Digital Art First Signature

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Britishism, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Okay, so, this is my first actual signature, so it probably sucks. Anyway, I made it on GIMP, and it's pretty simple/bad.

[​IMG]

CnC, if you'd be so kind.

2. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

Sho~~~

The background is very good (Maths FTW). Maybe a edit or two to Sho could improve it?

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

It is small, mostly white with a dark render, and you saved it as a .JPG. That is your first mistake. Always save as .PNG, and if you use multiple layers, then save a version as .XCF without merging or flattening for later editing.

Because it has some contrast in one part and not in the others, it comes off as ugly. The C4D brushes in the background do not match the render's colour scheme, and they are almost too bright to see. The same could be said about the numbers to the left. They do not stand out enough and do not complement the render. Because of the lighting, the render seems paled and does not stand out much itself besides setting a focal point in the center of his face. Furthermore it is a bad render and I can see white pixels hanging off of his shirt and collar. The entire picture looks very flat and lacks depth as well as flow, or direction it is going. It is just sitting there, and that is kind of annoying.

Aside from saving it in higher quality, my first advice is to pick colors out of your render and stick with things close to those until you get a feel for what matches with your focals. More important than that is a need to make sure that you do not have too much light or dark in your signature. Everything in your signature needs to complement your focal point, or the entire things will look disjointed and slapped together at the last minute. If you want any specific tips that make things stand out more, then PM me or otherwise contact me and I will see what I can do.

4. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

: D.
    Thanks, really. This was a lot of help, you're quite knowledgable. I knew a little of this stuff, but was really unable to put it into practice. This really fleshes out the things I was confused, or bad at. I understand about the render and image quality, and will take this into account. About the numbers, however, they were meant to be barely noticeable, or faded. Anyway- thanks, so much.

5. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Next time you want the text to seem faded, I recommend putting it on a separate lower and lowering the opacity instead of making the color barely visible. It adds depth on top of blending.

6. Daxa~ #stalker

Anything I post will look like a two year olds opinion compared to Makazes long artful masterpiece of a critique.
    But meh.
    ONWARDS.

I think,that overall its lovely. And rather good for a first signature.
    The background is very nice,and looks very dramatic.
    The picture/stock thingy at the side though...
    Well,it kinda sticks out. And is not blended in enough or something,which makes it look like it was just thrown on.
    But overall,dear,it is rather great.
    Very nice work,and please keep it up~
    <3

7. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I agree with Makaze here, though overall, it's not a bad signature.
    What I'd recommend doing is, as Makaze mentioned make the entire sig's colorscheme go along with the render's color. I'd say make the numbers and c4d darker (that might be fixed with matching the render's color), maybe make the numbers's font a little smaller, and last, but not least, blend the render a little more.

One way to blend the render is to duplicate the renderlayer a couple of times (so that you have three layers, two to use and one as a backup), smudge the bottom layer, turn down the opacity. Take the top layer, (idk how you do this in GIMP, but its probably similar to PS), select the render, feather the selection, inverse selection and delete.
    Let me know if that works, as far as blending goes.

8. Jin うごかないで

Looks pretty nice to be honest..and I've said this 100 times before , better than anything i could make. xD