Support Firefox using 300MB-400MB of RAM

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hayabusa, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

I've tried a lot of things already: turning off hardware acceleration, turning off all of my extensions, creating a new profile, changing different config files, trying new extensions, etc. The best I was able to get was around 150MB by turning off all of my extensions, but at that point, I may as well be using Chrome, which I WOULD (only uses about 80MB-90MB) but I really prefer having the Firefox extensions I have right now. Palemoon wasn't much better, and Waterfox is only marginally better while missing the extensions I really like.

Are there any other things I could do to fix this? Should I jump ship to Chrome, or some other browser? I'm really getting fed up with the memory leaking.

2. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Memory leak probably. I'm not sure how to fix it. Could be a bug.

EDIT: missed the memory leak part. =S

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Unless it's causing performance problems, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine uses a lot more:

Firefox.png

Are you on the latest version? Each update fixes memory issues.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

So, just more of Firefox's great programming, huh? And to think it's been my favorite browser for a while...

It's kind of obvious, but yes, I'm on the latest version: I update the browser every time a new release comes out.

And though it's usually a workable speed, Firefox sometimes slows down to the point where a new page becomes an old school PS2 loading screen. It's also becoming harder and harder to use when Chrome suffers none of this speed issue.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah my Firefox usage is in the like 600MB range. Chrome iirc uses more of the CPU but less RAM, Firefox is vice versa.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

How fast would you describe your browsing with Firefox? Lately, I've seen sites like KH-Vids taking as long as 15 seconds to load just one full page of posts, and I'm really getting tired of it and considering trying out other, less well-known browsers, just so I don't have to deal with this memory leak.

7. Misty gimme kiss

Never anything close to that (stuff loads in seconds), which leads me to believe it's probably a problem on your end rather than with Firefox.

This page has a lot of good info, though it sounds like you've tried a few of the suggestions already: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram

You may also want to try uninstalling Firefox completely (use something like Revo Uninstaller) and then reinstalling it.

8. Hayabusa Venomous

I've tried most of that stuff, including resetting Firefox, but I just ended up back at around 400MB...I've only had my laptop for like, a month, and the browser's already gotten this slow. Am I doing something wrong?