Square-Enix Final Fantasy XIII-2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boy Wonder, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

2. Willis Traverse Town Homebody

I still haven't played final fantasy XIII, but XIII-2 looks awesome. I know what I'll be doing this paycheck.

Thanks for the screens and Vids.

3. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

4. StardustXtreme Chaser

A Medic it is and PS STore seems tos till not have it on UK yet.

5. Hayabusa Venomous

...am I the only person pissed off that a bunch of the DLC being released could have EASILY been implemented in the game before they released it? Y'know, like the old Final Fantasy games had a bunch of optional bosses? It barely sounds like Square-Enix even care about making a complete game anymore...

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Doesn't "optional" mean it doesn't have to be in it for it to be considered "complete?" Either way, I sort of agree. I haven't played XIII-2 yet, but it does look like some things could have been put into the game from the start. However, from what I hear, XIII-2 has a lot to do without DLC, so it's...bonuses? I don't know. Though GameInformer had a decent article this month on companies release DLC from the first day the game is released ("Why not just put it in the game?!") that I think someone with your train of thought would be interested in reading.

7. Pinekaboo Chaser

Yeah, or they could have released the game on time and then released a steady stream of content for us over time.
    Neochu, Yomi, Long Gui, and the Immortal are all already in the game, and they serve as the optional bonus bosses. Do you really need to have more than four optional bosses on the disc when you've already got a good amount of game there?

I am irritated at the style of the DLC fights though. Still haven't beaten Jihl Nabaat, and just fought Gilgamesh today only to find he has 999999 health, and resistance to everything ever. I get that they want to give post-gamers a challenge to keep them interested, but each of these fights are longer than Sazh's chapter.

8. Hayabusa Venomous

Yes, I did say optional, because they weren't integral to the main plot, but thats what I loved about the old Final Fantasy games: reaching these bosses and battling them were their own little stories, usually irrelevant to the main plot, yet still quite captivating and very enjoyable.

And I just read the article. He gives good points that people shouldn't expect certain DLC free just because it was finished around the same time the game is being released, but I'm not necessarily saying that DLC is bad or anything (though Day-One DLC is still...debatable). I'm just saying, Final Fantasy, as a series, has always had games packed full of content, including secret bosses that, for me, were a hugely enjoyable part of the games, and the fact that now they're being sold at a price separate of the game is a prime example of Square-Enix trying too hard to be like western games like Call of Duty (which was great until EA ruined it and turned it into a cash-cow)

/end rant

This isn't the kind of thing I expect Final Fantasy to have succumbed to is what I'm trying to say. All of those bosses would have been put in already if Square-Enix stuck to doing what they'd been doing for many years, taking their time to make really complete games, but like I said, they're trying too hard to find the same success as western games are receiving, and the series is suffering for that (in my opinion). I honestly could wait longer if it entailed a fuller game.

9. StardustXtreme Chaser

Recorrected, They are on PS STore now.

10. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

11. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I don't mind the DLC but I am a bit weird out about the "real ending" DLC or whatever their calling it. With that said, the game is incomplete since the release making people think there is going to be a XIII-3. I won't even pick this game up nor the first XIII (because I beat it at a friends house).

12. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

13. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

14. Chevalier Crystal Princess

As much as I dislike DLC practices, I really can't agree. If anything, this means that we don't need international versions of games anymore, which in turn means that we'll get the same content as the Japanese audiences. We also have to consider that no other Final Fantasy game had done the costume thing. Which doesn't affect the game in any way, so it's not exactly 'unfair' that it's not being offered for free.

This game has five extra-bosses (Immortal, Long Gui, Ochu, Yomi and Raspatil) the ones added as DLC were for promotional purposes and really don't add anything substantial to the game other than an unrelated boss battle.

I think the questionable stuff is the story DLC. But the Sazh DLC didn't exactly give us anything new (if you read fragments and picked up certain cues) It would have been great if it was added beforehand, but considering how it doesn't really add much other than an unrelated story scenario, it's not really important in the overall plot.

