Square-Enix Final Fantasy XV [the game formerly known as Versus XIII]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

That doesn't even really seem to make sense though. XIII was largely more modern than most of the other games, but what about FFVII, FFVIII, and even X and XII to a point. They were fantasy, but they were a lot more modern than most of those older series. You'd have to give a real definition of what you think "Final Fantasy" is, because I don't really see what you're actually complaining about.

FFXV may be different setting, but it's got the backstory, it's got the creatures, it's got the magic, it's got pretty much everything the past games did, just with more modernization to it.

2. Rhyagella Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't mind modern elements in the games as it was presented in the games you mentioned or really some of the things they are adding into this game (I have a feeling you believe I'm talking just about modern cars or tvs or something), but XIII took it further than any of the other titles (mostly with the final game and how it handled the series at the end) and now it seems like we're being put into a world that is trying to resemble our world more than it should or ever has.

Yes it has monsters ("demons") and magic (though nothing like it ever was from what I have seen), but the world itself has started to change a lot and I don't appreciate it as a fan. Though it simply having creatures or magic doesn't make it "Final Fantasy". It is how the world presents it. The games have almost always had modernized elements in it (especially beyond FFV), but they presented it in a way that fit with the worlds they showed us. I suppose the best way to say it is that as a fan it is getting harder and harder for me to see things that drew me into the series in the newer games. Compare them and the things largely recognizable about the series gets weaker and weaker. I don't suspect my opinion is a very likable one (especially to those waiting years for this game), but that's one I have as someone who has adored the games since the 90s.

edit

posted before I could finish. sorry about that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I understand perfectly. Final Fantasy games have always been "high fantasy" set in clearly mythic worlds but you don't like how FFXV is "low fantasy" where it takes place in a realistic world with fantasy elements.
    I half agree, half disagree but only because I haven't experienced any part of the game or it's related media yet.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Great cinematic trailer:

Oh and some moogle stuff:

Also there seems to be plans for online co-op with future DLC after the individual character DLCs have been released.

Source

FFXV DLC Concept Art - Episode Gladiolus 1
    [​IMG]

FFXV DLC Concept Art - Episode Gladiolus 2
    [​IMG]

FFXV DLC Concept Art - Episode Prompto 1
    [​IMG]

5. libregkd -

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Square Enix is willing to consider making DLC starring Luna if the fan demand is high enough, so that's cool.

7. Jin うごかないで

Hoping that the coop dlc and the bloodborne inspired dlc area will be fun . hopefully they make luna playsble since theyre thinking about making her playable as another dlc

8. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

inb4 Lightning

9. libregkd -

10. Jin うごかないで

I need a place where I can vent about the ending just a little but I understand not a lot of people might have finished it at this point , hell I didn't wanna finish it until I did everything else but here goes.

