Square-Enix Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Jun 2, 2009.

1. libregkd -

2. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

3. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

That's all very well, but it the gaming industry startsonly caring about old games, the industry wil never evolve. What would've happened if Valve had decided to just re-make Half Life instead of making Half life 2? What if Squaresoft had never made Final Fantasy 7?

On another note, when FFXIV comes out, I deffinately want to play as a summoner. They're just epic.

4. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Personally, after playing WoW for at least two and a half years, I think this would be a similar game, which instantly draws me in. A FF MMO has been something I've wanted for years and despite the cost, I would find no problem with paying x amount a year for it.

5. libregkd -

6. C This silence is mine

Wow, I thought that the Ps3 version would never be heard from again, figured it was long dead. This actually looks pretty neat! It looks like Square might have finally gotten their stuff together again. By the way this is looking I might actually buy this. I just wonder how the controlls will be for the Ps3 version, there seems to be a lot of stuff in that screenshot.

7. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

THAT IS A MMORPG, SQUARE-ENIX. Well done. It's not vapourware any more. Thank god.

Nice job calling a Dragonslayer "Kain Highwind".

It's looking pretty good. ;D

8. Iskandar King of Conquerors

dang, it's already on the 2.0 version? But oh well, I'm glad it's finally looking like it might not end up like FF XI.

And the graphics look awesome, as well as that artwork.

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

The fact that they used Final Fantasy Tactics names makes me happy<3

But this is looking pretty interesting (though I haven't really paid much attention to this game). I might give it a chance once the change rolls through.

10. C This silence is mine

There's "already" a 2.0 version because they instantly started working on it, this was due to how broken and boring the original one was apperantly, nobody liked it. So they kinda had to do make a new version to save the tiny bit of reputation Square has left. And FFXI actually did pretty well, it made them tons of money.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

eh, I've never heard anything good about FF XI. The only thing I've ever heard was that it sucked, and that they should never have made Final Fantasy in a MMORPG. We still have it, but I can't pay the monthly fee for it

12. C This silence is mine

Well yeah, people loved the Final Fantasy games, and when they decided to make the next one into an MMO people felt betrayed. That's why you hear that it "sucks". It was a pretty decent to good MMO on its own merits though.

13. libregkd -

14. Iskandar King of Conquerors

15. libregkd -

16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

17. Mixt The dude that does the thing

And no comment on "The Lady Killer, Romeo Guildenstern"?

Anyway, I'm not much of an MMO guy myself but this does look pretty cool. Granted I thought that on the original. I hope for Square's sake that this works though. If the original and remake are both flops this may end up worse for them than Spirits Within.

18. Iskandar King of Conquerors

hey, I liked that movie. I thought they did pretty well, considering.

19. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I would agree with you. The two primary things I saw wrong with the film was calling it a "Final Fantasy" when it really wasn't, and obviously the graphics being in the uncanny valley. Then again I saw it knowing how much people disliked it so my expectations were pretty easily surpassed.

Point is though the movie was a sales flop. I mean it cost $137 million to produce and they only got back $85 million. Basic math the movie lost Square $52 million and lead to a dely in the merging of Squaresoft and Enix, and worse the loss of Square Pictures entirely. Reguardless of us liking it or not, it was undeniably a flop.

20. Iskandar King of Conquerors

maybe a flop for the company, but I still consider it a pretty good success, since they tried to make a movie from Final Fantasy that didn't really incorperate many of the ideas of the actual Final Fantasy. Yeah, they lost money, but if I liked it, I consider it a success in my book.