Don't get me wrong. I'll take what I can get for free. But all this content is something that can be done without, specially considering the game offers a fair share of optional content.

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Yeah, I should have added that I am also particularly mad about the story-DLC. I think there's supposed to be something about Lightning? Ridiculous, in my opinion, that they didn't just wait a little longer to add it to the game before release.

I guess I can understand the boss thing; it just seemed to me at the time of reading about them that they were to trivial, they could easily have been put into the game instead of sold separately, but whatever :|

16. Pinekaboo Chaser

By that same token, one could argue that any dlc for any game should be in the disc on release, thus invalidating the exitence of DLC at all.
    Honestly, look at what the game is about; Serah and Noel's journey through time and solving the paradoxes. It has a perfectly defined begining, middle, and end structure, regardless of cliffhangers. We don't need to know more about Lightning's story, nor more about Sazh's, they make and give those to us, the fans, because it's what we want to know. They charge us for it because it costs them money to make, and they have to make a profit.
    Frankly I like the DLC so far, and I like the stuff that's planned. I'll buy 90% of it without complaint, and the pieces I don't care enough about (looking at you, PuPu) I won't.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

I thought I made it clear that I'm not complaining about all DLC, and definitely not all story DLC. I'm only talking about it in terms of Final Fantasy. I really hope that I've made that clear. I love the extra story DLC for games like Mass Effect, and I'm ok with paying for a few extra things, like the costume DLC in Soulcalibur, but I'm just sad that Final Fantasy is becoming like all the newer games, cause to me they've always been a staple of what it means to get a full game for what you paid for initially.

18. Arch Mana Knight

Except that XIII-2 is a full game. There's nothing wrong with Final Fantasy moving on with the times. Believe it or not, DLC is a good thing. On the development side, it keeps people who aren't working on something else from being laid off. If those people are working on DLC, then they have a job and Square gets to make more money off of optional content that didn't have time to make it on the finished product. Though Capcom's been a little evil with on-disc DLC. Final Fantasy shouldn't be safe from change and modernization, if it doesn't grow from its roots then it'll just be left behind in the dust.

Final Fantasy is seems to be heading in the right direction in my opinion. Things are hit and miss since Square's trying to change things but they've been learning from their mistakes. ...They just need to release Type-0 over here so everyone can see that Final Fantasy hasn't lost its touch. I seriously believe that's the best Final Fantasy game ever released.

In either case, I believe FFXIII-2 is far better than XIII. I'm not a huge fan of just having two characters around almost all the time since Noel and Serah aren't the best characters, but Hope's development more than makes up for their lack of characterization. Anyways, I don't see what's the big deal about DLC. It's not optional and the stuff that's been released so far isn't important. And Gilgamesh? Please, Type-0's Gilgamesh is the best Gilgy ever. B| As for the soon-to-be released Lightning (story)DLC, I doubt there'll be much to learn from that other than playing as a character who wasn't actually important to XIII-2's story.

19. Hayabusa Venomous

...I just said that I agree that DLC can be a good thing...I'm just, I dunno, hesitant to see a series like Final Fantasy shifting into that kind of marketing. I was hoping that I'd be understood in this aspect, yet many people seem to be telling me that I'm just plain wrong :\

20. Arch Mana Knight

It's called moving forward. Being stuck in the past is a bad thing. Sure, having things like a great story or at least good characters will always be a must for Final Fantasy but the old ways of doing business are outdated. DLC kind of needs to be around. Either that or Square has to make Final Fantasy a First Person Shooter with a lot of testosterone(joking obviously). I have mixed feelings about DLC but Final Fantasy still shouldn't be singled out just because it's been around longer. Square's just a bit new to the DLC thing. >>

AWESOME EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/17/snow-and-valfodr-coming-to-final-fantasy-xiii-2-as-dlc/

We'll get Snow as a party member! And Valefor but who cares about that? SNOW!