Alright so , Once I hit chapter 9 the game was kinda vague with the points of no return , I wanted to do the cursed canvas side quests but I didn't know how , so I thought maybe I had to go through the MSQ to progress a little in altissia , little did I know we litterally had about 2 main story quests in altissia and the game was somewhat vague about putting me to the end of the game from the span of chapter 9 to chapter 15 and hell , i'm not mad about this , come chapter 14 I've done everything I needed do , had a great gameplay sequence up until now but then it pulls the Ocarina of time move on me? not technically i guess , technically Noctis was comatose'd for 10 years? and in this time since he was not around the daemons became a lot more powerful , daylight doesn't even exist anymore because Noctis has been absent for so long. Then we get to the end of the game , fighting Ardyn who'se revealed to be the first King of Lucis , having absorbed daemons into his body 2000 years ago to bring about peace but in the process the Astrals deemed him unclean for taking the that much of a burden on himself and outcasting him from his own kingdom. in following sequence we say a last farewell to our friends , as the daemons errupt alongside Ardyn. And then just...Noctis sits on his throne , basically telling the knights of the round (past kings of lucis in this game) to trust in his decision , they all know what he's about to do and the knights of the round don't work off of protecting their own throne as we know from the movie , Kingsglaive , so 12 of them oblige to help Noctis in his final efforts , All excepts Regis. Regis knowing what his son has endured on his journey hesitates for a moment before accepting to be the one to stab his own son through the stomatch with The sword of the father , sending Noctis into the afterlife (or the crystal , at least thats what it looks like it seems to be that the kings of lucis merge with the crystal as the environment looks like what it did when we met Bahamut within the crystal) we see that Ardyn is there? and I pressume this is a cycle of rebirth or something simmilar for Ardyn because he must be the Darkness within their "star" that Luna always referred to because what ensues is Noctis using the final power of the ring of Lucii to end Ardyn in the afterlife so that he could never return and it would indeed purge all the Daemons from the world. Noctis having to be the crowned king of light , took the burden on himself to end his own line of Royals as well , because in the midsts of all this overuse the ring seems to fade as well , unless that just means the ring is still physically on him? but the ring of Lucii works kind of like the avatar state if I had to make a refference , if it's broken while in use and the current king of lucis dies while using it , it's said that the past knowledge of kings will be broken and the ring itself will become useless , from this we know that the Lucis Caelum line has ended. The final post credits scene is what I want to talk about , in this afterlife is he truly happy with Lunafreya? or is it just his mind within the crystal? trying to keep him happy? we see the world begin to reshape itself from the self sacrifice of both the King and Queen and we get a tragic but beautiful ending, Look I love this ending for what it is , but it hurts to feel like this honestly , I feel like I had to explain the ending as well cause a lot of people have been lost on the ending but this is what sense I could make out of it , I just wanted everyone in this game to be happy. But it feels nice that square went for a not so happily ever after ending.

God it was a journey but I'm not sure how to feel.

11. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Jeez... I have a lot to talk about this game..

Personally, I'm still only at Chapter 3 (Because with a game like this, I really want to take my time with it and do most of the side stuff first), but I watched my cousin play the game from start to finish and holy crap. I would divide the game into two parts. The first part is the open-world part, while the second part is the linear part.

Based on my personal save file, I really, REALLY had an enjoyable experience. All of the hunts and side quests that require fetching stuff like dog tags or minerals can get a bit tedious, but it gives me a reason to just get in the Regalia or ride a Chocobo and just explore the large, beautiful world.

As a person who usually plays a lot of action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts series, Tales of the Abyss, DMC4, FF Type-0, and FF VII: Crisis Core in a way) the combat, is in my opinion, great. Now granted, the camera can be a pain (Heck, the camera in KHII:FM is better than XV's), especially with the foliage blocking my view of the action, but XV's combat can be quite simple as holding the attack button until you win (At least, when the enemies either have low defence/HP or if your level is way higher than the enemies), but for the tougher enemies it requires a bit of strategy like utilizing certain techniques, parrying and blindsides (even better when it is a link strike), magic, etc. , which is why it is really satisfying when I manage to kill enemies like the Ronins, or the Iron/Red Giants within the night at low levels.

Now the story itself, well it started out great as the once peaceful road trip suddenly turns into a royal tomb hunt throughout the world of Eos when the Siege of Insomnia occurred, but it kinda becomes a bit of a mess once we get to the linear part, which starts after Luna's death. Although the last two chapters in the story makes up for it in my opinion. and it is really satisfying when facing Ardyn and we end up finally killing him. There are some parts in the game that make me feel emotional but the ending truly turns it up to 11 (Especially that ending scene between Noct and Luna)

