slow. I picked up the phone and stared at the name. It was Gary again. In my right hand was the phone, and in the left hand was the blue box I praised like it was a god's box. I wanted to ignore the call, and I wanted to close my eyes and forget. But Noah's words this time were ringing through my head.

Did I want to cling to a broken commitment. Or ignore those still existing?

When the phone was on it's last vibrate, I don't know what came over me. I felt the box heave back and go flying across the room and my right hand clicked answer.

It wasn't too much longer later, when I found myself in my car and driving to Gary's. When I got to the door I paused for a moment and took a deep breath. I raised my hand to knock, but I couldn't bring myself to. I wanted to run away back to the car and drive back home and hide in my cave again. But I forced myself to knock.

The door opened and there were cheers as I was pulled in. My group of friends surrounding me with smiles and greetings. It got silent for a moment as if they were waiting for me to speak. I didn't really know what to say, but I spoke anyway, "Sorry for being gone these past two months. I'm still recovering but I'm getting there."

I felt someone pat me on the back and respond, "Welcome back."

It almost hurt my mouth to smile, even though it was slight.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's still Sunday! Here's a new prompt!

[​IMG]

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The clock is ticking.

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt. Don't forget to leave some feedback for the prompt response posted most previously if you post a response!

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's Sunday once again, and time for a new prompt!

Your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt. Don't forget to leave some feedback for the prompt response posted most previously if you post a response!

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This thread is over a year old now! Hooray! :D

"What arcane magick hath wrought this?"

19. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Man, I've been slacking...

It's Sunday, and long time for a new prompt!

20. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

• Prompt Submission for 9/6 - 9/12
    • Ecstatic Ensemble

"Aria!" A young teenage girl was shouting down the hall at one of her fellow classmates, "Come on, we're starting without you!" She had short pink hair, green eyes, and wore the typical attire, mostly anyway, for her school, Misagi High. The Misagi uniform consisted of a blue skirt with white stripes for the girls and blue pants for the guys, a normal white dress shirt, a blue jacket with 'MH' embroidered in gold lettering in the upper left, and a blue tie with white stripes. This young lady was in major breach of uniform. She had her jacket off, sleeves rolled up, and tie all askew. Honestly it was typical of her and nobody really said much.

Aria, the girl being yelled at, was dressed according to school code. She was a bit of a stickler when it came to the rules and was one of the only people to chastise the yelling girl for her wardrobe malfunction. Her goody-goody personality was complimented by her long silky-black hair, her half-circle glasses, and her midnight blue eyes. "Doremi," Aria cried, "I'm packing all this stuff Can't you give me a little help?"

Doremi smiled in response, "You're doing an excellent job though. Don't worry, I believe in you." With a thumbs up, Doremi disappeared around a corner.

"Remi!" Aria pleaded.

Doremi rounded back the corner giggling, "Of course I'll help you, Ari. I just wanted to hear that cute scream of yours." She skipped all the way to Aria.

"That's not very nice," she pouted.

With the two of them carrying all the items, they carried on. They rounded the corner Doremi disappeared behind and met Aria's arch nemesis, stairs. Aria was frail compared to Remi, though Remi also has to be pretty tough for as much of a ditz as she is. Aria might be frail but she's careful. In step with their personalities, Aria carefully climbed the staircase while Remi sprinted her way up. Several minutes later and Aria runs into a very 'tripped falling up the stairs' Remi.

Aria sighs, "Won't you ever learn to take your time?"

"I was almost to the top though," replied a very disoriented Remi.

They heard a door open and then a voice, "Oh, there you two are. I was wondering if you were going to show. Hopefully Remi didn't damage the snacks?"

Aria turned her gaze to face the girl talking and laughed softly, "No, I wouldn't let her carry those, Ballad."

Ballad was dressed mostly according to code. Her jacket was off, which was acceptable, and her tie was slightly loose. Her hair was fire red, long but spiky towards the ends. She had red eyes to match and nobody was sure if they were real or contacts. "Good, we're gonna be up here for a while."

After assisting Aria, the three exited the door and walked out onto the schools roof. Ballad cracked her knuckles, "You two sure you're ready for this?"

"Of course," they both replied, the look of battle on their faces.

"Alright then, let's do this."

The three would later be chastised for being on the roof but the officers enjoyed hearing them play. Ballad was a pianist, Aria a cellist, and Doremi did vocals. All three were in the music slash choir club. Remi wasn't very talented with an instrument so they had to throw choir in there. It was definitely an opening ceremony to remember.

• Something I just really wanted to play around with after listening to the prompt. I was running on no sleep at the time of writing this so it's a little bit shorter than what I wanted. I plan on making an actual story out of it and this may or may not be canon in the story line. It's kind of obvious but for those who didn't catch it, I named all three characters after musical terminology.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed writing this. If/when I decide to write the actual story, I'll put a link here in the Authors Note. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.

-Nights

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015