Frozen 2

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by Magick, May 6, 2015.

1. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

So Frozen 2 was announced as officially being in production.

It kind of stuns me how big of a hit it was. From the nod to homosexuals to the very apparent child abuse to the song and dance numbers we all know and love from Disney, it was a big hit.

Honestly I'm hoping the sequel kind of explains more about the first movie. It felt rushed and half done to me and some explanations would be nice. It'd also be cool to see cameos from other characters, or nods towards the various theories involving the Little Mermaid, Tangled and Tarzan.

So overall I'm kind of meh and a little apprehensive for the sequel. But regardless, it's going to make millions off of little girls everywhere.

2. Misty gimme kiss

We all knew it was coming -- Frozen is Disney's biggest cashcow in years, possibly ever. In keeping with the Disney sequels tradition, I imagine it will be underwhelming for fans of the first movie, and more of the same issues the first movie's critics found. Hopefully the short included with Cinderella is no barometer to judge by, I found it a bit painful to watch personally, but I also realize I'm not the target audience and it was intended to draw crowds for Cinderella.

I hope that the sequel will focus more on the relationship between Anna and Elsa. I know that Frozen is lauded (wrongly) as Disney's "sisterhood movie," but it's lacking more realistic elements of sisterhood for me. Lilo & Stitch was fantastic in that there was an actual dynamic between Lilo and Nani -- they fought and got frustrated with one another but we always saw there was a real love between them. Forzen lacked any real strife between Anna and Elsa, beside perhaps Anna not understanding why Elsa shut her out all those years, but even that was hardly acknowledged or explored. They have great set-ups with the first movie, too -- Anna and Elsa are basically strangers to one another, and it'd be great to see them get to know one another as adults; they dealt with grief over their parents' deaths separately, and such a pain could definitely be explored; and so on.

Maybe I want too much out of my Disney films, but given its popularity, Frozen has to earn its keep with me. Most of all, though, I want no love interest for Elsa.

3. 61 No. B

I don't know what your reasons are, but I think it could work well if done right. I wouldn't want Anna to be relegated to the position of that girl who always has love trouble.

But I have no investment in this franchise. I probably won't even see the sequel.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I'm in the mood to give Frozen credit, so I'll support the belief that Elsa's storyline was a conscious metaphor for mental illness. I think there's a lot more nuance left to explore there (not to say that that should be the character or the movie's exclusive focus), as well as my call for the movie to focus more on the relationship between the sisters. A romantic subplot for Elsa would detract from either (or both) paths. I'm fine with Anna and Sven having a role, as a couple, in the film, but pairing one sister off in the first film and then the other in the second just seems like Disney doing more of the same. There are far more interesting directions Disney could take. I'm sure an Elsa romance could be done well and tastefully, but I'd rather not.

5. 61 No. B

Okay let me rephrase that, I think it could work, but I don't necessarily think it should be done. I agree with everything you said going on the assumption that there's more of that character to be examined, but I'm not convinced we'll ever see that. The ending to the first movie had a fairly strong sense of character resolution from what I remember. I kind of doubt they'll go much deeper into the ideas presented in the first movie; I expect an almost entirely new direction thematically while keeping what made the first one successful (sisterhood, girl power, talking snowmen). Even though Frozen raised the bar fairly high, I'm not sure it's capable of overcoming Disney's notorious reputation with sequels. I doubt they'll give their new baby to staff they didn't trust to do it justice, but still..
    and with that I've put more speculation into Frozen than I ever cared to

6. Glen Returned from the dead

Uh, Misty, I'm not sure if you remember but Sven's the reindeer. I don't think Anna's going for that kinda thing. I mean, if she does then good for her but I can't see it.

As for the sequel itself, i'm not excited about it at all. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed Frozen, but I think it's one of those films that had its time and now needs to stop before they ruin it.

7. Misty gimme kiss

I said exactly what I meant.

( This is embarrassing, but I'm too humored by it to edit it. )

8. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

I might watch it if the trailer is decent. I hoping to see more people that have supernatural powers or at least see a flash back of how Elsa got her powers in the first place (my guess is the one piece theory)

9. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Not everyone reads One Piece, care to explain what you mean?

Also I'm not really hyped I'm just so done with Frozen.

Where's Big Hero 6 part 2 gimme that

10. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm saying that Elsa ate something that cause her to have winter powers (also just google one piece and you'll know a lot about it)

at least see the trailer when it comes out before you make an decision but yea it might be crap

that's not gonna happen till 2020

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's been a hot second, but Frozen II comes out in two months—on November 22. It sees Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven leaving Arendelle to solve the mystery of Arendelle's magical past.

[​IMG]

Joining the cast are Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld, Across the Universe) as Queen Iduna, Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2, Frida) as King Agnarr, Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us, Black Panther) as Lt. Destin Mattias, Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope, The Good Wife) as Yelana, Rachel Matthews (Happy Death Day, Looking for Alaska) as Honeymaren, and Jason Ritter (Gravity Falls, Parenthood) as Ryder. Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, and Santino Fontana all reprise their roles from the first film. Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez once again are writing the movie's music.

Check out the three trailers below: