Support Solved FRAPS

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't use FRAPS that often, but @gracker221 currently is for his Sea Dogs let's play, and neither of us understands why it takes up so much room.

To quote him for an example:
    Another example is me: I once recorded about five hours worth of Dark Cloud, and, if I recall correctly, it only took about 8 GB of space, whereas if I had done that on FRAPS, it probably could have been about 50 GB or something.

Edit: I use Roxio for non-computer projects.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. Ɍeno Traverse Town Homebody

I don't think Fraps actually compresses the video so it ends up being a ridiculous size. Once the video's been rendered however you can then delete the original raw recoring. You could also try lowering some of the quality settings such as fps, audio and resolution.

You could try another software such as Hypercam or Bandicam.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Use Dxtory: http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

Fraps records things uncompressed which is why it takes up so much space, it also cuts off each file once it hits around 4GB which is why there are multiple files. It's not a bad thing though, if you put them together in order you will not notice a difference. That being said, you should still use Dxtory, to say it is better than fraps is an understatement.

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Minor correction, fraps uses a custom codec, not straight uncompressed. That being said, it isn't that good of one (the idea being to prioritize low latency over low file size).

If you have the disk space you could use fraps and then compress once you are done. (keep in mind you need enough room to have both files at once). That being said, I would agree that Dxtory is a better choice on the surface (I've never used it myself). Looks like a lighter weight on the system and (what we care about here) you can use any codec if you don't like the native one.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Forgot to ask, but how do you manually compress it?

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Just use any editor or converter utility that will allow you to choose a codec.

I personally like to use VirtualDub for AVI files. Just be warned that if you fail to pick a video codec it will default to uncompressed. Those files become simply massive.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thankfully, I use FRAPS rarely, but good to know for future reference.

This can be locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.