Square-Enix Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Jun 2, 2009.

1. libregkd -

2. libregkd -

3. Sara Tea Drinker

I'm Eh... About this.

Mainly because due to the reviews of Final Fantasy's MMO's so far, they've had the worst luck with making ones. No matter how pretty and shiny they look, they're terrible to play. They might have changed, but I'm extremely hesitant to jump on the band wagon about another one.

4. libregkd -

5. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

6. C This silence is mine

7. Krowley Moderator

Letter from the Producer; Naoki Yoshidaarose recently. Basically, there is a planned summer date, and it will be announced at the end of May.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. libregkd -

9. Fellangel Bichael May

I'm still not touching this game, but god I wish I wasn't such a sucker for collector edition games. Those collectibles are SO cool *o*

10. C This silence is mine

This looks to be the best numbered Final Fantasy since IX. Yeah.

11. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

The game definitely looks great. And that Collector's edition. Don't even get me started on that. That's just too great. The only thing that turns me off about the game and ultimately makes me not able to afford it is that monthly fee. That can add up to a lot over time (like 400 something dollars a year I think) so I won't be getting it. Other than that I can't say anything negative about the game. It looks amazing.

12. Misty gimme kiss

I finally got to play in the Phase 3 beta this weekend and I have to say, the game is amazing.

I did not play FFXIV 1.0 so I can't speak to how improved the game has been (though I have heard from legacy players that it's come miles), nor have I really played any MMOs, so I'm not entirely familiar with the structure yet. I'm playing the PS3 version though I believe my laptop could handle the PC version on decent settings.

The character customization is no Sims game but you get a decent number of options. You get to choose between the major races (Hyur/Human, Miqo'te, Elezen/Elf, Roegadyn, and Lalafell), your player's Date of Birth, favored God, and, of course, class (in addition to all the appearance customization). I played as a female Hyur archer. One nice thing about the game is that you can change your class at any time (and, in fact, it can be advantageous to do so, because then you can use cross-class skills). I stuck with the archer throughout the entire beta test because I felt no reason to switch, but from my understanding you could basically build yourself a Red Mage if you really want to.

Essentially you start out in a town called Gridania. You have the story quests and side quests that you can do, which are a good way to get EXP and familiarize yourself with some of the game's functionality (for example, one quest requires you to buy and wear better armor). The side quests offer the same things but tend to be much shorter. The majority of the quests I did required me to deliver something, kill a certain number of a certain enemy, etc. They were basic and some could feel repetitive, but they're one of the best ways to get EXP and gil so I didn't mind doing them all that much. The story is a bit light and is the typical Final Fantasy mumbo jumbo (you are an adventurer who wants to be a Warrior of Light, you must locate all the crystals, etc.). There are also levequests (Guild missions, basically), but I didn't get a chance to do any of those.

There are other ways to get EXP, though. One fun feature was the Hunting Log, which would ask you to defeat a certain number of enemies of a certain type, and you'd get an EXP bonus for it. For example, one might ask you to kill 5 Ladybugs and 5 Ground Squirrels, and in addition to the EXP you get from battle, you'd get some bonus on top of it. It's no groundbreaking feature but it makes grinding a little more appealing.

There are also FATEs, which are marked on your map and easy to stumble into. Usually they'll ask you to defeat an enemy within a certain time limit. The FATEs are open to all players and can get a little crowded, which made targeting difficult, but it's pretty awesome to see your heavy hitters up front, ranged fighters keeping their distance, and Healers on the sidelines making sure nobody is KO'd. Everyone was fantastically collaborative. You get EXP and Gil based upon your participation--so if you're in the FATE from the very beginning and get a lot of shots in, you'll get a lot of Gil and EXP, whereas if you join as it's completing you won't get too much. I'm not sure how it's calculated exactly, but I imagine it would be balanced so that even Healers, who don't damage the enemy as much, still get their fair amount for participating.

I can't speak to how expansive the world was--I stuck to Gridania, the Central Shroud, and the Northern Shroud (only certain areas) because I didn't have the level to go beyond there. However, I never really felt bored in either area.

The armor choices were basic but again, I was in the starting area without much Gil so I also didn't get to see all the options. One thing I didn't get to try out was the dye system, where you can recolor your armor--I was looking a little mismatched at times.

The world itself, in Final Fantasy tradition, is gorgeous. The music also was a standout.

After just a few hours of playing I was hooked. I preordered after my first night.

Phase 3 of the beta testing ends after next weekend, and Phase 4 (the Open Beta) should be commencing a week or two after that. All of your Phase 3 progress is wiped out for Phase 4 (which made me anxious towards the end!), but you get to keep your Phase 4 and early access (after Phase 4, for people who preordered) progress for the actual game.

13. libregkd -

14. Arc Kingdom Keeper

I play this on Balmung(LEGACY) server, IF anyones playing let me know. if you're on my server, I run a Free Company, you're all welcomed to join up

15. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

I Played the BETA not so long ago and thought this game was pretty sweet. and i had the urge to play it tonight (its night time for me) i drove to the next town to the only store that was open to buy it.......they didnt have it.

16. libregkd -

17. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

Yooo I've been playing this far too much for my own good. I have 3 different characters so far, with a 4th planned. My main is a DPS Arcanist who I'm probably turning into a summoner (or a white mage, haven't decided yet).

It is addictive, and it's just been great. I also love how responsive Square has been and their rush to improve the servers. (which did a freaking /lot/. LIke wow, the servers just go so much better after their upgrades).

They just did such a good job with it, the worlds, the races, everything. Is just. wow. You go square. Four for you square.

18. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

19. libregkd -

20. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

I can buy it on ps3 no problem but the missus wants it on PC. maybe i can buy a digital copy from amazon or something?[DOUBLEPOST=1378603722][/DOUBLEPOST]nope that didn't work