Now as a person who really likes to connect with the characters in video games, this game has a lot of likable characters, whether they are protagonists, antagonists, or side characters. Even so, the four chocobros are the true stars in this game. It is really nice that each of the four main protagonists have their own distinct personalities, with how Prompto is the laid-back cheerful one who does his best to cheer up the group even in drastic times, how Ignis is the intellectual and responsible one, Gladiolus is the big brute that acts as the protector of the group, and Noctis is the guy who started out as an irresponsible prince who cares for his friends, who in the end became a grown-up, responsible man fit for a king. He is also one of the most tragic characters in FF history as not only did he lose his home, his father and his love interest throughout the game, but he is destined to sacrifice himself to save the world (a destiny in which Noctis accepted in the last two chapters), which he did in the end. It is why the banter between Noctis and his friends throughout the game feel natural. Ardyn is a great antagonist who reminds me a lot of Kefka where he can be this eccentric man that can be dangerous when he can be, and that his reasoning behind his actions made me feel a bit of sympathy to him (Because the past kings were dicks to him and screwed him over). Lunafreya is this character where seeing the flashbacks can give an idea on what her character is like, but I feel like I want to see more of her when she died. I also wanted to see more of Aranea Highwind as she I like that even though she is working with Niflheim as a paid mercenary, she does not blindly follow them. Speaking of Niflheim, I think Verstael, Ravus and Iedolas are really wasted as characters as they have very little screen-time (Especially Verstael), and to make it worse they were killed off-screen and turned into Daemons. If you don't like the characters well, then you will not appreciate the ending, as I felt truly devastated throughout the entire ending (BTW, my favorite part was when Noctis and Ardyn had a last stand-off and the vibe gave me a feeling of KH's "My friends are my power!", but with the past kings and his love interest included.)

TL, DR: Even if the story feels off in the second half, FF XV is a very enjoyable game with (mostly) great characters, a beautiful big open-world, a great combat system and a beautiful ending which gave me lots and lots of feels.

Also, since Tabata was the one who directed this game I wonder who has it worse? Zack Fair or Noctis?

12. Jin うごかないで

Hell since I have a theory that Noctis' afterlife is still trapped in the crystal I'm not sure , atleast Zack is somewhat happy in the afterlife? I'm pretty sure Noctis is just .... y'know , crying internally because of the fact he'll never be able to see luna? but thats just a tragic theory to me , and cause Noctis faded or merged into the crystal after Ardyn , god knows this game hurt me really badly, I might replay ff7 or something else to make me feel good , 120 hours of nonestop playing and i'm just left empty , it was a beautiful but sad ending

13. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Well Gentiana/Shiva did say that the Oracle and the King are meant to be together, so my headcanon is that Noct and Luna are inside the crystal, where they are happily married

I cried internally in the ending so hard that it leaked out from the inside.

14. Jin うごかないで

Another thing I couldn't handle was ignis , My favorite out of the companions , reliable , humorous when he wants to be , intelligent but basically the mom of the group , he's always been my favorite...but why did he have to become blind? that hurts me as well , I just wanted everyone to be happy

15. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Well seeing as I played Type-0 and Crisis Core before FFXV... I kinda expected bad stuff to happen... I expected Luna to die (But not like at the end of the first half of the game.), but Ignis being blind? Jeez, that was a bit too much for me to bear and I had to pause the game for a few minutes.

Well, from now on if we see that Tabata is heavily involved in a FF game (Director, producer or writer), expect that the game will be quite dark, and that it will give you DA FEELS... D:

16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I honestly can't tell if I find Type-0 or XV darker and sadder. Both have that setting of the world at war, but with Type-0 the whole point is turning the war around and inning it, which eventually leads to the end of the world and the class giving up their lives, but with XV it's more of the world being at war, and the protagonists are pulled into it, and they end up fighting a losing battle the whole way, eventually winning in the final bout, all because the villain wanted to get revenge the way he wanted. I mean, as a whole, I'd say XV was darker and more depressing, just because the whole story was just one lose after another, but it's just ridiculous.[\spoiler]

17. Arch Mana Knight

Still gotta do a lot of optional stuff but I finished this game tonight. All I can say is that it was worth the wait. Even though I have some complaints about the game it was seriously one of the best games I've played with some extremely epic set pieces.

Plenty of side characters needed more background but since the story is all from Noctis's point of view... I guess it makes sense.

18. libregkd -

19. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

20. libregkd -